Notices

Beverages you enjoy

Old 03-24-2011, 07:37 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Heh.... I went through a "Monster" phase for a year or so. I'd buy that stuff at Sam's a couple cases at a time...... along with 3 or 4 cases of Diet Coke or Diet Pepsi. Surprisingly...... I just wasn't tired at night anymore - LOL. I guess drinking 6 Pepsi's at night isn't a problem when it's mixed with half a gallon of Captain Morgan's - hehe.

I still go through coffee phases.... one.....two....maybe part of a THIRD pot per morning, but I reeeeeally try to avoid that much. Coming off 2 pots a day is a killer for at least 2 or 3 days - reminds me of hangovers.

Now though... I'm goin old-school. Water......straight up.......and lots of it. I've got this huuuge mug that I got from 7-11. It holds 52 oz and I probably go thorough two per day (there's ice in it so it's not a FULL 52oz per mug). Going to "plain ol water" kinda sucked at first.....but I figure it's probably the healthiest (and certainly cheapest) option.

DT
Old 03-24-2011, 07:54 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I always have Arizona diet green tea with Ginseng on hand. They sell it in gallon sized plastic jugs and I always have one on the counter. Zero calories, but made with Splenda, so no icky aftertaste. Other than that, hot tea and water pretty much.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:10 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Originally Posted by Bikeguy View Post
I hooked on Propel Fitness water, it's cheap, low calories and actually pretty good for a person.
I love that stuff. Got hooked on the Lemon Propel when they were giving out free bottles before a Braves game. It's sooooo good.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:15 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

So just recently I found Diet Mountain Dew Voltage. I know it sounds kind of crazy with Voltage in the name, but it is delicious. It actually tastes like the blue part of a bomb pop, which is my other thing I love....popsicles. Other than that I rock gatorade and juices of any kind, since I deprived my body from good things like that for so long that I believe it deserves it. I like the idea of adding the selter water to give it some carbonation, so I will have to try that.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:26 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
Forgot to mention San Pelligrino Limonatta and Aranciata...yum! Funny I blanch at the cost of those but they are nothing compared to booze.

There are a lot of good drocery stores in my area...I always check out their beverages. Had lavender soda once...spectacular.

Think I am going to plant a big pot of mint this summer!
Me too!...and San Pelligrino is only $1.50 a bottle at wally-mart.

this subject comes up periodically, but I want that stuff from Costco!

there is a terrific grapefruit soda made with Splenda..the brand name is "Waist-watchers", it tastes like real soda, no funky after-taste from aspertame. i can find it a shop-rite and stop and shop in my area.

I am a big fan of Smart-Water..it tastes "crisp" to me. I also love the caffiene free fruit teas very tasty.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:30 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Green tea, Italian sodas in different flavors, and fruit smoothies are awesome in the summer!
Old 03-24-2011, 08:42 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
...is learning and growing...

I actually drink both a ton of water and coffee everyday (at least 4-5 cups of each)...before I started drinking alcoholically I hated water so the ONE good thing from that phase of my life is that the horrendous dehydration drinking caused turned me into a water drinking fiend, lol...one time my daughter heard me say I used to hate water and she asked, "what made you want to drink so much water now?" I can't remember how I responded but the honest answer would have been, "Because mom gets falling down drunk every day and really needs to replace her fluids..." Sad, I know...
Old 03-24-2011, 08:45 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

when i was giving birth the hospital, they gave me Cranberry juice cocktail, with sprite or something, sooooo good
Old 03-24-2011, 08:49 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

also Sparkling apple cider in a fancy champange flute
Old 03-24-2011, 09:02 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Mio is good, it's just a concentrated 0 calorie flavored liquid that you can add to water. Comes in a little squirt bottle.

I am also a fan of chocolate milk.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:29 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I also enjoy seltzer water/club soda. You can get the flavored kind - not with sugar or fake sugar, just the essence of fruitiness. Here in Michigan Faygo makes several flavors, Canada Dry makes 2 liter bottles of plain, raspberry and lemon/lime, and you can also get lots of flavors of Cap 10 in 1 liter bottles and La Croix in cans. Sometimes they are in the pop (soda/coke/pepsi) aisle and sometimes by bottled water. Poland Spring, San Pellegrino and Perrier also make flavors.

I haven't been to a bar in this round of sobriety yet (this should be the last), but in the past I've ordered club soda with a splash of cranberry and a lime - tasty, low calorie, looks like a cocktail, no one asks you about it.

I also like tea - decaf Chai (yum), mint herbal, "Sleepy time" mint/chamomile - they are good before bed when I used to drink.

*Edit* sometimes they will give you club soda with a splash for free. Huge money saver!

Last edited by theatredork; 03-24-2011 at 09:30 AM. Reason: add free thing
Old 03-24-2011, 09:51 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Great question, Rachel. Even before I stopped, I was trying to slow down with San Pellegrino. I like the flavored (orange is best) and plain. Costco has it cheap by the case. Last weekend, we had a fire in the pit with neighbors who were drinking. I filled my tumbler with Pellegrino and a wedge of lime. No one had to know that I wasn't drinking my signature vodka and tonic. But, I did tell.

Sleepytime tea and both caffeinated and decaf green tea by the cup are great. Funny, I now overcaffeinate from coffee after the second cup in the am and have cut down. When I was drinking, the second pot wouldn't phase me.

Costco also has a great deal on Newman's Own 100% grape juice - no high fructose, and on another brand mix of blueberry and concord grape. Great antioxidants.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:39 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Sick doctor

Face-melting ginger cordial in ***everything***
...in tea, apple juice, sparkling water, cherry cordial, stir-fry beef...
Old 03-24-2011, 12:47 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by theatredork View Post
*Edit* sometimes they will give you club soda with a splash for free. Huge money saver!
Most bars supply the designated driver for free. I'm always the DD now and usually order soda with a splash of cran and lime also. refreshing and low cal with more flavor than water.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:51 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Propel is another good one. So is Izze, (they sell it at Costco here in Seattle).
Old 03-24-2011, 01:05 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Don't forget good ol' sun-brewed Lipton Iced Tea. I'll have to try the Arnold Palmer this summer.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:11 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I used to go through A LOT of soda when I got drunk everyday. It was used as mixer or chaser. Now I don't even want it and don't even think twice about it. Now I sometimes drink tea but 99% of the time, it's water.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:56 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

Yep, add me to San pelligrino by the case at Costco. Also I love to make iced tea out of more interesting flavors like hibiscus tea or morrocan mint (world market has a bunch). Chai, Thai iced tea, diet coke... My go-to dinner beverages are San pelligrino for fancy and diet caffeine free soda for casual fare. Great thread!
Old 03-24-2011, 06:53 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
On my way....

Originally Posted by kmkluvr1 View Post
when i was giving birth the hospital, they gave me Cranberry juice cocktail, with sprite or something, sooooo good
For some reason, this sounds so good to me right now! I wish the grocery store were still open because I think I would make a special trip out! lol

There are some really good ideas on here, a lot of them I never would have thought of. Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I don't think I will run out of new things to try!
Old 03-24-2011, 06:59 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Great Thread Rachel. Tiger Blood of course!! Just kidding. We have a juicer and my wife makes "Tiger Blood". Carrots, beets, and apples. Tastes great and extremely good for you.