Mind Altering Substances

Old 04-06-2011, 11:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Mind Altering Substances

Exactly, what is meant by this?
Opinions only please
Old 04-06-2011, 11:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The phrase mind altering always made me think of acid or shrooms, hallucinogenics...but I guess it could be just about ANYTHING that affects your brain function...which could be your diet, over the counter drugs...herbs..etc etc etc
Old 04-06-2011, 11:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it means anything you take to try to alter your mood, to try to make yourself feel differently.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Mind altering substance means a psychoactive drug, and its defined as "a chemical substance that crosses the blood–brain barrier and acts primarily upon the central nervous system where it affects brain function, resulting in changes in perception, mood, consciousness, cognition, and behavior."

Psychoactive drugs sounds hardcore, but it's really any substance you put in your body that effects the Central nervous system. This even includes OTC cough/cold and PM medicines. All "drugs" effect normal bodily function, but only a certain percentage are "psychoactive" and have an effect on the brain. Those are the substances we addicts need to abstain from, while "normal" people, say social drinkers, choose to use in moderation.

there are naturally occurring supplements, foods and vitamins as well as exercise and other activities that all can have a healthy impact on mood, without chemical dependency and other tragic side effects.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

as I refer myself to others. I've been altering my mind for 38 years. Normal, or unaltered, is not something I'm familiar with.
Anyone feel this way too?
Old 04-06-2011, 02:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I think that there is something here that is being missed. That would be mood altering vs mind altering substances.

This is just my personal experience and opinion and I realize that there will be people who do not agree with me but I can respect their opinions and experiences.

I spent many years using a mood altering drug...alcohol. The effects it had on me were but not limited to: personality changes, loss of control, poor judgement, obsession with alcohol, damage to my body and mind, the destruction of family and friends, risk taking behaviors, skewed perceptions of reality, etc... I used alcohol as an escape from reality. I believe this is a good description of a mind altering substance.

I currently am prescribed mind altering medications to manage my mental health issues such as bipolar, PTSD, chronic depression, chronic/acute anxiety. These medications along with therapy affect my brain in a way that life is liveable. They help control the symptoms of these debilitating diseases. I do not get a "high" from taking them. They do not skew my judgement. They do not cause problems in my personal relationships. With them I do not participate in risk taking behaviors. I am not destroying my body with no regard. I do not experience an obsession for these medications. etc... I do not use these medications to escape from reality but rather to live in reality and confront those issues inside of myself that make me at times want to escape from it.

I think that is the difference between a mood altering and a mind altering drug.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Originally Posted by nandm View Post
I spent many years using a mood altering drug...alcohol. The effects it had on me were but not limited to: personality changes, loss of control, poor judgement, obsession with alcohol, damage to my body and mind, the destruction of family and friends, risk taking behaviors, skewed perceptions of reality, etc... I used alcohol as an escape from reality. I believe this is a good description of a mind altering substance.
That should read "mood" altering substance not "mind" altering substance
Old 04-07-2011, 04:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FatRat View Post
as I refer myself to others. I've been altering my mind for 38 years. Normal, or unaltered, is not something I'm familiar with.
Anyone feel this way too?
I do. Before alcohol, it was other substances. I'm just now realizing how abnormal my drinking and drugging has been for so so long...