Notices

A glass of wine a day is good for your heart

Old 03-22-2011, 08:16 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I don't like tofu, and even though I hear it's good for me I don't eat it. I never liked wine to begin with so even if it has health benefits I'm not drinking it. Now when they find the health benefits of drinking a litre of vodka and a 12 pack of beer in an evening let me know.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:21 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Also, after attending the "smoking" AA meeting last night, I don't firmly believe that recovering alcoholics are overly concerned with heart health.

LOL!
Zube
Old 03-22-2011, 08:23 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Okay, wine is good for your heart, but what about your LIVER!! for us non normies....no wine is better than a glass..... I know iit's easier for me to have 0 glasses than being able to stop at 3!!
Old 03-22-2011, 08:27 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Somehow I managed to get all the crappy stuff and none of the health benefits!......

We're so used to listening to the voice that says "I want/need a drink" that things like this are perfect for feeding that obsession. It took a good month or two before the sane and real "me" was in charge. At day 2 I couldn't even get a glimpse of that person.

You're only job is to get through the next 24 hours sober...... the rest is icing on the cake!

Besides, when they talk about a "glass" of wine, they're talking about 5 ounces, not the mug-sized glass I was used to! It would be torture having that much wine everyday..................
Old 03-22-2011, 09:11 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Penicillin is good for infections...unless you are allergic to it.

Eating nuts is good for your heart... unless you are allergic to nuts.

Chocolate is good for your heart...unless you are obese.

We could do this all day long....
Old 03-22-2011, 12:14 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by spqr View Post
It makes me laugh that they put these kinds of stories in the paper but somehow the headline: "NOT DRINKING AT ALL HELPS YOU LOSE WEIGHT, SAVE MONEY AND FEEL HAPPIER" never makes it.

Maybe the full page Jacobs Creek ad on the next page has something to do with that.
Genuis!
Old 03-22-2011, 12:40 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BobGT View Post
I think the wine being good for you idea was probably started as an advertisement by some wine company.

And why is Stugotz posting on least's account?
Probably so.

As for the other thing, Im really tryin to cut back...
Old 03-22-2011, 12:48 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Well, when this first came out (back in the early '80's)I had been sober a while already and did the 'proper' thing and talked with my Dr about it. He knew about my alcoholism.

His reply to me was that a glass of Welch's a day was just as good. roflmao

Now today, being a diabetic I still drink my Welch's, but it is Welch's 'lite', lol I drink lots of green tea, and make sure I have other anti-oxidents in my diet on a daily basis.

Whether the 'wine' industry took advantage of it or not, I don't know and quite honestly don't care. I do believe though, that I, and I only, am in the end responsible for what does and does not go into my body.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 03-22-2011, 02:36 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hey Fandy,
I heard the jury is still out on Resveratrol. So far research has only been done in mice and currently there's no evidence that it is effective in humans for any of its claims. Thought you should know.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:33 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I used to live with a professional winemaker, who had a winery. The "wine industry" has been pushing for a long time to be permitted to note the putative health benefit along with the warning labels. The BATF won't permit it.

So it isn't the liquor industry promoting it.

My dad, who's 82 and has had a heart attack and bypass surgery has his one glass a day with dinner. He'll have a beer once in awhile. He's not a drinker. The one glass a day probably IS good for him--at the very least, it isn't going to hurt him.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:17 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Actually, I believe a lot of people in the medical profession drink a lot due to stress from their jobs.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:33 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I would rather end up in the ditch than the dumpster.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:44 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
P.s. - I would not be surprised if 20-30 years from now there was a revelation that the liquor industry's knew all along how bad alcohol was for people and was covering it up the same way big tobacco did.
I think with the all the physical issues that we know alcohol creates, needless to mention the sociological and family problems, I really don't think we have to wait that long to know that cover-up is pretty damn transparent. The industry loves us being alcoholics, obviously.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:02 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
A work in progress

The problems caused by alcohol are well-known--there is no "cover up". What's obvious is obvious. It damages all of the internal systems, causes death and injury and a variety of sociological problems. Not news. Big yawn.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:29 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

lol, Lexie, don't romanticize it so much!

I don't have a gripe with winemakers and breweries, any more than I blame Mazda for making the car that rear-ended me on the freeway a few weeks ago. I'm sure the vast majority of Mazda owners drive responsibly...
Old 03-23-2011, 02:03 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
The problems caused by alcohol are well-known--there is no "cover up". What's obvious is obvious. It damages all of the internal systems, causes death and injury and a variety of sociological problems. Not news. Big yawn.
I don't know about that so much...since getting sober when my friends find out....and these are well educated non-alcoholic people, I am met with general confusion aboutwhy I would want to live without it in my life. If I mention health benefits I'm met with blank stares...I once brought up societal problems to a friend who is practicallya non-drinker...she's brilliant is a professor of economics and she looked at a complete loss as to what I was talking about. The only person who I have spoken to who gets this is my only friend in recovery.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:48 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Well, true moderate drinking isn't dangerous for most people, hence the blank stares. People who don't understand addiction can't "get" why we, personally, don't just ramp it down.

Unlike nicotine, which is physically addictive to the majority of smokers (people who use it long enough to get past feeling sick from the first few puffs), alcohol isn't addictive to most people who consume alcohol. Very few smokers are going to have one cigarette a day (which probably would cause minimal damage).

I've said it before--I think the world would probably be better off if nobody drank. But I don't think alcohol is inherently evil. Just my opinion, I know others who disagree, and I respect the difference of opinion.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:19 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

The only way I could have "a glass" of ANYTHING alcoholic is if the ******* glass is the size of a five gallon bucket!
Old 03-23-2011, 06:19 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

resveratrol can be gotten in suppliments and antioxidants are in many food groups and, once again, supplements...

I remember telling a GP friend that a glass of wine a day is good for you and he laughed at me...asking who told you that?
Old 03-23-2011, 10:25 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I also heard on the news the other day that couples that have sex more frequently during the week have a longer life and lose 10 years.
There are ALOT of statistics and studies and thoughts that the media has...you could drive yourself nuts just thining about it muchless trying everything to live a longer life.
I'm happy in my little world, I exercise -walk my dog twice daily, eat healthy and don't drink! That's good enough for me!