Notices

Stopping Alcohol => Good Side Effects

Old 03-24-2011, 08:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Stopping Alcohol => Good Side Effects

Hi SR,

I was at work today (8 days so far) and I noticed my signature was really pretty. I mean it has changed from last week! I remember that it used to be nice, but my writing was becoming really crappy. That's amazing....

Also my husband said my face is more youthful after only a week.

Looking forward to discovering more positive changes!

Does anyone else notice some nice unexpected benefits from recovery? :ghug3
Old 03-24-2011, 09:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
On my way....

Awesome idea for a thread!!

I've noticed my hands have quit shaking in the mornings!

I'm very happy about that because that was one symptom I really became frightened over, I knew I was really becoming physically addicted to alcohol. Scary!
Old 03-24-2011, 09:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

No feeling so sick I cant move see hear or think.

Feeling ok to bursting out with song dance and joy each morning

Basically feeling ok about me and no longer like a piece of poop on a plate
Old 03-24-2011, 09:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
On my way....

Not waking up with my contacts glued to my eyes and being so thirsty that I would down a liter of soda before I felt my thirst was quenched, all the while trying to recall getting to bed. Gross.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes, despite the fact that I know how bad alcohol is for me I still drank.

This link has some interesting benefits of not drinking. I remember studying all of these effects some odd years ago. This is short though and definitely worth reading for anyone who needs a boost of encouragement.

I can't post links yet so ill post it. Credit goes to skwigg . com / id54 . html **Note: I am a guy... but all of these effects that she refers to about women apply to men just as well!!

Alcohol & Exercise
Daily alcohol consumption will slow or stop your results. The drawbacks are probably going to far outweigh any health benefits. Your liver can't metabolize alcohol and fat at the same time. It will always get rid of the toxic substance (alcohol) first. That means that as long as there's alcohol in your system you won't be burning any body fat. If you have one or two drinks, you might stall your fat loss for a few hours. If you have quite a few drinks, it might be as long as four days before you're metabolizing fat again.

Drinking also dehydrates you, raises cortisol levels (goodbye muscles), raises estrogen levels (hello hips), lowers inhibitions (pizza anyone?). Combine that with the fact that alcohol promotes abdominal fat storage (of all places!) and it's really not worth it, not even on free day, not if you're serious about making a major transformation.

I personally don't drink alcohol at all. I'm way too freaky about my definition and nothing will wreck your abs faster. I know several women who have a few drinks once a week and they've still achieved their goals. I know other women who if they have even one drink a week can't lose that puffy lower belly or see any definition in their abs. Just how negative the impact is probably depends on your goals, age, activity level, metabolism, and a zillion other things.

If wine with dinner is part of your lifestyle, and you're not in any particular hurry to have abs like a cheese grater, you might experiment a little. See if you can have a glass of wine a few times a week and still be making progress. If it's really slow going, keep cutting back the number of drinks until you're satisfied with the level of your results. Of course, if you're wanting to radically transform yourself for a Body for Life challenge, or a tropical vacation, or a big date with a little black dress, forget the alcohol. It's the enemy.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My complexion is clearer, I wake up guilt-free and feeling good, I'm happier (which was a shock to me--couldn't stop humming today), I'm a better mother, and for the first time in 6 years I feel proud of myself. Nights are still a little hard for me, but it's worth it to wake up feeling clear-headed. Good to be sober!
Old 03-25-2011, 05:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

My ADD is significantly reduced. I'm starting to focus and have logical streaming thoughts and conversations without bouncing all over the place. I still go into rooms and wonder why, but each day my mind is getting sharper.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

More than anything else I have noticed my memory improving significantly.

For quitting smoking, there are lots of "this happens after 30 days, this happens after 60 days, this happens after 90 days, this happens after 1 year" type time lines to illustrate what happens to your body once you quit. I haven't seen one for alcohol...does something like this exist?
Old 03-25-2011, 06:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

BillStJames:
I'd be interested in "what to expect" as well. The Promises can be found in AAs big book in chapter 6. It is the closest thing I've seen, and it is accurate, as I've experienced during previous sober times in my life. What is says, though, is that the changes occur sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly. I see my alcoholism as a soul sickness, as well as a physical and mental problem. I have healed most rapidly when I have humbled myself, and dealt with my shame before God. Why I keep repeating the cycle throughout life is what baffles me...
Old 03-25-2011, 06:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good topic. It's funny you bring it up. I was taking my son to school today and I was drinking a gatoraid this morning. As I took a drink I remember the fury I used to have to drink gatoraid in the mornings when I was hungover. Today I was simply drinking it because I wanted to, not because I have to.

I would say the best change since stopping drinking is how I don't constantly live in shame or guilt. When drinking I was always waiting for the "other shoe to drop". Always looking over my shoulder. Today, I don't do that. There are also physical changes, way less bloated, not constantly belching (holding back puking) in the morning, eating better, etc...

It gets better. Keep up the good work!!!
Old 03-25-2011, 11:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I too slept with contacts in more times than I can remember. And I definitely feel and look better because I'm not waking up after a bender craving greasy fatty food and a a gallon of soda. It's amazing all the good things that come along with sobriety.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nogard View Post
No feeling so sick I cant move see hear or think.

Feeling ok to bursting out with song dance and joy each morning

Basically feeling ok about me and no longer like a piece of poop on a plate

That whole post just made me feel giddy
Thanks!
Old 03-25-2011, 11:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Germanos View Post
Yes, despite the fact that I know how bad alcohol is for me I still drank.

This link has some interesting benefits of not drinking. I remember studying all of these effects some odd years ago. This is short though and definitely worth reading for anyone who needs a boost of encouragement.

I can't post links yet so ill post it. Credit goes to skwigg . com / id54 . html **Note: I am a guy... but all of these effects that she refers to about women apply to men just as well!!

Alcohol & Exercise
Daily alcohol consumption will slow or stop your results. The drawbacks are probably going to far outweigh any health benefits. Your liver can't metabolize alcohol and fat at the same time. It will always get rid of the toxic substance (alcohol) first. That means that as long as there's alcohol in your system you won't be burning any body fat. If you have one or two drinks, you might stall your fat loss for a few hours. If you have quite a few drinks, it might be as long as four days before you're metabolizing fat again.

Drinking also dehydrates you, raises cortisol levels (goodbye muscles), raises estrogen levels (hello hips), lowers inhibitions (pizza anyone?). Combine that with the fact that alcohol promotes abdominal fat storage (of all places!) and it's really not worth it, not even on free day, not if you're serious about making a major transformation.

I personally don't drink alcohol at all. I'm way too freaky about my definition and nothing will wreck your abs faster. I know several women who have a few drinks once a week and they've still achieved their goals. I know other women who if they have even one drink a week can't lose that puffy lower belly or see any definition in their abs. Just how negative the impact is probably depends on your goals, age, activity level, metabolism, and a zillion other things.

If wine with dinner is part of your lifestyle, and you're not in any particular hurry to have abs like a cheese grater, you might experiment a little. See if you can have a glass of wine a few times a week and still be making progress. If it's really slow going, keep cutting back the number of drinks until you're satisfied with the level of your results. Of course, if you're wanting to radically transform yourself for a Body for Life challenge, or a tropical vacation, or a big date with a little black dress, forget the alcohol. It's the enemy.
I lost a bunch of weight when I quit drinking...magically. By the end of the first month, I was down into the skinny jeans.
Fabuloso...
Old 03-25-2011, 11:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yes, closetextrovert... congrats! I can't wait to get my strength back. When I was 14 I idolized Bruce Lee, and started working out hardcore everyday. I miss all of the strength and not being self conscious of not wearing a shirt.. Buh now I'm a blob of crap I see good things in my near future though.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My brain functions well now. My memory works again. I sleep like a baby and wake up rested and (usually) feeling good. I no longer hate myself and wish I were dead. I take better care of myself and my dogs and we all show it.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My psoriasis is completely gone. When I drink, my shoulders and upper back get really scaley and crusty.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I never, ever imagined that I would be LESS stressed out about problems at work. Things that would have made me a paranoid mess in the past roll like water off a duck's back now.