Notices

What an AWESOME year it's been!

Old 03-23-2011, 10:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

What an AWESOME year it's been!

Hi everybody. My name is Chris, and I'm an alcoholic. And by that I mean that I am my definition of an alcoholic, and no one else's.

I haven't reached a full year yet. God willing, that will come at 11pm EDT. But I'm pretty confident that I'll make it.

Well, it's been one heck of a year, and I'm not sure I could've done it without SR.com. My last drink was on March 24, 2010, but I didn't know it was my last drink until the next day. Long story short, I had been arrested for my 2nd DUI, came home the next day and wanted to drink myself to sleep, but my fiancee had stayed home from work because she was so upset about my arrest. I thank God that she did stay home, because since I didn't want her to see me drink right after getting home from the pokey, I created this convoluted plan to drive somewhere and drink my 2 tall boys and drive back home. That's when God slapped me (figuratively) upside the head and said, "What the heck are you doing? Normal people don't do stuff like this. Pour it out and get to a meeting." So I did, and I did, and I went to 4 that day, and when I came home I found this site.

If my wonderful fiancee had gone to work that day, I would've drank those beers, and I really don't know where I would be today. But I know that God put it on her heart to stay home, and I truly believe that saved my life.

Anyway, the year, as well as my life, has been more amazing than I could've imagined 365 short days ago. There have been lots of ups and downs, and there's so much more to come, but there have been 2 constants in my life: I haven't had a drink, and God has been with me the entire time. There's nothing that I have done that I could have done without his help, and he gets all the glory.

I used to live my life according to my rules. I didn't care what anyone said: my boss, parents, fiancee, siblings, friends, co-workers, and least of all God. I was going to do things my way, and that was it.

Well, my way got me into lots of trouble, and totally made a mess out of my life as well as other people's. I hurt lots of folks along the way, and while I will try my hardest, there's some fences that just can't be mended.

But when I finally stopped doing things my way, when I gave in and said, "All right, God, my way of doing things has really screwed things up; from now I'm gonna follow you," that's when I really began to see what my life could be. I began to finally feel empowerment by giving up the power that I thought I possessed. I finally felt freedom by giving in and doing things God's way. It seems so contradictory, but once I realized I don't have all the answers, I started knowing more of them.

It's been a long road, and at times it has been tough. But with God, SR, AA, and a fantastic supporting cast of friends and family, I feel very grounded in my recovery, and I'm committed to doing the next right thing, whatever it is, to make my life better. Hopefully I'm able to help a couple folks along the way, as I have been helped by Carol, Dee, Neo, least, Kjell, Anna, and so many others. We have nothing if we are unwilling to give it away.

Thanks to everybody here! My life would not be the same without this site, of that I am quite certain. I am so thankful for this awesome resource that is available to so many people. Thank God for the lives that SR touches every single day.

Everyone, enjoy your Thursday. I sure as heck will!
Old 03-23-2011, 10:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
On my way....

You're an inspiration to living life on its own terms. Congratulations!!! :day2
Old 03-23-2011, 11:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great post Snarf
You should think about reposting it in Stories...after 11 pm EDT, of course!

have a great day, mate....
D
Old 03-24-2011, 12:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm thrilled for you......
Old 03-24-2011, 01:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

(((Snarf))) - Congratulations on a year (it's 4a.m, now and we live in the same area).

What an awesome post. I've followed you, this past year, and you are truly an inspiration.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 03-24-2011, 01:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your year of sobriety and thank you for sharing your story.
It is an inspiration to me and I do want to follow along this path behind you. Reading experiences such as yours gives me hope to continue on. Thank you for helping this alcoholic tonight.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Awesome achievement on 1 year sober!!!!! That's an amazing milestone!!!! Nice one man!!!

Increase The Peace
Old 03-24-2011, 03:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

congrats snarf

and now on to the wonderful two's
Old 03-24-2011, 04:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Thanks for sharing and congrats on one year!
Old 03-24-2011, 04:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Thank you for sharing your story. You're an inspiration and I'm glad to be your friend. Congrats on your year and many more to come. :day1
Old 03-24-2011, 05:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Thanks, Snarf! Awesome! Congrats on a year. God is great!
Old 03-24-2011, 05:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congradulations!
Old 03-24-2011, 06:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
is really trying!

Snarf, you are a great example & support to the Class of March 2011 - please God we'll be where you are this time next year. Congratulations & :day1
Old 03-24-2011, 06:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The longer I'm sober the more I appreciate these stories of courage, strength and determination.
Things happen for a reason, ey? Good thing your girlfriend stayed home that day.
Congratualtions Snarf.:ghug3
Old 03-24-2011, 06:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congratulations Snarf! Very beautiful and inspiring post! I hope you have the most amazing day you deserve it.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

-gratz!!!

A full year was a BIG deal to me. And yanno, it should be......given that most of us couldn't go a WEEK without haaaaaaaving to take a drink.....or 18.

Ups and downs.... that's for sure. The big difference is you've got a new set of tools......a new design for living that can carry you on through the rest of your life. There will be more ups.....and there will be more downs.... don't forget to use the tools.

Super-cool on a year my man.... way to go
Old 03-24-2011, 07:36 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congratulations!!!
Old 03-24-2011, 07:42 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your year sober snarf! Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-24-2011, 07:47 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Congratulations Snarf.

Being truly a newbie here and at my local AA meetings it is inspirational and helps put into perspective the commitment and time it takes to continue recovery.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:48 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Editor

Snarf- This is what it is about. You are living life. You are an inspiration.
Thank you for all that you do!
Dave