Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

When do you tell your friends and former "drinking buddies"....?

Notices

When do you tell your friends and former "drinking buddies"....?

Old 03-24-2011, 11:09 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome....

All my best to you and your wife as you move into sobriety
Old 03-24-2011, 12:02 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Heathen

Well, I got rid of all my drinking buddies by quitting drinking.. they didn't care about an explanation anyways.

I tell my friends I don't drink.

Other than that it's no one's business, nor are they interested in the sordid details that helped me reach that decision, it's not their journey, it's not their burden to bear. They only care that I'm healthier, and happier.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:30 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I found it surprizing how quickly the drinking buddies dropped like flies when I quit drinking. It was really all I had surrounded myself with..because that is what I did! But even drinking I thought we shared bonds. I only keep in touch with a couple of people now. And we do things together not wrapped around drinking. I have had a couple of "how do you NOT drink?" questions but I think it comes from them wanting to quit drinking but not knowing how to. The one thing I did that others (that I know) are unwilling to do is stop going to bars or clubs. AND the more I stayed away the more I didn't miss the insanity of it all. Long story short..not drinking is a personal choice and who cares if anyone has a hard time grasping the why of it.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:41 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I don't have any friends, so it's not that hard.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:37 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

This is one way in which my probation restrictions are a bit of a blessing - if any close friends or family try to nudge me out to a bar or offer a glass of wine, I can shut it down pretty easily by reminding them of the consequences I face if I am caught doing either one. Built in excuse. The downside is that it's allowed me to escape taking any sort of personal stance on the issue with them, so their likely impression is that I'm just waiting out the clock and will resume... I'll probably need to address things more affirmatively at that point, but I've got a couple of years left in this excuse.

As for the pals who were strictly drinking buddies, I used avoidance as a tactic and they all evaporated pretty quickly, no explanations necessary...