Notices

A glass of wine a day is good for your heart

Old 03-22-2011, 06:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A glass of wine a day is good for your heart

I'm sorry I'm on a bit of a posting spree this morning but I'm having a LOT of thoughts and they are all over the place today. I had the news on and they had a segment about how a glass of wine a day is good for you- I'm sure you all have heard this before- and I was wondering how to mentally process information like this.

I mean, it sounds logical???

I know I can't drink a glass and stop so I'm not looking to rationalize or suggest to myself that I can moderate. I know I can't. My question is, what kind of self-talk helps in this situation, where you hear something on the media or out in public that sounds totally logical, but you know you cant afford to believe will work for you, ever?
Old 03-22-2011, 06:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think we have to own the fact that it's not possible for us. We'll end up in a dumpster.

Funny- I used to send my husband articles about the health aspects of drinking. LOL

Well gotta go to work! Have an excellent sober day everyone!! See you tonight!!
Old 03-22-2011, 07:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Lol yes, thinking about ending up in a dumpster sounds like a good Jedi mindtrick to quickly snap me back into reality...
Old 03-22-2011, 07:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

As mentioned quite often here, "play the tape all the way through."

My wine glass would be the exact size of a bottle.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I always accept that I am wired different than normies so any news stories such as "a glass of wine is good for the heart" do not pertain to me.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

It's a fact that never drinking is much better for me than drinking one drink a day. I believe that with all my heart. So I don't need to talk myself down anymore.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ah yes, the health benefits of red wine. That's why this functioning alcoholic switched from whiskey and beer to wine 10 years ago, and if 1-2 glass a day are good for you, 6-7 must be even better, right? Red wine may have been good for my heart and liver (it tested ok after many years of averaging a bottle and a half of wine per night), but it still left me hung over, grumpy and moody the day after, and re-wired my brain in very unhealthy ways, which all alcohol consumption in those quanities will do. In addition, since nobody wants to admit to drinking that much, I became a regular liar and deceiver, and generally behaved in ways that I am ashamed of and would never want to repeat.

There are much better ways to get the anti-oxident and other benefits of red wine. I'm really getting into green tea and berry juices. All the benefits with none of the ugliness. Cheers my friend!
Old 03-22-2011, 07:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

yes, of course!!! Red wine has many benefits......for most people who STOP at a glass...unlike me who would prefer an entire VAT....

for my red wine benefits.....I am taking a resveratrol supplement these days...that way i don't feel like i'm missing anything, LOL:rotfxko
Old 03-22-2011, 07:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

I wouldn't give up my life, my job, my happiness for a drink, but I would give it up for the second one!
Old 03-22-2011, 07:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Grape juice has the same health benefits as wine, just sayin'...
Old 03-22-2011, 07:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Ditto to what Least said

Towards the end, I rationalized every drink I took. It's just the insanity we find ourselves in, that will ultimately kill us.

Glad you're here, posting and pursuing a sober life!
Old 03-22-2011, 07:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You know...if you look at smoking advertisements from the 50's they featured doctors recommending smoking for your throat and lungs. Personally I don't see how a glass of poison a day is beneficially for anyone...it is my opinion that it is the reservatil in the grape juice that has the benefits and the alcohol is just along for the ride...so get a nice bottle of grape juice and drink that...better yet go for a walk or a run if you really want to help your heart
Old 03-22-2011, 07:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

P.s. - I would not be surprised if 20-30 years from now there was a revelation that the liquor industry's knew all along how bad alcohol was for people and was covering it up the same way big tobacco did.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Wow there are so many different ways to look at just this one little thing- that's exactly what I was looking for! Option of thought. Because things like this used to get filed away in my brain to be used as handy excuses when I wanted to take that first drink.

I have only been legitimately 2 days sober, but I am going to start speaking about drinking in the past tense anyway. I know it's all semantics but these little things mean a lot to me right now.

Every one of these replies is tremendously helpful! Thank you. Keep them coming
Old 03-22-2011, 07:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I now prefer my grapes fairly fresh off the vine as opposed to being fermented with yeast and bacteria and crushed and left to sit around in barrels that are used over and over for months or longer before they even get into a bottle. Yes fresh grapes are much more appealing to me.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

all things in moderation HA HA AH MORDEERATONN! I can't even pronounce it!:rotfxko
Old 03-22-2011, 07:55 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It makes me laugh that they put these kinds of stories in the paper but somehow the headline: "NOT DRINKING AT ALL HELPS YOU LOSE WEIGHT, SAVE MONEY AND FEEL HAPPIER" never makes it.

Maybe the full page Jacobs Creek ad on the next page has something to do with that.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:00 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jamdls View Post
I now prefer my grapes fairly fresh off the vine as opposed to being fermented with yeast and bacteria and crushed and left to sit around in barrels that are used over and over for months or longer before they even get into a bottle. Yes fresh grapes are much more appealing to me.
:ghug3thank you for reminding me that I do have a beautiful bunch of green grapes sitting in my fridge! I will mix a few into my salad tonight.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:06 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Grape juice has the same health benefits as wine, just sayin'...
I think the wine being good for you idea was probably started as an advertisement by some wine company.

And why is Stugotz posting on least's account?
Old 03-22-2011, 08:14 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

One baby asprin a day will have the same health benefit.

Zube