Notices

sober 83 days but have flue and feel massive pull

Old 03-25-2011, 06:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

sober 83 days but have flue and feel massive pull

to drink or lose myself in an addiction to kill the pain-winge winge whine blegh
Old 03-25-2011, 06:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

No need to drink the pain away. You'll just be adding to it. Let it run it's course. Maybe it'll make you stronger in the end. Peace.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wow today i have been crazy-i think its called the purple cloud effect [or summut
Old 03-25-2011, 06:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've been sick 3 or 4 times since I've been sober (53 days). I've been wondering if quitting drinking does something to the immune system in the early stages? I also work in a school so exposure to students and bajillions of germs could obviously have something to do with that.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was exactly where you are about 2 months ago. I was sooooo sick. I had the flu / cold for about a solid month. Coughing, runny nose, sneezing, and basically felt like complete crap for a month. I didn't drink. I remember thinking, all I would need to do is drink and this pain would temporarily go away. Just realize that is your disease talking. Period. Our disease looks for any little crack in the armor to get us to slip up.

Remember, even though we are not drinking, our disease is in the gym doing push-ups and lifting weights, just waiting for us to come back... As long as we stay in recovery we'll be fine. These thoughts are natural, but the thing not to do is foster them. You quit for a reason. Nothing has changed that would make your decision less valid.

Hang in there. I got through it and am so grateful that I did.

I have never woken up and said "Man, I wish I would have gotten drunk last night".
Old 03-25-2011, 07:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had a viral lung infection last Dec., put me out of commision for 6+ weeks. I had been clean for months and out of boredom, I started to drink "alittle". BIG mistake!! Do Not do it! Just read alot, rest, get healthy again. Please, do not use the excuse of an illness to start up again! Do Anything else to keep yourself busy!
Best of luck!
..Mike
Old 03-25-2011, 07:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

BTW, only alcoholics would actually think that drinking when sick is a good idea LOL! Just more proof that I do have this condition. Normal drinkers do not see getting the flu as a trigger to drink booze.

One thing I do when I'm struggling is use it as proof that I really am an alcoholic... The reason? My disease tells me I don't have the disease... Cunning, baffling, powerful...
Old 03-25-2011, 07:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Drinking is hard on the immune system, great for keeping you sick longer. I recommend orange juice, chicken soup, bed rest and laughter. Especially laughter, go to Youtube and look up funny stuff. I especially like funny dogs and cats when I'm not feeling well.

This too shall pass. I hope your illness passes quickly.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was never very good with feeling bad...so every time I got sick I had the urge to drink...

Don't add to your woes, Kevin...keep up your fuids with water and juice and in a few days you'll feel fine again

D
Old 03-25-2011, 02:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hang in there Kevin. Don't wreck your streak.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Heathen

What are you doing for a recovery program?