Notices

philosopichally speaking what is life for

Old 03-30-2011, 03:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

philosopichally speaking what is life for

there is a big one

i used to think it was a dash to get the best woman i could and then together we could plot some sort of mass effect. i daresay finding good people will probably still be a big part of it. Idk accepting that the only person i can ever change or control is me is tough. i mean what then are political parties for.

i dont work - i dont really know what i want to do and with the alcohol and codependency work seems like if not black is white maybe green is purple now

im still the same me and less neurotic also but i guess the person i was is getting further away until that guy i was around 3 months ago seems like but a shell of the person i am now although things tend to get out of hand still

so i dont need sex anymore, i dont need alcohol, and i dont use other people to define myself. crumbs. ive always wanted to help the world [i think] so reading in my codie book that one can only sometimes increase the odds of someone wanting to change and we cant even control or guarantee this is like what.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Life is to be happy and joyous everyday...there has been guidelines of how to achieve this for 1000's of years and many, many people achieve this throughout their lives:-)
Old 03-30-2011, 04:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

there has been guidelines of how to achieve this for 1000's of years and many, many people achieve this throughout their lives:-)
excellent please do share any guidelines you enjoy or respect
Old 03-30-2011, 04:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

pm'd ya:-)
Old 03-30-2011, 05:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree that being joyous in life is important. For me the purpose of life is love. To love one another unselfishly as well as love oneself.

At the end of the day only love really matters.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Not too long I ago I believed that life was all about being with the hottest girl, being at the biggest parties, drinking the most expensive booze and using the best drugs.

Now, thankfully those aren't my reasons. They are absolutely the reasons for some people, though. Everyone has their own answer for "What is life for?", and many people share the same reasons. I think that is where a lot of addiction originates and perpetuates -- people surrounding themselves with others who believe life is to be lived for drugs and alcohol.

For me, life is about spending time with healthy people who care for what's best for me. Simple as that. I want to help others who need help, but I also have co-dependency issues I need to work on before I throw myself into that completely.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have no idea what life is for, I do believe God has a purpose for my life and I pray that some day I figure out what that purpose is (but I'm 54 and haven't figured it out so I'm not holding my breath), until then all I can do is try to live a life that I believe would be pleasing to God.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I remember the story about the little boy who asked his pastor, "Why are we here?"

The pastor told him, "We're here to help others."

The little boy thought about this and then asked, "Why are the others here?"
Old 03-30-2011, 04:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think for me it's to do the best I can with what I've been given.

Obviously 'the best I can' may mean different things to different people....
but it is what it is

D
Old 03-30-2011, 05:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sunny Side Up

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I think for me it's to do the best I can with what I've been given.

Obviously 'the best I can' may mean different things to different people....
but it is what it is

D
Dee - this is fantastic and my words exactly.

For me growing up I use to wonder just what life was about also. I was the little girl asking my minister lots of questions about who was god, where did he come from and was he going to fix my daddy and help my mum.

But ok, Im now (....ish)(age secret) and its the same for me, I have lived with what I was given, then I made my own life. Bumps along the way, but I think now, living life means to me "being safe and content in my own skin".

JJ
Old 03-30-2011, 05:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The question of the ages what is life?
Life is breath. Life is sunshine, rainbows, summer breezes, Spring blooming, babies birthing, puppy breath, smiles, excepting faults, overcoming hurdles, humbling successs...it is so so many things to me.
Spiritually its an overwheming sense of comfort and contentment. It is keeping true to who I am inside. Being honest, being true to others, never underestimating faith.
Some things in life can't be explained...it is experience, when it happens, you know. Then it all comes together...and life is good.

One of my favorite quotes...We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

hmmm

I was worried that the Hokey Pokeyreally was what it's all about. thanks for setting me straight.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by unknown1941 View Post
I was worried that the Hokey Pokeyreally was what it's all about. thanks for setting me straight.
:rotfxko

Isn't it about having lots and lots of cash???
Old 04-01-2011, 11:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

for me, life is a lightness of being ... it resides in the clarity of compassion and in the eyes of lovers. it lives in the clear space between each breath we take.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
I agree that being joyous in life is important. For me the purpose of life is love. To love one another unselfishly as well as love oneself.

At the end of the day only love really matters.
Agreed.

I believe volunteer and service work is huge for happiness...we were created to be social and also I believe we were created to help eachother.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I was just reading the remarkable book Man's Search For Meaning by Viktor Frankl, in which he describes his stay in the Nazi concentration camps from a psychological perspective. To him life is not a quest for pleasure or power but a quest for meaning. To have a meaning is to have a goal worth striving and fighting for. This could be in work (do something), in love (caring for someone) or finding courage during difficult times, like meeting your fate in a concentration camp with dignity. Those who did not find this meaning and lost their hope, they soon perished. He accounts for how he found strength to survive in thoughts about his wife and dreams about a manuscript on logotherapy – a therapy that focuses on finding a person's meaning of life. The meaning of life is therefore different between individuals, and can change from day to day, from each moment to the next.

For me who has always had a kind of an existentialist view on life, short of meaning and full of emptiness, this book was a good kick in the balls.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

give only love comes to mind here
Old 04-02-2011, 06:17 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I can relate to not knowing how to enjoy life. When I drank I thought I was just supposed to do various things to control people and situations, which I of course never achieved.
Having a good time was something I didn't know how to do anymore.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:19 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

IMO, there is no universal purpose, or meaning this to life. there are no eternal consequences for the decisions we make, or how we live our lives. but that's irrelevant.. how you live your own life and living for those you care about, those things do have meaning...to YOU. that's all that matters. at this second, you exist. that's all the purpose you need. live in each moment and find joy.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:24 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Life is for living....