Notices

Sober for 77 days..

Old 04-04-2011, 09:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober for 77 days..

I have been sober for 77 days because it's a xmas gift to my wife..I promised to stay sober for 180 days. After which I plan to cut back on my drinking. Trust me when I say that before I quit drinking I was an avid drinker. Every other day for the past 8 years. Just beer of course. My weight balloned over 230 lbs. Since I stopped my weight has dropped to 200 lbs. So my question I tell myself will it be worth it to start back up again. Can someone cut back to just 2 drinks a week. I know quitting forever would be best for myself and my family. But I can't help to think I could possibly have a drink in 3 plus months. Is what I am doing to myself bad for me? Let me know. I am so very confused.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I once quit for 8 weeks - my longest break ever.

Eventually I started drinking again and I didn't just end up where I left off...I picked up where I left off.

If you admit quitting forever is best for you and your family - and yet you have reservations about that....

isn't that a sign that you're not in control here, TD?

D
Old 04-04-2011, 09:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thedude1976 View Post
I have been sober for 77 days because it's a xmas gift to my wife..I promised to stay sober for 180 days. After which I plan to cut back on my drinking. Trust me when I say that before I quit drinking I was an avid drinker. Every other day for the past 8 years. Just beer of course. My weight balloned over 230 lbs. Since I stopped my weight has dropped to 200 lbs. So my question I tell myself will it be worth it to start back up again. Can someone cut back to just 2 drinks a week. I know quitting forever would be best for myself and my family. But I can't help to think I could possibly have a drink in 3 plus months. Is what I am doing to myself bad for me? Let me know. I am so very confused.
I'm sure most here will tell you that its very hard to go back to drinking and moderate it. I agree with that, but I'm also going to attempt it after I dry out for a while. It's been done, so I know it is possible. Good luck to you.

By the way, it's much better being "the dude" than "that guy" isn't it? Congrats on the 77 days
Old 04-04-2011, 10:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I read on here and I can't remember but it said something like "if going the rest of your life without a drink worries you then alcohol may be your biggest enemy".

Most people I know that don't have a problem drinking don't count the days they have been without a drink. I've made it 86 days before, only once, most times it was 7 to 14 days max. I'm at 44 days now and I pray I make I to 87 and well beyond.

I look at people at resturaunts and watch who leaves a drink half full and who gets every last drop, I got every drop and I know I am an alcoholic.

Only you know if your an alcoholic and only you can decide if you need to quit forever, I never visited a forum like this until I thought I had a problem, and even then it took a few years to finally quit this time.

I'm still new to sobriety myself and this is only an opinion, good luck in your journey...
Old 04-04-2011, 10:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on the 77 days!! Alcohol wasn't my "thing"...crack was. I quit for several months, then started "dabbling" here and there...once a month, then once every 2 weeks, then realized I was thinking about it all the time. Was not working any kind of recovery program.

Stayed clean for 5-1/2 months, when someone dropped crack, literally in my face, and I used...a week later, I was on a 2-week relapse, and lost a LOT.

I know crack and alcohol are two different things, but moderation just didn't work for me.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 04-04-2011, 11:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

77 days is awesome. I suggest you go all the way, and quit completely. Take advantage of this opportunity to learn about yourself and find out why you were drinking in the first place. You already lost that weight, think of all the amazing other positive things you can do in your life! Drinking alcohol will only make doing those things harder. And for what?

Best of luck my friend!