Notices

Bit nervous

Old 03-26-2011, 02:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bit nervous

Today we are going to a 'family day' at the local pub. Pretty sure I'll be ok, but it;s the first time since attcking my sobriety so intensely that I'll have been near drinkers en masse as it were. My kids will be there of course which will help, and i have a meeting afterwards, but just feeling a little worried. we're walking there too, so I don't even have the driving excuse. I am 30 days today too so have a special reason to fight it - despite my first 'drinking dream' last night. That was horrible!
Old 03-26-2011, 03:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Family day in a pub?

I guess if you're committed CM...think of all of us with you in spirit.
let us know how your day was.

D
Old 03-26-2011, 03:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

For me I found that if I go out with people that are just drinking a few and are socially drinking it does not bother me. It is at parties or events where alot of peoples intent is to get drunk than I have a hard time. Because to me the only point to drink is to get drunk. So for me right now I have only two months and I avoid anything where heavy drinking is being done.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes Dee 'family day in a pub' - or rather in the garden, raising money for charity.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Best wishes...it is huge to be able to make it through events like this.

I'm at 54 days and haven't challenged myself yet in any "real" drinking environments. I just don't think I'm ready yet to put myself in an environment "dedicated" to alcohol, such as bars, tailgates, music festivals, etc. I know that there are people who successfully navigate these places, and that I will have to learn how to do it eventually, but I want to put some more time under my belt first.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Coolmummy, our thoughts and prayers and strength are with you. I have a convenient excuse for those closest to me...I gave it up for Lent. Feel free to borrow it if you'd like. I also believe there are some situations where a little anxiety can be strengthening, and this may be one of those for you.

Good luck on the fundraiser!
Old 03-26-2011, 04:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone - I'm sure I'll be ok, I can always walk home if I feel out of my depth x
Old 03-26-2011, 09:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Good luck - I found that even though it was a little weird, my first event wasn't half as bad as I thought it would be. I had a very nice time, infact, and was able to enjoy the people, instead of thinking about alcohol the whole time.

It was helpful to me to know what I was going to drink ahead of time. I decided I'd get a cranberry and tonic with lime from the bar. It felt a little festive and prevented people from offering me drinks.

I hope you have a great time and come away with even more confidence....