Notices

family frustrations

Old 03-25-2011, 09:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

family frustrations

My parents are coming to visit this weekend and my mother has asked for some "mother/daughter time" to discuss the recent events in my life. She really means one event; the 6 week outpatient program I completed on Wednesday.
Here's the thing: I DON'T want to talk about it with her. I don't want to hear, let alone answer, questions like how much and when and any other detail. I don't know why but just thinking about this kind of discussion with her makes me irritable and angry.
However, I feel bad because my mother is also an alcholic and I know she is trying to quit. I heard through the immediate family grapevine that she's not drinking at all right now. I'm sure it's no coincidence. When I told her I was entering a program she said she wished she could do the same. So, I know part of her wanting to talk is about her and not about me.

Still... I don't want to talk about it. My mom and I don't have a close relationship and I feel extremely uncomfortable "pretending" that this heart-to-heart is normal for us. We have spoken on the phone maybe twice since I started outpatient. Both times it was because I called her. She and my father have not one time called me to ask how it's going, my father never even acknowledging that he knew I was going. If I didn't call them, we'd never talk because they do not call me.
Maybe I'm being selfish but I hate feeling forced into a conversation that's too intimate for the relationship we have. It's my constant concern for hurting my mother's feelings that's keeping me from simply telling her I don't want to talk about it.

Any suggestions for how to handle this with as much grace as possible while still feeling that I'm not forcing myself to share details I'd rather not?
Old 03-25-2011, 09:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Earth Child

I know its hard but you got to be honest with her and tell her you dont want to talk about it.
If she pushes the issue just walk away
Old 03-25-2011, 09:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

"Thanks for asking, mom but at this point I'm not ready to talk about it. How are things with you?".

easier said than done, I know but I'd just keep is simple and firm.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

You're not being selfish at all.

You have a clear picture of what you want and need at this time, and it doesn't involve talking to your mother.

Saying 'No' was a huge part of recovery for me. Sometimes you might hurt someone's feelings, but that doesn't mean you should do things you are not comfortable doing.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by silly View Post
My parents are coming to visit this weekend and my mother has asked for some "mother/daughter time" to discuss the recent events in my life. She really means one event; the 6 week outpatient program I completed on Wednesday.
Here's the thing: I DON'T want to talk about it with her. I don't want to hear, let alone answer, questions like how much and when and any other detail. I don't know why but just thinking about this kind of discussion with her makes me irritable and angry.
However, I feel bad because my mother is also an alcholic and I know she is trying to quit. I heard through the immediate family grapevine that she's not drinking at all right now. I'm sure it's no coincidence. When I told her I was entering a program she said she wished she could do the same. So, I know part of her wanting to talk is about her and not about me.

Still... I don't want to talk about it. My mom and I don't have a close relationship and I feel extremely uncomfortable "pretending" that this heart-to-heart is normal for us. We have spoken on the phone maybe twice since I started outpatient. Both times it was because I called her. She and my father have not one time called me to ask how it's going, my father never even acknowledging that he knew I was going. If I didn't call them, we'd never talk because they do not call me.
Maybe I'm being selfish but I hate feeling forced into a conversation that's too intimate for the relationship we have. It's my constant concern for hurting my mother's feelings that's keeping me from simply telling her I don't want to talk about it.

Any suggestions for how to handle this with as much grace as possible while still feeling that I'm not forcing myself to share details I'd rather not?
Yeah. Try to stop creating the future. You don't know what's going to happen until it happens, so stay in today- this very moment. If she asks for help, help her. That's part of getting sober. If you're feeling abused, remove yourself immediately. That's also part of getting sober. And if it's all too much, ask them to leave, go grab a meeting or go for a walk. It's not about them. It's about you and your recovery.
Good luck
Old 03-25-2011, 12:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Maybe you can help her without necessarily going into all of the "heart to heart" emotional stuff. If the conversation wanders into that territory you can say it's not the right time but if she wants some cold hard facts/details about the rehab it might help her.

I don't know what it's like to be in your shoes but I'd want to help just about anyone who was interested in quitting.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some good advice here silly.

Like Anna, a huge part of my recovery was saying no, and learning about healthy boundaries.

It's not actually always my job to help people - especially when that may not be terribly healthy for me....sometimes my job is to help myself.

See what happens - if the conversation is about things you don't want to talk about, let her know you're not ready for that.

D
Old 03-25-2011, 02:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don't know what it's like to be in your shoes but I'd want to help just about anyone who was interested in quitting.[/QUOTE]

I agree with reset, you CAN help her just with your positive attitude about quitting. Show her that it CAN be done, that there is life without booze. You don't have to go into the gory details but just by your body language and a brief explanation of how good you're feeling/doing it might just encourage her.
Think of her as an example of how you would help someone else if you were in an AA situation. Helping others is very therapuedic to the soul.