Notices

Debt collectors and recovery

Old 04-06-2011, 06:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Debt collectors and recovery

Hey world,

I'm TJ and I'm an addict. duh. heh.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any e, s & h regarding the issue of troublesome debt collectors in early recovery. Heres the situation;

I have to contact the Higher Education Student Assistance Authority of NJ and their attorney based on the fact that I am way behind in paying off my student loans (due to obvious reasons, including negligence in active addiction and a four month stint in treatment which will be over in 3 weeks).

I was wondering whether or not I should mention this to them or just tell them it's all for ambiguous 'health reasons.' I could see this reason being an advantage and a detriment to my case and thus I am conflicted.

Also should I make phone calls, just write a letter or both?

I also have to write an appeal to my insurance company regarding their rejection of my claim for assistance with inpatient.

I always suck at picking the right thread to post to, so maybe I need to repost?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
With love and support,
TxJx
Old 04-06-2011, 07:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I would contact them and tell them you have been ill, and unable to work for a time, but that you are committed to making good on your obligations. Ask if they can give you a discrete amount of time to start making payments again.

There are so many defaulted student loans, where people just walk away, they will probably be happy to work with someone who actually WANTS to do the right thing.

This is also something that would be good to bring up with your counselor at rehab. They might also be able to give you some pointers on the insurance appeal. They deal with insurance companies all the time, and might be able to give you some suggestions.

Good luck--you will be on much firmer ground with your recovery when you are meeting your obligations.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had trouble with student loans in the past and found that when I called them and tried to work it out, they were extremely helpful in finding a solution. Usually people who work in that area are pretty understanding vs. other creditors who can be horrible. I think calling and just explaining the truth would be a good idea...just my take on it!
Old 04-06-2011, 10:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've never had student loans but MAN did I get myself in a mess debt wise! I'd do the thing where I'd get offered a credit card, max it out, never pay it... get offered a store credit card, max it out, never pay it... In my defense I was raising a child alone with no child support, but still, I did wrong & was accountable for that debt even if it went for things like school clothes or tennis rackets or new shoes or whatever. After YEARS of owing this money I got clean & sober & knew that part of my recovery was taking care of that debt.

I was honest about why I had not made the effort to pay the debt off before & about why I was determined to take care of it. Not one time was I met with derision, scorn, disgust, or any other derogatory reaction. Everyone was sympathetic, sometimes shared personal stories of friends or family members in the same situation, told me congratulations, relayed 'good luck' & all in all it was a very empowering experience.

I think they are so impressed with someone being honest & TRYING to pay money back that they are more than willing to work with you. At least that has been my experience.

And congratulations on your Recovery!
Old 04-06-2011, 10:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!!!

I didn't have student loans, but I had a ton of credit card debt when I began recovery. In all honesty, there were some things I just could not pay. They were close to reaching the time when they would "fall off my record" and those (there were 1 or 2) I let go. I was even sued, by one, when I was out on the streets, and after a cop came to my door (okay, for a recovering crackhead, THAT was scary) with the papers, I got scared.

I made payments for as long as I could. I haven't heard from them since. The other things I owed, I made payments as I could. I WAS honest...told them what had happened, that I was working a minimum wage job and living at home, had a car payment, and they were always understanding.

I also had a LOT of tickets from when I was using...loitering, being present where drugs are used, kept, or sold, etc. Had no idea they were at $4,000. I managed to get $1000, with my income tax, and went before the judge. He said "2005 was not a good year for you" as he was going through a pile of tickets. I said "no sir, I was on crack" He asked "and now", I said "I've been clean for over a year. He asked me why I waited so long (3 years? maybe) and I told him that I had gotten clean, had been trying to save my money, had $1000 and wanted to see if he would work out a payment plan.

He started going through the tickets, talking to the clerk, then said "Miss ---, I'm allowing you to pay the $1000, and am dismissing the rest of the tickets. You are paid up, continue the good work". Least to say, I was blown away!

I've paid off several bills and actually have 3 credit cards, that I have made only one late payment on (and that was the bank's fault, as they didn't credit it to my account the day I made it). My credit score has gone up 100 points in the past 6 months, though it's still only "fair".

Every debt I've been able to pay, the people have been more than understanding and grateful that I'm paying them.

Telling the truth is up to you. I can only say that it seemed to help me, and like others have said, some debt collectors have had stories of friends/family with addiction issues and were very supportive and willing to work with me.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 04-06-2011, 11:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm currently in the process of running up huge debts through drinking. Wish I could stop. I do find that the worry of the increasing debt is a trigger that makes me drink again.

Bit of a vicious circle really. Guess the advice in this thread to just face up to it and be honest is right.