Notices

Socially Confused

Old 04-07-2011, 05:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Socially Confused

Well, hello everyone! This is my first post, and can only sadly say that this is my 2nd day sober. The longest i ever went without a drink is 5 days whitin the last 15 years, due to getting arrested.

Like many here, i also have lost relationships, jobs, family members, licenses, my life etc.... due to being an outrageous pathetic alcholic.

Shockingly to say, being my 2nd day sober i have had no physical withdrawl symptoms yet. The cravings are out of controll though. I just almost gave in, i drove to the beer distributor, sat in the car for 15 min with my head down, till i finally pulled out and went to Boston Market to take home some chicken instead.

Not having any w/d and feeling physically fine, doesnt make up for my anxiety and fear on how to live w/o any alchole. Now that i can think a little clearer, I have no idea on how to live life w/o drinking. My entire adult hood life has revolved around the booze.

My entire social life revolves around alchole.
- After work drink some beers with coworkers
- Weekends here lets go to the bars, maybe ill meet a nice girl and get married (hahahaha)
- Its 90 degrees outside lets go to the beach, dont forget the 30 pack
- 6 of us go fishing, only 1 fishing pole? no bait? and 200 beers in a cooler.
- Memorial Day vacation is official camping weekend. Hmmm thats 8 guys in the woods for 3 days with more alchole and marijuana to offically kill 20 people.

It goes on and on.

Tommorow is Friday, what am i supposed to tell my frineds when they say there picking me up in an hour to go to the bar?

Where on earth and HOW???? do opposite sex meet and actually talk besides going to the bar? (sorry ZERO luck at Barnes and Nobles, and Starbucks) prob cause i was drunk though, and reading a High Times Mag.

Honestly i am determined to seek sobriety, but i can say it seems not hard, but close to impossiable for me at this point. I have 100 reasons that i want to quit, which is backed up with 100 reasons to drink, it equalls out, and then i usually say screw it and crack a beer.

I got to admit though this feels mighty weird being sober at this hour and actually eating a healthy meal from Boston Market. Tommorow is Friday, so i guess lock myself in my house? shut the lights? put the car in the garage? telephone off?

Anyways thanks for sharing your stories and this seems like a great place to start hanging out to learn on how to live life sober. I have found this website on accident.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome...glad you're here cotwo.
I wasn't big on the bar scene -quiet drinker at home so I can't give you advice on what to tell them except the truth. You really don't want to start out sober in a lie...that's what we do when we drink...everything's a lie.
I know for alot of people life revolves around drinking and fun. You will learn how to have fun without drinking booze. Trust me. Ive been sober about 70 days and its all good.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Don't confuse 'everything in my life revolves around drinking' with 'everything in life revolves around drinking'.

If course everything in YOUR life revolves around drinking. You're an alcoholic!

A lot of us have found that in reality being an active alcoholic is quite limiting/isolating. In sobriety I have way, way more options. I no longer turn my nose up at 90% of activities. You know, all the 'lame' ones without booze

Trust in the process, if you can.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome cotwo!

I was totally scared to think about life without alcohol, although I was also scared to think about continuing down the same path.

The only way I could get through early sobriety was taking it one day at a time (or one hour if I had to). Coming here and seeing that I wasn't the only one going through this really helped too.

Right now, just worry about getting to day 3 - that will be enough for you. Keep reading and posting and you'll see how others have been able to get sober and, more importantly, they're so glad they did!
Old 04-07-2011, 05:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah, agreed, not everything in life revolves around alcohol.

You're right that you will need to make some major changes in your life. I had to change a lot of things too. But, you don't need to lock yourself in your house, you can just do things differently. How about going to a gym this weekend, or to a movie this weekend, or just get outside and do something that burns some energy? And, a good way to meet sober people, including women, is to volunteer in your community. There are probably lots of things you could do to give back to your community, and in doing so, meet sober people.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I did have to change my social patterns to quit drinking
and for me...that meant finding new friends who
were interested in a better sober happier future...

Welcome to our recovery community..
Old 04-07-2011, 05:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know... it's tough! i'm just turning 10 .... days sober. Have to say that I did hide away for the bit, but realised that concerts and shows are a good idea for entertainment! There's only an interval in the middle that you have to negotiate without a drink and it's something you can do with one of your more cultured friends...! Good luck, it ain't easy, but it's worth it!
Old 04-07-2011, 05:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I cant beleive that i spelled alcohol wrong almost every time in my original post. Thats dam embarassing! And thanx for the replies.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Welcome!

It's a big first step, asking for help, and make no mistake about it - there is power in the asking.

(said w/ kindness), but you're prob over-thinking things at the moment.

Take it one-day-at-a-time.

If you get sober and stay sober, your views and outlooks will change. Heck, you'll change.

Afterall, the same me will drink again, and again, and again.

Maybe this is true with you too?

Kjell~
Old 04-07-2011, 07:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by cotwo View Post
I cant beleive that i spelled alcohol wrong almost every time in my original post. Thats dam embarassing! And thanx for the replies.
I dunno... "alc-hole" was actually pretty accurate. It puts us in a hole, sometimes a very DEEP hole. With grass growing on top.

Glad you're here.

I found AA to be a great way to make the changes I needed to make in my life. I went almost every evening for the first 90 days, which was great for not feeling at loose ends.

Of course, AA is a lot more than just meetings--still, the meetings are a great way to change how you spend your time in the beginning, and a way to build a network of sober friends.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome cotwo. I'm pretty new here, too.. have found lotsa sober people worth listenin' to.