Notices

Im new and have questions please :)

Old 03-26-2011, 08:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Im new and have questions please :)

Hello,

This is my first post. My boyfriend is the alcoholic. He is 35 and has been drinking liquor literally every day since he was about 19. For the past 10 years that I know of he has had at least a pint and half of Canadian LTD.. and more on weekends.

He has no insurance and recently is unable to work because of seizures. He has CDL and drives truck. He has been having seizures since November 2010. Aprox 12 in all. He finally went to the health department and they said he needs to quit drinking and he cant drive cause he has seizures.

After some long talks with family, he realizes he needs to quit. But how can we do that from home? He cant go to treatment place with no money and no insurance. he has been drinking way to long to do it safely on his own from what I see on the internet. Any suggestions? PLEASE!

We have an appointment for Neuro today, im not sure how thats gonna go.

Thanks for any help or advice you can give.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

For support for yourself, I suggest you check out AlAnon where you can find information and support.

If your boyfriend wants to stop drinking, he can go to an ER and also the Salvation Army offers free rehab in most cities to anyone who wants it.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My rehab is funded thru my state. All I pay for is books. I haven't shelled out a dime otherwise. It was well worth it and I'm glad I tok advantage of it.
Otherrwise, like Anna said look into alanon. They can help you. People are very willing to hook you up.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Welcome to SR! I agree that Al-anon would be very helpful for you and the family. Also, you might want to post in our Friends and Family section. You'll receive a lot of support there.

Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 03-26-2011, 08:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome to the forum - sorry to hear about your boyfriends situation - I hope he gets the help he needs to detox and begin his recovery. Alcoholism is a scary disease and it will only get worse if he doesn't stop.

The good news is that life is so much better sober....! I'm not sure where you live, but I would search the internet for free community or government-based resources. We have a support group for friends/family that you might want to check out, too:

Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 03-26-2011, 08:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm in Canada, where public health insurance covers most medical treatment, including alcohol withdrawal. I know that in the US people must rely on private insurance or pay out of their own pockets, but couldn't your bf ask his doc about presription meds that will help with withdrawal symptoms? I suspect prescription meds won't cost more than what he's paying for booze, but I admit I don't know much about the US medical system.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A work in progress

AA is free.

The Salvation Army also has a rehab program that is considered to be VERY good.

If he's ready to quit, there is free help out there. Most detox programs only last a few days and can be very helpful in the first few days. His record of seizures indicates he should certainly have medical supervision while detoxing.

I also second the idea of Al-Anon for you. We have a great "Friends and Family" forum right here at SR.

Welcome!
Old 03-26-2011, 10:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome!!!

Old 03-26-2011, 12:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Someday Id loveeeeeeeeeeeeee to go to Nashville,I play and love Music.
Getting back to you and your boyfriend,he needs to get away from the Rotten Booze.All the Suggestions mentioned are the way to go.
I am so lucky that I got away from Booze and Drugs.
I attended Re Hab on several occasions but only stayed Dry for a Few Months at a time after leaving.
We are all different,so have a Doctor advise him what to do.

I eventually Detoxed on my own at home with help from a Great Doctor.

I am Clean and Sober today ...nearing 25 years.Yepeeeeeeeee
Old 03-26-2011, 12:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi HereForInfo

Does he realize that drinking may be the cause of his seizures rather than having two disorders - drinking and seizures?

If it is the cause then now it's a choice between life and death.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi hereforinfo

this is a nationwide database of treatment programmes - click your state and then enter your hometown.

Substance Abuse Treatment Facility Locator

You'll find a lot of options - I hope that your bf will find a couple suitable for him.

I hope you'll check out the FF forum

D
Old 03-26-2011, 02:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The state of FL. has a free detox check with your state
Old 03-26-2011, 05:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

AA is free