Notices

calling all foodies

Old 03-23-2011, 05:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
orangutan

calling all foodies

I have always enjoyed a good meal with a good wine , my husband is complaining that our meals have become a little bland lately ( not that the meals are bad I am a good cook) but I am not cooking the type of meal we would have a wine with , I have been doing this on purpose so I will not be as tempted to drink but I realise I am being unfair on him, he still wants his wine every now and then and that is fair enough he does not have a problem .
Meal times are hard.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Totally! I'm in the exact same boat. No comforting words for you. But sharing a bottle of red with my husband over a beautiful dinner is something I miss terribly. Cooking has always been one of my favorite things to do and I'm so sad that it's not the same. I cook a lot with wine too, but haven't wanted to deal with the half full bottle leftover. Sorry, but the substitutions just can't replace the real thing. I lament!!!!!!
Old 03-23-2011, 06:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aussieblue View Post
I have always enjoyed a good meal with a good wine .
You mean you have always enjoyed good wine with a good meal. LOL
Luckily, I don't have anyone in the house that 'enjoys' any alcohol for that reason...but I would think that maybe you should make a regular meal as you would IF you were drinking and have a nice glass of sparkling water with a lemon wedge with it. I am not an expert, but I would think that your habits would have to change and not your husbands. Part of not drinking is changing habits...hence, learning to eat a good meal minus the booze. I have to do the same thing because everytime I go out to eat I'd have a couple beers. Today my son and I hit McDonalds. I haven't been there in absolute ages but wanted to go because they don't serve booze and I wouldn't even have to see it or be tempted.
It's not easy I know. Keep up the good work.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
orangutan

Originally Posted by EmeraldRose View Post
You mean you have always enjoyed good wine with a good meal. LOL
LOL busted.

We have been having regular meals just not something he would normally like to have wine with (which is why I was cooking those type of meals) but now that he has said something I will make something nice for tonight . Today I am having one of my stronger days and think I could handle it more.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What helped for me is that I have trained myself to be pretty turned off by alcohol. When I made a beautiful dinner recently for family...with candles and China and the works I was really disgusted that I had to buy expensive wine for them and corrupt my beautiful crystal flutes with it.

It took work to get here but its a good place to be
Old 03-23-2011, 09:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
What helped for me is that I have trained myself to be pretty turned off by alcohol.
It took work to get here but its a good place to be
How did you do that?
Old 03-23-2011, 09:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I like to cook and love to eat. My family and friends really like my risotto, which I normally made with pinot grigio or another suitable wine, along with stock broth. My wife also likes to cook, but has no interest in alcohol. She convinced me to make a risotto without wine last week and it was pretty damn good! Pancetta ham, sage, chanterelle mushrooms, parmesan cheese, onion, all cooked in chicken stock and good olive oil. Finished with a few fresh basil leaves and smoked salt. Killer! I didn't miss the wine at all.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bevin View Post
How did you do that?
Part of it was an association thing between smell and taste...beer smells like a tap room at Dartmouth where the guys pissed along the walls...hard alcohol smellls llike rubbing alcohol...wine like vinegar. Whenever you think of the booze imagine drinking the other stuff. When I first got sober I used to practice it all the time. If I was around an open contaoner of alcohol I would take a sniff and smell the other smell...its unconventional and I don't know if anyolne else has tried and done this...but I really can't stomach the smell of alcohol now...and its gotten so I don't even thinkm wine in a glass is pretty (that took longer).
Old 03-23-2011, 10:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

beer smells like a tap room at Dartmouth where the guys pissed along the walls...
Ha ha - nice. I'm gonna use that.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

aussieblue, why not drink grape juice and your husband drink red wine. You said that you enjoy a good wine and a good meal but you decided to quit, so it maybe time to change that chain of thought. I was never that type of person to drink alcohol with a meal. I would rather have a coke or water then alcohol. I drink to get a buzz or drunk.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

My non drinking Mom cooked out of church cookbooks ..
her non drinking Grandmothers memory ....and Betty Crocker.

No alcohol was served or cooked with.
I sure don't equate eating alcohol with food.

During my drinking days...3 or so cocktails before dinner
and who cared what the food contained....

Perhaps this link would be useful

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/Article...bstitutes.aspx

I've been keeping my homes alcohol free for many years .
people still enjoy coming for dinner... ...
I can entertain more now that I don't spend money on alcohol.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
orangutan

Part of it was an association thing between smell and taste...beer smells like a tap room at Dartmouth where the guys pissed along the walls...hard alcohol smellls llike rubbing alcohol...wine like vinegar. Whenever you think of the booze imagine drinking the other stuff. When I first got sober I used to practice it all the time. If I was around an open contaoner of alcohol I would take a sniff and smell the other smell...its unconventional and I don't know if anyolne else has tried and done this...but I really can't stomach the smell of alcohol now...and its gotten so I don't even thinkm wine in a glass is pretty (that took longer).
LOL that sure would work but it might turn me off the meal as well.

Last night my husband had his wine with dinner I HAD NONE and it didn't worry me at all I was having a really good day so I might try to time those wine nights with my moods at first.Baby steps.
Thanks for the replies .
Old 03-24-2011, 08:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I love to cook while I'm drinking wine and I love to eat while I'm drinking wine! :P