Notices

Facebook - Detrimental to Recovery?

Old 03-30-2011, 07:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Facebook - Detrimental to Recovery?

After another morning of being encouraged on SR, I logged on to Facebook and became quicky depressed. I obsessively searched for information on an old love. I read once again about my friend’s so-called perfect lives. But, the worst part of Facebook when you are in recovery are the photos of people drinking and having fun and looking good while they are doing it. I’m afraid to even post a current photo of myself because of the damage that alcohol has done to my looks. I know it’s irrational but I don’t need these reminders of my old life. I deleted my account. When I get emotionally stable, I know I will be able to handle it, but not right now. I’m a mature woman and embarrassed that I feel this way. Can anyone else relate?
Old 03-30-2011, 07:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I don't 'do' facebook so don't really know much, but to my knowledge it's a social networking site and not for recovery so there wouldn't be much help in it as far as I'm concerned.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Why about 20% of the people on my 'friends' list are in recovery.

I made a conscious decision a while back to try to have as many people in recovery on that list as was humanly possible, even have a few from SR.

Haven't equated alcohol with fun in quite some time now.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, can totally relate.
Good idea to stay away from Facebook for a while.
Focus on yourself right now... a wonderful life awaits you.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Add me as a friiend! I'm in the same boat. Its like one big high school reunion on there. Everyone brags and puts their best face forward. The drinking and 3am drunk posts really annoy me. I have taken a break from it. If the action doesn't benefit my recovery I stay away from it.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
On my way....

MIB, I literally just got off facebook and looking at pictures of people drinking and looking happy!......But then I ran across one that had a (drunk) girl going down a slip n' slide, and from the tagline on the picture apparently a few minutes later she asked how she got so wet. I remembered how I would do things and forget about them a little bit later - so that actually made me feel better - no more blackouts!!!

I also have one friend on facebook who will talk about partying all evening long on her updates.....but then in the morning when she has to go to work her tune is WAY different, cussing the world and her hangover. Or she will post about how the night didn't go as planned (does it ever when you're drinking?) someone got into a fight, someone was barred from the club, so and so cheated on their spouse/significant other. So in those respects it actually helps me!

Oh yeah, and I have this other friend who you can tell when he's been drinking because he posts really random/or angry messages late at night....then in the morning they're gone!! Posting regret I'm assuming, I can totally identify with that one!

I have a lot of family on FB and most of them don't drink, go to church, etc., so it's a pretty good mix up. I'm finding that the drinkers on my list tend to have a lot of regret (maybe a few good times) when they drink, for the most part it just reinforces why I quit.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Oh I am so pleased that you posted this message MIBluebird.......I really thought that it was just me who has these feelings about FB!
I tend to go on FB when I'm drunk and chat. I really do dread to think what I chat about! Then I feel bad when I sober up and think about what I've done. Then when sober I look at photos of all the "happy" people while at the same time feeling really down and all I want to do is buy a bottle of wine.
I have ruined so many friendships because of my drinking and now on FB I am making myself look even more foolish......I think I'll delete my FB account.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Although my life isn't picture perfect, I have found some peace..by looking at pics and seeing others on FB I don't envy them I pray for them...
Old 03-30-2011, 08:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by loveon2legs View Post
Although my life isn't picture perfect, I have found some peace..by looking at pics and seeing others on FB I don't envy them I pray for them...
This is where I strive to be in my recovery...content with who I am. When I reach that point, I won't be jealous of those who truly have good lives and will have empathy for those who are where I used to be.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Facebook for me is a part of life, a way I connect with friends and family. I know I need to work on myself and not drink but I don't feel isolating myself is the way to do that, but that's just my opinion.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Hi Bluebird-

I totall understand and can relate. Sure, I can give you some recovery taglines and since I'm an AA'er, I've got great "one-liners", but the truth is...

It's very easy to feel resentful, jealous, and all those bad emotions after looking at facebook.

My advice would be to work on your recovery and work on you and all this other "stuff" will take care of itself.

...and have a little gratitude. I can only imagine what nonsense I would have posted on facebook when I was drinking. Be grateful that's now you on there making an arse out of yourself

Kjell~
Old 03-30-2011, 09:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Abnormally normal

I'm 6 months sober and still very early in my sobriety, but I don't let what other people do on FB w/ their lives dictate how I'm gonna feel.
If I did, I'd never leave my house or attend parties or family functions.
That's just me though..
I actually enjoy staying connected to everybody. It makes sobriety that much bearable.
And when I do come across the drinking or the partying, I either ignore it and don't comment on it or do w/ a silly remark. Nothing serious or life changing.
Take FB for what it is...just a fun site to keep in contact w/ friends.

I too have a couple of friends that are in recovery, but I've been friends w/ them long before I got sober.

The good thing about FB is that its YOUR page and you can decide who you want to stay in contact w/. YOU decide who you want to be friends with.
You can keep it as simple as you want.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi 'm new here!

I am particularly depressed at the moment.....aren't a lot of us on this site!! Looking at all the "happy" photos on FB seems to make me feel even more depressed....like there is something wrong with me!
Old 03-30-2011, 09:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sailorjohn View Post
Why about 20% of the people on my 'friends' list are in recovery.

I made a conscious decision a while back to try to have as many people in recovery on that list as was humanly possible, even have a few from SR.

Haven't equated alcohol with fun in quite some time now.
This is a GREAT idea! I'm only two days sober right now but I can totally relate with what the OP is saying. The thing is, my facebook is not like my old myspace...85% of the people on my page are family or real life friends, some of them old high school buddys who still party like their is no tomorrow, I'm near 40 so sometimes when I see their posts it's a reminder to me of what I don't want to be. I love them just the same though.

I never used FB just to pick up online friends...there are a few, but not many at all. I don't do the "friend marathon"...
Old 03-30-2011, 09:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

ALSO, if there are particular people who post away about partying...you can hide their feeds without deleting the friendship. I have done this a few times with good friends who post stuff that causes certain emotions that trigger me to drink....
Old 03-30-2011, 10:09 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Heathen

I think just like in 'real life', it just depends on who you choose to keep in your life. I don't communicate with toxic people in person, or on Facebook, or otherwise.. it's healthier for me that way.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:11 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Originally Posted by Kjell View Post
Be grateful that's now you on there making an arse out of yourself

Kjell~
Oops, just to clarify, I meant "be grateful that's NOT you (not now you)
Old 03-30-2011, 10:26 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
...is learning and growing...

Great post, MIBluebird!

I'm just gonna say it...I hate Facebook and wish it would go away. It reminds me of all those feelings of insecurity and not belonging and how everyone else seems to have perfect lives. I KNOW that people put their best face forward and all that, but it still bothers me. Also, it didn't help that when I had a FB account (now deleted), I had like 9 friends and within days that hubby got one, he had 95...ugghh. It actually became a big sore point in our marriage for a while there and I know it's because it brought out a lot of jealousy/resentment in me. And it also didn't help that I knew some people with hundreds of friends on FB, but in real life everyday interactions they were rude and pretty anti-social. Yes, I have issues with FB. One day I'll come to terms with this and slowly in sobriety I'm finding a better sense of self. But for now, I can TOTALLY relate, MI.

Oh and BTW, there was a great article about FB and depression in teens yesterday...I read through it and I don't think it just applies to teens but to adults as well IMHO. Here's the link...Doctors Warn About ‘Facebook Depression’ In Teens « CBS Boston
Old 03-30-2011, 04:45 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I'm not into FB for a number of good reasons, but I'd say anything you find detrimental to your recovery right now is something you can do without for now.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:09 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

i hear ya loud and clear!! fb sucks..but i have an account but definitely not into seeing everyone drinking and parting ...it is what its..