Notices

The key

Old 04-13-2011, 07:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The key

I finally realized that the key to knowing whether or not you are an alcoholic is NOT how often you drink, just on weekends, etc....but what HAPPENS to you EACH AND EVERY TIME you drink.

When I drank, I could never stop until I blacked out and passed out...UGH.

Can anyone relate?

Kelly
Old 04-13-2011, 07:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh yea.

I never blacked out but I drank until it was time to lay down.

It wasn't always that bad but the last couple of years had gotten worse and what happend everytime I drank was made a fool of myself if there was anyone around to see it.

Best case was I was drunk and passed out before the wife got home.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can relate to that, I would start in as soon as I got home from work (if I waited that long) and then drink till I went to sleep (passed out). Most mornings I could not remember the conversations or television shows from the night before. I finally figured out missing over half the day with my family was not the way to go through life.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think this is a very important observation for lots of reasons. First, I could always not drink on a given night. But if I had a drink it was "game on." It's hard to believe how serious it was, but I've been cut off a couple of times--which shocked me because of course, you know, I kept saying, "I'm not an alcoholic."

The other problem is that if we believe that we just don't do it well a couple times a week, we keep trying to do it better....
Old 04-13-2011, 07:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Kelly - yes, that's it exactly. Took me years to realize it, & even then I kept insisting I could control it if I used enough willpower. It's not about willpower.

I have a friend who used to proudly say he only drank on holidays or vacations. That was true, but he got trashed every time & took days to recover. Finally the special occasions turned into every weekend, then daily drinking. He went into rehab, shocked that his life could be so out of control.

Glad you are aware, Kelly - and yes, I do relate.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Rehab

I go in April 20, for 35 days - but I have great fear that rehab won't "lift my obssession to drink"....ugh.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good luck with the rehab, you can do it, LET them help you.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KellyEurope View Post
I go in April 20, for 35 days - but I have great fear that rehab won't "lift my obssession to drink"....ugh.
Maybe it won't lift your obssession, but maybe give you the tools to deal with that obssession.

The obssession eases.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

sometimes i could have 4 beers a night with no ill effects ,so i thought i had it under control.
but all i had succeeded in doing was lighting a long fuse that sooner, usually than later blew up into uncontrollable drinking which might last up to two weeks.
hundreds of dollars later/missed work ,angry customers..gf going ballistic.
my whole life down the toilet........and then the WITHDRAWL period.
god that is the worst feelings i have ever had or want to have,the emotional distress was indescribable. the remorse and guilt???
being all alone in the middle of the night in the pit .head racing a million miles an hour /total abject despair..............i NEVER NEVER will go back to that hell.
i hope you never have to either .......good luck in rehab......make it count you may never have another chance
Old 04-13-2011, 05:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Oh yes, alcohol turned me into a person that I hated. And, even when I wasn't drinking, I still hated myself.

I'm glad you've got a rehab plan.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KellyEurope View Post
You get out of it what you put in it. If you are bound and determined to quit -for good, you will go in with a different atttitude. If you aren't sure then you will be more pessimistic and failure is inevidable. It can happen that way...when I went there were alot of people that 'weren't sure'. You have to let them help you to be sure...to want to quit...to want to change. It's ultimately up to you -no one else.
I was ready...I was in a mindset that nothing, I mean nothing, was going to get in my way of my sobriety and staying there.
It may not "lift" your obssession but it will give you the tools to know how to change your obssession -and that's what we want -change!
I wish you luck...I absolutely love rehab.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Definitely the way it is for me as well. I drink till I pass out. Just a few drinks just leaves me with a terrible desire for more, and more. No matter how many times I have attempted moderation that never changes.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yes I can relate. My body loves alcohol. After the first drink I can't drink fast enough. I want more and more. I don't stop until I pass out or black out. Its a sick disease