Notices

Drank Again

Old 03-27-2011, 08:13 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hey Neo, I'm glad you are back. Other people's experiences like yours help me, so I appreciate you telling your story. That being said, don't help me again, lol. Best wishes.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:32 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

So many times people underestimate the underlying mental health issues that all too often are the reason so many of us self-medicate with something affordable & legal & easy to get. So, good on you for recognizing you need help there because stopping drinking doesn't solve that as you've no doubt realized & your attitude about using this little speed bump in your recovery is very practical & proactive, in my opinion. It was actually so refreshing & awesome to read a post where someone slipped but forgave themselves & picked up & went on while recognizing the importance of responsibility & accountability but just not wallowing around in the bad part~~ just picking up & going on. Good for you!
Old 03-27-2011, 08:51 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Wink

hey Neo.. recovery is a ongoing Process and we must all adjust and readjust when and where we need to. i remember how i felt in the same age group you are at.. it was harder then and Alcohol had not yet beat the s#it out of me.. you keep on doing what you need to young man. peace!
Old 03-27-2011, 09:02 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad to know you will be getting professional help....
Welcome back
Old 03-27-2011, 09:03 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I was only ready to get better when I realized that I couldn't do it on my own.

As long as I was responding to a relapse with a whole new effort to rededicate myself to trying not to drink, I kept drinking. Every time. Ironic, isn't it?

The harder I tried the more I failed.

It was when I realized this-- when I understood that I was lying to myself every time I decided to try again not to drink-- that I knew I was royally screwed. Up the creek. Done.

The fact that it took three years of relapsing and going through these ridiculous hollow promises is testament to the insanity of alcoholism.

My disease allows me to make those promises-- in fact, it helps me create them. It reassures me, even lets me stay sober for a while. Until it senses the resolve is weakened just enough and then-- off to the races again.

Groundhog Day.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:10 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
SR Fan

:ghug3 I feel for you - this is such a rotten disease..... Really, it could have been any one of us........ I went back to drinking after years of sobriety - TWICE! And there were a couple days last year when I really thought I wouldn't make it....... I just wanted a break.....

I know what it's like to struggle with mental/emotional stuff. Have you ever been evaluated by a psychiatrist (taken tests, etc?). I know that I needed more than just talking about things to keep on an even keel........ I'm glad you're getting some extra help -

Just be kind to yourself the next couple days, OK? Take things slow, keep it simple....... I have faith in you!!!:ghug3
Old 03-27-2011, 09:17 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Glad you're back on board, and glad you are taking some steps to address the other issues you're dealing with.

Best wishes, honest,
Old 03-27-2011, 09:18 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Neo, the most important thing: you made it back! And this is amazing. Take it as a new chance you were given. Next time you may not be so lucky. I am glad you ar eback and you have a great plan. Keep posting.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:21 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Awakening...

Glad you're back Neo. We need each other to get this recovery thing.
Hugs.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:42 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
ste
unlearning

Neo,
Nothing profound from here. I know, that you know, the problem better than I do.
You are an inspiration to me.
This thing has more layers than an onion, let's keep peeling and chopping.
The tears will go away when the onion is cooked.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:48 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

(((Neo))) - I'm glad you're back and that you've learned something from this. The first time my dr. told me I needed an anti-d, I cried..saw it as a sign of weakness. This was years before my addiction, but I often wonder if I'd taken advantage of the counseling that was offered, if I'd have bypassed the addiction...will never know.

I just know that mental issues can be a struggle, and am really glad that you have an appt. tomorrow.

You slipped, and you got right back up

Love, hugs, and prayers,

Amy
Old 03-27-2011, 10:51 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Glad you're back Neo
Old 03-27-2011, 11:25 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hi,
Some things that helped me get to 7 months, happily, are realizing I have always had anxiety, and finally be willing to take meds for it, realizing I can never drink again, it is no longer an option for me, so I have to find other ways to relieve stress and have fun, and finding other things to do. I do a lot of art now, it is better than drinking and smoking pot, as my long-time sober friend says!! And a day at a time doesn't work for me - this is a lifelong commitment, I can't decide to drink tomorrow, because it will kill me.

Just wanted to share, as different things work for different people. You sound like you have a chance to have a good life without alcohol, make the right decision now. I promise you that you will NEVER regret not drinking!
Nancy
Old 03-27-2011, 12:24 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hugs Neo! You are such an inspiration...please don't beat yourself up too much.

Really glad you are back and sober.

Xoxo, LaFemme
Old 03-27-2011, 12:29 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Hey NEO,

Sorry to hear of your struggles... Mental health stuff can be a beast if left festering and untreated. Tough as it may seem to confront and treat some of those sorts of issues now, doing so can make all of the difference in the world in allowing you a brighter, and lighter, existence, and the vitality and strength that you need to keep fighting the good fight. I hope that you've got good, competent professionals to help you figure out the best route, whether it be meds, therapy, or some combination of the two.

Wishing you peace and strength.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:30 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Hi Neo-

Whew! I'm so happy you made it through ok without getting into any more trouble.

I can totally relate to just wanting a break from sobriety.

This shyte is hard man and it takes a lot of work to stay sober.

If you haven't worked your way through the steps then please do so. You're cheating yourself if you haven't.

Tomorrow will be another day for you.

Your life is a gift.

Whatcha gonna do with it?

Kjell~
Old 03-27-2011, 01:55 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some great advice here, man.
I'm glad you're going to work on the mental health stuff.

My problems are physical but I found I had to accept the reality of them just as much as I had to accept the reality of my alcoholism.

I sometimes need meds or other treatments...it is what it is...and, unlike booze, I feel they help me be the best me I can be

I'm sorry you fell, but I'm glad you got up so quck Neo.

D
Old 03-27-2011, 02:04 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

Hate this disease but I am glad you're back. Hope you get the help you need.

Be well.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:12 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I drank, then practiced recovery, I drank, then practiced recovery, I drank, then practiced recovery, I drank, then practiced recovery, I drank, then practiced recovery, I drank, then practiced recovery, I drank, then practiced recovery, I drank, then practiced recovery, I drank, then practiced recovery,I drank, then practiced recovery, I drank, then practiced recovery, I drank, then I practiced recovery,....then I stopped drinking.

So its not so easy. Yea I know. I can relate. I had to do what I did to get to the place that I am...sober.. Without trying to get sober it would be like: I drank, I drank, I drank, I drank, I drank, I drank, I drank, I drank, I drank, I drank, I drank I drank, I drank, I drank, I drank, I drank, I drank,...yea I know where that ended up to.

So what it took me time to find my way out of the nasty cycle of addiction. Everything worthwhile takes time...universal truth it is.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:30 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Hi Neo,

My story's much like Zen's, except I'm not as far along as he is! The recovery stuff I learned is still good even though I slipped. I used it when I popped my head up and took another stab at recovery.

I have issues that are present even when I stopped drinking for 6 months, so I needed to address those, and I needed to go outside recovery circles to do that.

It's a journey - but one worth making! I'm glad you're back. Don't be too hard on yourself.