Notices

Day Three and Blackout Wakeup Call

Old 04-13-2011, 04:27 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I've probably only had about ~10 blackouts and I hate going there. It only happens after something distressing happens to me and I want to get as drunk as possible, or I have "too much fun" and don't realise that I've had enough for the night. The only positive is that people tell me I'm a happy drunk when I can't remember what happened the night before.

I haven't had a blackout for a few months as I've only been drinking six packs at a time and avoid buying hard liquor as I'm cheap, and I really hate the hangovers. But you know you have a problem when you're drinking a carton or 2 every week and just generally feel unwell all the time.

Wake up calls can be very sad, and disturbing but sometimes it's exactly what we need to motivate ourselves to get better.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:47 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
dfw

I used to drink until I blacked out with alarming frequency on the weekends. Whether you believe you're an alcoholic or a "problem drinker"...it's all semantics. Either way you know that YOU have a problem. And if your family is denying it, that doesn't change how YOU feel. The parable "actions speak louder than words" applies to us both sober and drunk, and irregardless you need to deal with your problem in some way; be it therapy, AA, or a combination of both.

We can all relate to your problems on some level. In my first AA meeting I learned that people hit "the bottom" at different points in their lives. Even if you can't convince yourself you've hit bottom, why let it happen in the first place?