Notices

Beverages you enjoy

Old 03-23-2011, 09:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
On my way....

Cool Beverages you enjoy

So, since giving up alcohol, I've been trying to find other beverages to drink that are "interesting". I'm not a coffee drinker and I already drink way too much Pepsi Max, so soda is out. I have hot tea, some Chai and Constant Comment, I enjoy both....but I was wondering if anyone had any cool suggestions on new beverages they now enjoy. I figure there are several of us who would be interested in this!
Old 03-23-2011, 09:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There is this stuff I like that is basically a ginger syrup for mixed drink...only not sweet or syrupy...I get it at Fairway. Its strong and has a bite...I actually like to sip straight on the rocks as a digestive...or I mix it with seltzer or tonic with a splash of lemon juice...I like tart and bitter...which is weird cause I drank wine.

There is also this stuff called San Bitter i get in the city for special occasions...it tastes like campari.

I really liked my mocktails initially but have cut back lately and try and drink more sparkling water (sometimes with Emergen-C flavor packets).

I've also used sour mix with tonic water and cranberry
Old 03-23-2011, 09:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

Since I've been sober, I started drinking milk. I have hardly drank a quart of milk in the past 25 years, now I drink about 16 ounces a day. Also I found this fantastic tasting stuff that probably is my absolute favorite...water. It is phenomenal over ice.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good question. I'd like to get some other ideas too. I like mixing either cran-blueberry juice or grapefruit juice with seltzer. Cuts down on the sweetness and makes it fizzy. If I want to get fancy, I'll throw in a lime wedge and use a wine or martini glass. Might as well use them for something other than dust collectors!
Old 03-23-2011, 09:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Soda water, ice, fresh lime wedge and fresh mint
Old 03-23-2011, 09:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
On my way....

Originally Posted by LittleSparrow View Post
Good question. I'd like to get some other ideas too. I like mixing either cran-blueberry juice or grapefruit juice with seltzer. Cuts down on the sweetness and makes it fizzy. If I want to get fancy, I'll throw in a lime wedge and use a wine or martini glass. Might as well use them for something other than dust collectors!
That sounds good, a good fruit juice with fizz....yum! I like carbonated drinks, so this sounds right up my alley. I will also have to try that out Totally, I would've never have thought about these.

Lafemme, that sour mix/cranberry/tonic sounds wonderful!!

I need to drink more water creekryder, I actually do have a big glass of that next to me on the nightstand....now drinking it is another story. lol

Good suggestions y'all, keep 'em coming.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Coke Zero with Cherry or PowerAid Zero.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

I'm from Atlanta, so I'm a Coke man since birth. Coke Classic in the daytime, Caffeine Free Coke at night. I also like a good Cherry 7UP every now and then. I know it's not healthy, but I'm a soda fiend, and I also ain't the healthiest individual around. One day my blessing of a high metabolism will turn into a curse when it slows to a halt. Hope that's a long way down the road.

I'm also a fan of milkshakes, or generally anything involving ice cream. When I first stopped drinking, I made my own milkshakes, and all different kinds. Strawberry, banana, Reese's ice cream...It's all good. But the other night I had a Peanut Butter Cup milkshake at dinner, and it was awesome. I remember thinking to myself, "This is fantastic, and it's huge, and it's only $3.99! Why did I spend $6 on beer that was half the size and not nearly as tasty?"

Well, we all know the answer to that one: because I'm an alcoholic. But I'm sure glad I now opt for the shake over the booze.

I should maybe work on finding some less-horrible-for-me things to drink, but hey, at least it's not alcohol, right?
Old 03-23-2011, 10:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I planted a potted herb garden with spearmint. I take a couple of spearmint leaves in a pitcher of water, put it in the fridge for better tasting water.

Seltzer with either orange juice or pineapple juice.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I love Italian sparkling lemonade. Also Juice Squeeze that is sparkling water with natural juice- Mango/Passion, Lemon/Lime are my faves. They sell it by the case at Costco. Also uses pure cane sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup. I fill up a cup with ice chips and pour it in. Then I eat it with a spoon. Delicious dessert! Yum - I'm going to have one now! :P

Last edited by yoli; 03-23-2011 at 11:06 PM. Reason: bad speller
Old 03-23-2011, 11:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

After I quit drinking I got hooked on bottled mineral water from Mexico~~ Topo Chico. I love the stuff! It's essentially just carbonated water but it has far more 'bite' to it than club soda or Perrier or any other bottled mineral water I've found. Added benefit is no calories... hence I have dropped 60+ lbs since I stopped drinking beer & started drinking Topo Chico. And all those other bennies that come from drinking water like clear skin & a more youthful appearance, blah blah /end Topo Chico commercial.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

For me it's hot tea all the way (but I live in a colder climate). Black tea in the morning and green tea in the evening.

I drink carbonated water (sometimes flavored) with dinner.

At lunch sometimes I'll have a Jarritos (Mexican soda, really sweet and bad for you).
Old 03-24-2011, 05:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Forgot to mention San Pelligrino Limonatta and Aranciata...yum! Funny I blanch at the cost of those but they are nothing compared to booze.

There are a lot of good drocery stores in my area...I always check out their beverages. Had lavender soda once...spectacular.

Think I am going to plant a big pot of mint this summer!
Old 03-24-2011, 05:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
On my way....

Y'all have some really good ideas. I kinda wander around the soda aisle, then browse the coffee aisle (wishing I drank coffee, there's a LOT of options there!!)....I love the mixed fizzy drinks ideas. I see there are a lot of healthy options here....which is good because I'm trying to go forward in a more healthy direction.

Sidenote: Lafemme, I just wanted to say that I really look up to you, I've been reading in the archives and came across a post when you were here only a week, and I really admire how you came into sobriety and how you view it now. I hope that I can adopt your views someday (how you don't want your wine glasses spoiled, etc). You rock!!
Old 03-24-2011, 06:40 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I hooked on Propel Fitness water, it's cheap, low calories and actually pretty good for a person.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Come home from work and crack open a nice cold 12oz can of...........diet caffeine free coke/pepsi. I drink it in like 10 mins and it fills me up and makes me happy. I use to do that with a beer. Diet soda is also not great for you, but hey......whaddayawantfromme ??
Old 03-24-2011, 06:45 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I like Perrie sparkling water when we go out to dinner other wise it's fruit juce and water 50/50
Old 03-24-2011, 06:59 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm not very adventurous...tea or water...Mt. Dew. LOL Since I normally wouldn't sit around with 'a glass' of anything and swigged out of the bottle -it doesn' matter what I have in my glass. And I usually kept 'something' in my glass so it looked like I wasn't drinking. LOL
I really do need to expand my thirst quenching alternatives.

Hey Ten...good job on losing that weight!! Awesome.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:01 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

My favs: Anything by San Pellegrino...I second La Femme...the limonata is great. Another good one: half iced tea and lemonade. I don't like super sweet drinks and usually stick to water but when I want something else, the above drinks are what I usually go to. In the evenings, I'm a huge fan of Sleepytime tea or Tension Tamer. They're herbal and a good way to wind down.

ddog

As a PS: One time I was in a rush to get somewhere and grabbed a big bottle of Pellegrino to take with me in the car. It comes in green bottles. As I was taking a swig at a red light, I had the horrible thought that the other drivers probably thought I was chugging wine. LOL. Capped that sucker quick.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:12 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Editor

I am a lazy drinker-ex beer. So I dont want to put alot of work into it. Buffalo rock makes a ginger ale that is simply amazing. it actually makes your lips and the back of your throat burn. Not exactly good for you but very satisfying. Also lipton diet citrus green tea. Very satisfying on a hot day. Topo chico- I will have to give that a try. I like stuff that has a little bite. The sparkling drinks are a good idea for summertime grill parties. I cant wait.Doodle- My wife loves the Arnold Palmer (tea/lemonade). I guess I will have to give it a try. That is funny about the Pellegrino. I catch myself still covering my sodas and water in the vehicle. It is so refreshing when I realize that I dont have to worry about that anymore.
Good thread Rachel.