SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   New to this (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/223197-new.html)

Dacotahsioux 03-26-2011 01:43 PM

New to this

Hi,

My name is Barbara and this is very new to me. I hope that I have posted in the right place; being a newbie.

Going through a very trying time right now; my emotions are on a roller coaster and feeling quite down right now.

I have been sober for quite some time and attended AA group 9 years ago for over a year but could not quite connect; so I quit going and have been going it alone for the past years. I did promise myself that if I ever needed help; I mean really needed help, that I would go back to AA.

Well, this past week; I rejoined AA and am trying to reconnect with other people in recovery and make it a success this time and stick with it.

Going it alone can be very lonely at times and I realized that I have denied myself the friendship and help from other people just like me... dealing with life sober. To me that's the only way that I can get through with dealing and getting through with the situation I am going through now. Another small mountain to climb.

To all that have this day of sobriety; I commend you for your great success; I know that it is not easy for people new to sobriety; but, believe me it does get easier the longer you stay sober.

I do not have a craving for drinking but I no longer want to go it alone. I have to admit that I do need help from others.

With that. I am happy I found this site.

Will be going to a potluck dinner at an AA meeting tonight. Emotionally, I feel like isolating but will again today make myself go.

Everyone, have a great day.

Barbara

Anna 03-26-2011 01:49 PM

Welcome, Barbara!

SR is a great place to find friendly support. We do understand that recovery can be lonely and difficult, so please take a look around and feel comfortable.

recoverywfaith 03-26-2011 02:14 PM

:welcome

Dee74 03-26-2011 02:16 PM

Welcome aboard Barbara :)
Good to have you with us!

D

bellakeller 03-26-2011 02:48 PM

Hey Barbara! Welcome here! Keep comin'!

:welcome

TheTinMan 03-26-2011 04:06 PM

Welcome to SR Barbara!

artsoul 03-26-2011 04:18 PM

Welcome and congratulations on your sobriety! You chose a great forum to come to - it's been a huge part of my recovery. I agree that we all need support to keep our recovery alive.

Look forward to seeing you around the forum!:ghug3

Germanos 03-26-2011 04:22 PM

Hey and welcome! We are all in this together, you are not alone :)

jch116 03-26-2011 04:51 PM

Hi and welcome. Glad you are here!

CarolD 03-26-2011 04:51 PM

I made SR my cyber home group for a long time and
it's a vital supplement to my local AA connection...:yup:

Welcome ...:wavey:

coffeenut 03-26-2011 07:52 PM

Hi Barbara! Lots and lots of good people here. Read around the site!

EmeraldRose 03-26-2011 07:56 PM

Welcome Barbara.

Dacotahsioux 03-26-2011 10:50 PM

Thank you all for the welcome

I am so happy that I stumbled upon this site. I thank everyone for welcoming me.

Went to the potluck dinner and speaker meeting tonight and it was great. I am glad that I made myself go. Met a new friend and that makes me smile.

Will for sure look around at the site.

Again, thanks for the welcome.

Wakan Tanka, Pidamaya (Thank you Great Spirit)

BeautifulLife 03-26-2011 11:04 PM

Welcome, Barbara! I joined SR a while back, but kind of forgot, as I'm involved in another online recovery community. But tonight, I was missing all the action around here!

So glad you went to the AA potluck and speaker meeting. Who doesn't love a potluck...and a speaker meeting? :c015:

I find that staying connected with my fellow AA's is an integral part of my recovery and makes my life so much more full.

Your story reminds me of something my friend told me a while back. Her therapist told her she needed to go to AA. My friend said, "Can't I just do this on my own?" Her therapist said, "Well, you might. But why would you want to?" I love that.

Dee74 03-26-2011 11:12 PM

Good to see you BL :)

D

Nikkipoo 03-27-2011 09:16 AM

Hello Barbara! I am happy you found us here at SR! :)

Dacotahsioux 03-28-2011 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by BeautifulLife (Post 2912584)
Welcome, Barbara! I joined SR a while back, but kind of forgot, as I'm involved in another online recovery community. But tonight, I was missing all the action around here!

So glad you went to the AA potluck and speaker meeting. Who doesn't love a potluck...and a speaker meeting? :c015:

I find that staying connected with my fellow AA's is an integral part of my recovery and makes my life so much more full.

Your story reminds me of something my friend told me a while back. Her therapist told her she needed to go to AA. My friend said, "Can't I just do this on my own?" Her therapist said, "Well, you might. But why would you want to?" I love that.

How true that is. I no longer want to go alone and in just this past week; I have connected with some great people. I realize what I have missed these past 9 years.

least 03-28-2011 10:55 AM

Welcome to the family.:hug:

sailorjohn 03-28-2011 10:58 AM

Welcome!!!

LoftyIdeals 03-28-2011 10:59 AM

I'm glad you found us, Barbara. This site is my alternative to alone, and I pray it will help me to open up to meetings as well.