Notices

Meeting regularity

Old 04-02-2011, 02:16 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by silly View Post
Is anyone an AA sponsor? What would you tell a potential sponsee like me that feels comfortable with 3-4 a week?
Yes, and as many have said, it really is NOT about attending meetings.

The AA program of recovery is found in the literature, the Big Book and the 12 Steps & 12 Traditions.

You will find the 12 x 12 has considerable depth to the Steps, having been written many years after the BB with significantly more experience.

On pg 39 in Step 3 it says: More sobriety brought about by admission of alcoholism and by attendance at a few meetings is very good indeed, but it is bound to be a far cry from permanent sobriety and a contented, useful life.

I have found recovery is in practicing the Steps daily. It becomes a way of life. Not working them, the BB says, taking the Steps.

May seem like a little thing, but who likes work? : D

So I would look diligently for a sponsor who lives a spiritual life, who practices the Steps as a way of life, not someone who talks a good talk.

What happens when they walk out of the door of a meeting? How do they live their life, at work, at home and with the daily challenges life presents us?

If they live their life that way, have had a spiritual awakening as a result of taking the Steps, they would be a strong candidate to help you accomplish the same.

Great question!
Old 04-02-2011, 02:27 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

90 in 90 won't keep you sober, heck I know people who have gone to AA meetings after having a few.

For me, meetings are important but they are just a part of my recovery process. I probably average 3 meetings a week, and I might increase that if I have time off from work. I rarely go to meetings on Wednesday's and Thursday's because I hang out without a bunch of other guys at the YMCA those nights. The workout I get those nights is important to my physical and mental well-being, and I consider that time part of my recovery. In a way I should count those as "meetings."

By the way, I went to a noon AA meeting today that was really bad. I left there feeling like I had wasted an hour of my time. I like to go to meetings that focus on solutions, not whining. If meetings alone were the answer, this meeting would have set me back.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:40 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Whoops I meant his book Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions was reportedly so influenced. My bad.