Notices

New Here...

Old 03-23-2011, 09:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Here...

I've been drinking for the past 8-9 years, almost daily. Usually only about 4 beers on a light evening, but sometimes over a 12-pack. No hard alcohol; I stuck to beer because I know my limits on that.

I've just noticed that I can't think as clearly as I used to, nor am I as happy as I used to be. I just want my thinking processes and behavioral health back to normal - I want to be happy. That's why I've made the decision, again, to quit. And, I know that sobriety doesn't lead to happiness, but I'm sure I'll have a better shot at it when my brain chemistry is back in balance.

Logically, I know what needs to be done, but I know this is an emotional battle.

Thank you for reading.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

Welcome to SR, skwerrt

Murray
Old 03-23-2011, 09:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome
Old 03-24-2011, 12:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thanks for joining us...Welcome....
Old 03-24-2011, 12:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome skweert

I think you have exactly the right idea about sobriety
You'll find a lot of help and support here

D
Old 03-24-2011, 12:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR (((Skwerrt)))!! SR has been a huge part of my recovery. When I first got here, I read a gazillion posts, and realized I wasn't alone, I wasn't special, I was an addict, and there were people, here, who were in recovery that had what I wanted.

Yep, life still throws us curve balls, but knowing that I'm making decisions that will not cause me more bad consequences in the future, is pretty awesome.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 03-24-2011, 06:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome. There is plenty of info and support here at SR. Keep hanging around.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Skwertt, welcome to SR
Old 03-24-2011, 07:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Skerrt...IDK, I think sobriety leads to happiness...glad you're here. :ghug3
Old 03-24-2011, 02:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you. I do feel welcome. You all seem like a great group of people. From all the posts I've read, I haven't seen anything negative or derogatory.

Starting Day 2

It was difficult to fall asleep last night, as to be expected from previous experiences. No booze no weed, but I did take a sleeping pill. My central nervous system was a bit overactive when trying to fall asleep; it felt like there were pins and needles, or fleas, or ants, or something crawling on me, making it even more difficult to sleep. But, I've been there before so I sort of knew what to expect.

I woke up after a full night's rest, but I don't feel rested at all. I was still very groggy when I woke up this morning, and still am a bit.

But I know it will get better, I have seen the better, and I plan on getting back to that state of being.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You can call me Jay... I was too tired to think of an electrifying screen name last night.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jay,

Welcome to SR!

I'm glad you got through the night alright. As I'm sure you know, it's normal to feel groggy and poorly rested for a few days. I know I was pretty much on auto-pilot for the first few days and managed to get some basic things done, but not much else. It will get better. And, sobriety doesn't necessarily lead to happiness, but I believe that recovery does lead to happiness and peace and self-acceptance.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
...is learning and growing...

Welcome Jay! I completely agree about alcohol screwing up our thinking processes and brain chemistry...or is it that our thinking processes/brain chemistry are a little wonky to begin with so we end up as addicts??? Chicken or the egg type of thing...regardless, I too noticed I don't think as clearly as I used to before I started drinking heavily and this was a big motivator for me to commit to sobriety and recovery.

Best of luck!!!
Old 03-24-2011, 03:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
orangutan

Hi Jay and welcome.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Jay - glad you've decided to get sober! I hope you start to feel better soon. It's no fun going through those first days and weeks, but now you've got lots of friends who are going through it with you!

Stay positive - it will get better!:ghug3
Old 03-24-2011, 03:38 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Moment of Conception

Welcome to SR Jay, great help and support here from a good bunch.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Jay, it's great to have you here. My SR friends have supported and guided me through some rough times. I had no one else to talk to about my drinking - and when I came here I felt comforted & understood.

Glad you've made the decision to remove alcohol from your life. We really don't need it the way we've convinced ourselves we do. Wish I'd learned that years ago. Wishing you the best as you begin this journey.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:12 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome!. We're glad you are here. I'll go in a different direction if you don't mind. For me, being sober was my problem. The only sense of peace I found in this world is when I was drinking. Over time, the solution to my problem became a bigger problem than my problem. Make sense?

In recovery I find a way to live in this world without having to pick up a drink to deal with it. The wife, the kids, friends, work, extended family, the day to day grind... were things that I simply wasn't very good at dealing with. Towards the end of my drinking I was at a point where I couldn't imagine my life with it or without... In a very real sense I was hopeless.

The solution that has worked for me is AA and a plan of recovery. I wish you the best. This site is a huge part of my recovery.

Keep coming back!!!
Old 03-24-2011, 08:05 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome to SR! Glad you are here!