Notices

Withdrawl - Calm before the storm

Old 03-28-2011, 08:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Withdrawl - Calm before the storm

Hi alll - this is my first post. I have spent the last 6hrs visiting various sites and the info and comments here seem to be very helpful.

I have been drinking quite heavily for the last 3 or 4 years - between 1/2 and 1 litre of Vodka every day.

In January I decided enough and started tapering off the qty to the point where a bad day was just less than 1/2 litre and at this point found it really difficult to reduce further due to the shakes, lack of sleep and night sweats.

I went to the Doc's 21st March and explained the problem. He gave me vitamins and told me to continue at that level of drinking and referred my to a support group.

My first meeting with my councillor is 6th April and I did not want to continue drinking for another two weeks so I decided to go cold turkey on 25th March.

I had a bottle on standby just in case it got too much.

I haven't had a drink since the 24th (4 days) and apart from the first few nights with cold sweats and a little insomnia I've felt fine. My emergency bottle remains unopened.

Is this the calm before the storm - has enyone else experienced this?

Any advice gratefully received.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

After four days sober I'd guess you're over the worst of the physical w/d. Please see your doctor if you have any problems or worries or feel worse.

Welcome to the family. You'll find a lot of support here.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad you have made the decision to quit. The tapering method never worked for me as I could always find a way to talk myself into cracking that last bottle open. I would pour that bottle down the drain if I were in your shoes but please consult with your doctor on the detoxing.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're feeling pretty good, and I hope you continue to read and post.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR. Glad you are here.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Um..yeah...that bottle would have been cracked if it were here! LOL
Good Job! Hopefully, you keep going because you'll only get/feel better.
I just worry if that bottle stays in the house that relapse will come quicker and less of a thought process. I'd get rid of it.
Wishing you the best...there IS life after booze. I'm only on day 60 but boy, is it nice!
Old 03-28-2011, 10:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah - I want to get rid of it too. I spent almost all day on here trying to fond anyone who had similar withdrawl - I'm just scarred that if I bin it and then 2 hrs later start shaking, then I will panic.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I went through detox on my own and now realize how STUPID it was. I would go see your doctor and be completely honest with them, they can and will help. Each day you keep pouring the poison in is one more day you have to deal with the problem. I'm 48 days in and feel better than I have in the last 5 years, I tried everything to stop drinking including cutting back, switching only to beer but I soon realized each method was just another way to allow myself to drink and I was lying to myself. I finally got rid of the temptation, avoid bars and situations that would tempt me like people avoid the plague. Hopefully at some point I will be strong enough to trust myself in those situations but for the time being I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Bikeguy - you're removing the temptation is critical. We all know that ''I'll just have one'' never works.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Welcome to the site, studio. And congratulations on your decision. My guess is that you are safe to get rid of the bottle. Smash it against a rock without opening it. It might be cathartic, and you'll avoid the temptation to taste if you open it and pour it. Stay on this site; it helps immeasurably.

Emerald Rose...congrats on day 60!
Old 03-28-2011, 11:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Lofty

I don't plan on opening it - it my safety net, just in case 2hrs after I bin it things start to go wrong. It will be down the sink before the end of Wednesday.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:18 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by studio View Post
Hi alll - this is my first post. I have spent the last 6hrs visiting various sites and the info and comments here seem to be very helpful.

I have been drinking quite heavily for the last 3 or 4 years - between 1/2 and 1 litre of Vodka every day.

In January I decided enough and started tapering off the qty to the point where a bad day was just less than 1/2 litre and at this point found it really difficult to reduce further due to the shakes, lack of sleep and night sweats.

I went to the Doc's 21st March and explained the problem. He gave me vitamins and told me to continue at that level of drinking and referred my to a support group.

My first meeting with my councillor is 6th April and I did not want to continue drinking for another two weeks so I decided to go cold turkey on 25th March.

I had a bottle on standby just in case it got too much.

I haven't had a drink since the 24th (4 days) and apart from the first few nights with cold sweats and a little insomnia I've felt fine. My emergency bottle remains unopened.

Is this the calm before the storm - has enyone else experienced this?

Any advice gratefully received.
Hi there, i was at that piont and needed to know waht was ahead. i got some really good links of peoples with drawl, please see my post for the links i was sent, very good reading, but after 4 days i would say the worse is over and stay strong, un like me how is still thinking i can control this and how wrong i am. Good bye
Old 03-28-2011, 11:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

Studio, my dear new friend, my humble advice to you is to dump that friggin' bottle. It sings too sweet of a song this early in sobriety. Best to rely upon medical intervention for any detox problems. If you have been poisoned, you don't take poison for a cure. Your drunk side will howl in rage as you pour the bottle down the drain, but your sober part will gain unmeasurable strength in the action.

"Do or not do.There is no try." Master Yoda
Old 03-28-2011, 11:47 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I think you're over the worst of it by now. You were lucky. Congrats!!!
Old 03-28-2011, 11:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Creekryder View Post
Studio, my dear new friend, my humble advice to you is to dump that friggin' bottle. It sings too sweet of a song this early in sobriety. Best to rely upon medical intervention for any detox problems. If you have been poisoned, you don't take poison for a cure. Your drunk side will howl in rage as you pour the bottle down the drain, but your sober part will gain unmeasurable strength in the action.

"Do or not do.There is no try." Master Yoda
Hi Creekryder

Thats the 1/2 Irish in , thanks for the Hi, and dont know why i am here as stimell supping on the Holsten pils larger, 3 days f stopping and i think i can handle this. Sunday had 14 pints of 5% larger and that make the unit intake of 42 in a day, i must be ******* mad or have a death wish? sorry Studio for posting here