Notices
View Poll Results: Do you count sober days?
Yes, I count sober days.
53.68%
No, I do not count sober days, but celebrate sober anniversaries.
29.41%
No, I do not count sober days or celebrate sober anniversaries.
16.91%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Counting Sober Days

Old 04-11-2011, 06:02 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I started counting in the beginning, but found it rather counter productive, i was always too focused on NOT making it that i needed to stop. I am sober day by day, but am now of the mindset that i will be for the forseeable future, so day by day means living the day...not focusing on staying sober for that day.

I am thankful to be at that point.

But I also say, if it works to count...count!
Old 04-11-2011, 06:09 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

One problem with counting days is when you mess up or relapse on something that is not your DOC, for example, alcohol is not my DOC, but one time I had a couple of glasses of wine and I had to start my days over. This got me thinking, since I have to start my days over, I might as well live it up then on my DOC, whereas if I wasn't counting days I may not have done this
Old 04-11-2011, 06:27 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

In the past, approaching "milestone" dates, seemed to act as a trigger for me. There are more than enough triggers out there that are out of my control, so the only day I count is today. As long as I'm clean today, that's all that really matters.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:26 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

When I first quit some years ago I counted days. I got to a couple thousand than relapsed a few times. Now I don't count, I'd have to get a calender out to figure out my last drunk, but it doesn't matter much to me anymore.

I haven't drank since I got up this morning and I won't drink before I go to bed. Today was successful. Tomorrow with the help of my higher power I'm gonna try and repeat that.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:49 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Considering this is my first (and last) 'real' quit...I'm counting! Not to the exact day because I know its 70-something.
After drinking for 30 years and never keeping track of my attempted sobriety...I am now. I tried quitting so many times in so many ways...I have no idea. Now it means something.
It has changed my life, my thinking, my habits, my spirituality and my outlook on how I view the world and myself.
It also gives me a barrier between my past life and my future. Knowing that before that date I have to forgive myself to move on in sobriety -and understand that it was addiction driven. To understand there were supressed feelings and emotions, there were lies and denial.
What lies now and ahead is a new surreal life of sobriety. Open, clean and honest.

I'm not asking for a gold watch every yearly quarter but I think its' important for us as addicts in a supportive setting to encourage others that are struggling by showing them success can be won and that we need to proceed in our daily battles of overcoming this monster. Wow, that was a long sentence.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:00 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I did. Up to 90 days. Now I plug my date into the sobriety counter once in awhile to see where I am at. Somewhere in my time frame...not sure where..but NOT drinking is normal to me now. And SOMEWHERE in my time frame..alot of ANGER has left me. But..I still cry easily. I thank GOD that He gave me two daughters. I am grateful. I was watching my grandson play football (I think it is weird that they play football in April..but what do I know?) anyway this kid on the other team gonked helmets with a kid on our team. The one kid reached out to help the other kid to his feet..and the kid wasn't moving. I cried. The ambulance came and he gave us 2 thumbs up as they wheeled him past us on the stretcher. Having daughters I never had to experience all the contact sports. Well basketball but that was just a couple of sprained ankles. BUT had I had boys..they would be girly boys because I cannot STAND to see anyone get hurt. And all I wanted to say is.. I agree with the poster above. Sobriety is my new addiction.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:11 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes...I counted days..then months...now years.

I'm tickled to help our SR members celebrate milestones.

How do I celebrate my personal DOS?
I've made it a practice to attend a meeting of my home group
anonymouslly adding an extra contribution to the basket

I want to keep those dorrs open for anyone interested in AA
Old 04-12-2011, 03:56 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Oh I definitely counted hours then days then months. I am nearing 1 year and while I won't have bells and whistles it is a day I will enjoy sober and each year I will reflect and be proud of the fact I rose up and made a better life for myself.

The date that is most important to me is my son's birthday because that is a blessing and only through sobriety and recovery would I be the best mom I can be to him.

SR has been here the entire journey so far and will continue to be
Old 04-12-2011, 04:08 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I kept track of the days for about the first six months. Now, if I really want to know, I just plug the date into the soberiety calculator. I find this helps give me some perspective on my recovery progress. BTW, today is Day 660 for me!

As for posting milestones, I love to see it. In fact, the VERY first post that I ever read here was someone posting about one year sober. That really got me thinking that WOW...I'd love to be able to say that someday. That was nearly two years ago
Old 04-12-2011, 10:18 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

The only time I've counted was when I was getting close to my 1st year birthday. I didn't do a countdown or anything but I was relatively aware that it was coming up. I've never been a day counter though.....not for the end of school, days till Christmas or my birthday as a kid, nothing. It just doesn't mean much, if anything, to me.

AA birthdays mean something to me though...... I still don't count the days but I do look forward to my annual b-day.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:58 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I like to count my celebrations. 7 As everyday sober is a celebration.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:15 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Wink

a week from tomorrow i will be sober 3 times longer than i was in 91' i guess i keep track a little bit..
Old 04-12-2011, 02:23 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I counted the first three months as a lot of people seem to say that was the crucial period. Then I stopped. I am still vaguely aware of my sober date/time but often nearly forget anniversaries.

I often relapsed or nearly relapsed at 'milestones' of recovery because of the instinct to 'celebrate' or think I was 'cured', so anniversaries still make me nervous, I tend to hang out at support sites more at these times. My traditional way of 'celebrating' was with alcohol because as we know any excuse will do.

I have tried to turn my thinking around though and now reward myself in more positive ways. I don't mind the idea of chips or sober birthdays at AA actually, I do think they can help reinforce and support the new sober identity, but life is more than just about recovery and counting every day sober
Old 04-14-2011, 09:59 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I don't know of anyone who has gotten sober (that struggled with addiction) and doesn't know how much time they have, be it in days or months or years.

I think Zencat summed it up best- every day sober is worth celebrating. So to borrow an expression that I've always hated 'whatevers clever' - do it!

I did 30, 60, 90 (AA) and then switched to months. I do pull up AA History Sobriety Calculator from time to time and check my 'balance' cuz sometimes it just feels good to see how many days have ticked by so far but now I really just focus on when I hit the day of the month. I'll be happy when I can change that to what day of the year! :P

FWIW I think addiction and recovery are both a day at a time. I couldn't get drunk today to insure I'd be drunk this Sunday and I don't believe that by staying sober today I guarantee I'll be sober on Sunday. Hence living, drunk/high or sober was/is a 'day at a time' experience.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:03 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

Sometimes I do stop and count. Sometimes it just doesn't matter how much or little time I have. I think it just depends upon what life throws at me at any given moment.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:33 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I check on my sober days count about once a week / week and a half now. I was a bit obsessive to begin with but the 100 days milestone passed without me noticing it or counting down to it. I have a feeling that as time goes by i'll check even less.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:54 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

Is that what Henry Rollins would do? Sorry, couldn't resist. Big fan.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:46 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

106 days sober here, and every one of them has been a miracle for this alcoholic.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:55 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

In the beginning I counted days, then months now I am on years. But since I was wondering I went to the counter and I am 5 days short of 1000 so I guess I may count to myself and now I know it will be 1000 on tuesday.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:21 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I use to count but I think it sabotaged me. I am a "bean counter" by day and the more you analyze numbers the crazier things can get. At some point, you can't see the forest through the trees. For me, counting days made me feel like some sort of reward or outcome was nearer once I hit a certain amount of days. In reality, the reward and outcome is the daily blessing of being sober and enjoying the moment now. My twisted addiction mindset somehow made me think and feel that I wouldn't feel better until I hit a certain number of days and that number of days was never today. That in itself would make me relapse. Just me. Everyone is different. Thanks for reading.