Notices

Seeking guidance for lost teen to addiction

Old 04-07-2011, 06:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Seeking guidance for lost teen to addiction

How can I help my 19 year old so whom is lost to his addictions? He just recently spent 29 days in the hospital for a ruined heart and lungs and almost died and did so well for 8 weeks then faltered to smoking weed and has now faltered 3 times total in the past 6 weeks. I can only guess what he had really done. Weed is all he admits to. He was and IV shooter of roxies and mom pulled him from homeless and the streets to save him or try and now he just wants a place to reside during the week it seems. He manipulates me and cannot go back to his dads where this all started for the past 6 years. What am I to do? I am not giving in the manipulation and have left him with his friend and he states he will be on the streets again in a few days as he has not place to stay. I have give him names and shelter information but he states he cannot do that, what am I to do my heart is breaking to see him walk this fine line of life and death, which death is looming.....what do I do?

feeling guilty, but trying.

Mom
Old 04-07-2011, 06:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your situation, but there is not a lot you can do unless and until your son decides he wants to get well.

I hope you can find support for yourself here at SR and at NarAnon. You can also check out our Friends & Families forums on this board.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I feel for you. I know it is easy for me to say, but you shouldn't feel guilty for his behavior. He needs to want to change for himself.
I had just mentioned this at my AA meeting tonight -that it is so sad that people have to learn in such a hard way...even knowing the consequences and having learned tools to remain sober...and just continue and continue on a destructive path.
I know how hard it is to stop but once you're sober its easy to look back and ask yourself why didn't I do that years ago. I hope your son has a breakthrough in recovery and can realize he has his whole life to live. I'm really sorry.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Meow

(((aronld)))

I am sorry for your situation. My great uncle lost his son to the streets of LA for several years. They were fortunate to find him again, but by the time they did his health was not great and he spent the rest of his life in assisted living/nursing homes.

It was devistating for my uncle (my aunt has passed away before this all happened). I'm not sure he ever forgave himself for the situation even though he could do nothing to control it. My cousin was an adult, after all.

You cannot control what your son does, and you cannot change him unless he wants to change. I wish you luck in this journey - it probably won't be fun. Hugs again.