Notices

Need Opiate addiction Support

Old 04-02-2011, 06:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need Opiate addiction Support

Hello All,

I am new to this site and I am looking for Opiate addiction support and information. Any advice would be appreciated...
Old 04-02-2011, 06:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome. Can you be more specific as to what info you're looking for? If you'd like, give us some background on your situation. There's nothing we haven't heard...
Old 04-02-2011, 06:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome to the forum! We have a support group for substance abuse:Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

You're also welcome to post here, of course - this is the Newcomers to Recovery section and I'm sure everyone will want to welcome you.

Congratulations on making a decision to take your life back!
Old 04-02-2011, 07:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome babeefox

You'll find a lot of support here

Also check out our substance abuse forum

D
Old 04-02-2011, 07:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well here goes...I have been an Opiate addict going on 18 years, back injury started it, and i am looking to get off the roller coaster that is controlling my life. I have done pills from viccodin to percaset to Oxycontin...whatever is available. I am feeling helpless and scared, dreading the detox. I am uninsured and want to try suboxone but I have heard mixed reviews...I feel so exposed right now but I am at a point where I have no choice but to reach out for help before this destroys my life...
Old 04-02-2011, 07:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know you're uninsured but I really recommend getting professional medical advice about detox from the pills and especially about subs...it's really in your best interests.

I'm not in the US but the 2-1-1 service may be of help - enter your location and I understand you'll get a local number to call for advice and help with health care.

2-1-1 US: Home Page

D
Old 04-02-2011, 07:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing, babefox. I can only imagine being on that ride for 18 years. I was an opiate addict (oxy) for 3 1/2 years, and by the end I feel like I couldn't go on another day. The good news is that recovery is well within reach, and if you commit yourself to it there is a new life waiting for you.

Admitting you have a problem and reaching out for help is the first and most important step in the process. We can't give medical advice, so I think it's important you speak to a professional about your next step. They may or may not recommend suboxone depending your situation. Suboxone can be a life saver if the alternative is living as a junkie or dead, but if being totally off everything is desirable and possible for you, then the downside is you're still opiate dependent and will have to get off it someday.

Have you told anyone in your life about your situation and your desire to quit? All of us addicts get very good at lying and it becomes 2nd nature. If your ready to do this, now is the time to be open and honest with those close to you. There are no secrets in recovery. You will need all the support you can get, and it begins with surrender and honesty. If you are willing to do that, then the rest will fall into place. You may need some type of treatment program, but that all depends on your situation and what's recommended to you by someone who is trained and really knows the details of your situation.

Congratulations on making this big step, and we're here to support you.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you for your time and advice...it is comforting to know I am not alone