Notices

stressed

Old 04-06-2011, 05:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Earth Child

stressed

Today i had to go to my drs because i was feeling like i was unreal and wanted to cut off my hand i was seeing things and my voices were a lot louder than normal.
I was sent to see the crisis team and they said that it might be stress i told them that i was going to AA meetings everyday and that i was finding it hard to deal with them because of my social anxiety .... they said it would be an idea to step back from AA and reduce my meetings from 7 days to 4 days a week
The rest of the time i can get support here and from my husband
Also i need to find some thing to do with my time to focus away from whats going on inside my head.
I do things like reading , being on line , watch films and art ( though at crap at it ) but am unsure what else to do
At the moment am at 4 days sober
Old 04-06-2011, 08:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm at day 2 and starting to realize that I've been in my head way too much and obsessing about EVERYTHING way too much. "Why am I like this? How did this happen to me? What's my problem?" Maybe it's a good idea to give your head a break and just step back, tell yourself you're okay the way you are and go easy on yourself. Regard yourself as a friend. Get outside and try to enjoy the things around you: birds singing, sunshine, etc. (sounds cheesy, I know). You're alive and life is a gift. Enjoy it!
Old 04-06-2011, 08:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Willow, I'm really glad that you went to the dr and talked to the crisis team.

I think that balance is always good. I found that getting outside for a long walk every day really helped to clear my head and helped me to feel better physically, too.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

anxiety in early recovery is awful. I remember it well. I did a lot of little things to make myself feel better. A hot chocolate from starbucks, a new pair of sheets or pajamas. Some new tea or a candle. Little self-care things.

Lots of sleep (if possible). Some exercise and good food. And self-talk. "of course you're anxious. you're changing your life. of course you want to drink. you're an alcoholic. of course it's hard, you haven't a clue how to live without alcohol but you'll learn" etc. I tried to consciously tie the unpleasant feelings to some pleasant action. Like "I feel very anxious right now. Maybe a walk will help". Rewiring my brain to look for something other than MORE WINE as a solution.

It does get better. Much, much better. But you HAVE to stay sober. every freaking drink I took just set me back to square one.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Balance is a toughy. I am so sorry you are struggling with voices etc. on top of everything else. Do your very best and try to breathe through this. I'm truly so sorry.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Congratulations on 4 days! Glad you talked to your doctor - early sobriety is definitely stressful, but after 4 days I started to feel a bit more peaceful and optimistic..... I hope it's the same for you.

Be good to yourself and get lots of positive support. I feel bad that you're having so many challenges and hope they get better soon....:ghug3
Old 04-06-2011, 07:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Willow,

Have you ever been on medication for your voices? What do the doctors say about that?

It's pretty scary to be having voices telling you to hurt yourself or other people.

I'm glad you are working so hard on staying sober.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hiya Willow, Congratulations on Day 4
You have come a long way already!

What about the voices? Can you talk to them, fight back, tell them to stfu?

I'm sorry you have to deal with this, hang in there, things will get better

Stacy