SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   My First Day of AA (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/222791-my-first-day-aa.html)

loro 03-21-2011 05:58 PM

My First Day of AA

I'm 24. I had my first AA meeting today and it completely surpassed my expectations. I was terrified when I went in (and I have social anxiety), was shaking, almost talked myself out of it a few times. But when the discussions started, I just felt so refreshed, knowing that there are other people out there like me and I'm not alone. I may have been the youngest one there, but I'm grateful that I caught it before I got a DUI, or had kids, or ruined a marriage. When I left everyone gave me a hug and someone even said my presence helped them. I'm not sure what the point of this is, I just needed to rave. If you're thinking about going to AA, but are scared for whatever reason (mine was the religious-ish aspect), give it a try. I'm so glad I did.
And thank you to this forum, because I had been reading it for months before finally working up the courage to help myself.

stacylove 03-21-2011 06:10 PM

Awesome job, I'm glad you had an enlightening experience. Hug

1_day@_a_time 03-21-2011 06:12 PM

CONGRATS on your courage to take a positive step in recovery!

CheekyAngel 03-21-2011 06:28 PM

Im proud of you... especially with the social anxiety...

I suffer from social anxiety too and it stops me from doing basically everything. I am in addiction counselling at the moment. Only really getting started.
They hold groups there and i have always told myself i will not go. I dont want to go to a group meeting (bcoz of anxiety), but your story is encouraging for me....

It is good to hear that you were okay when you were there. Hopefully you will continue to keep going and bettering yourself.

Keep it up...

March7 03-21-2011 06:34 PM

It was my first meeting tonight too- I am proud of us both!! :)

loro 03-21-2011 06:56 PM

YAY!!!
And CheekyAngel, I cannot express how scared I was, but everyone was SO kind and welcoming that I basically forgot about it by the end. I really recommend giving it a shot.

johnnymau 03-21-2011 10:15 PM

Hey, look at that, you are carrying the message already! Way to go!

reggiewayne 03-21-2011 10:23 PM

http://xa-speakers.org/pafiledb.php?...category&id=13

Loro Welcome! THAT IS AWESOME STUFF! I posted a link for you to listen to. I would start at the Dr's opinion and work your way down. It will explain how AA works. It's very entertaining and very helpful. Keep going to the meetings, but when you're in your car or working out, these podcast are awesome!!!!

reggiewayne 03-21-2011 10:24 PM

XA-Speakers - The lights are on!

Loro Welcome! THAT IS AWESOME STUFF! I posted a link for you to listen to. I would start at the Dr's opinion and work your way down. It will explain how AA works. It's very entertaining and very helpful. Keep going to the meetings, but when you're in your car or working out, these podcast are awesome!!!!

loro 03-22-2011 07:32 PM

Thanks everyone! My third day of sobriety... I got a raise at work today!!! I celebrated with an AA speaker meeting instead of a drink. It was amazing and inspiring! I can't wait to go again tomorrow!

loro 06-26-2015 07:20 PM

I haven't been on my account in a long time and just found this post. FYI I haven't drank since before my first meeting, over 4 years now! :)

Fly N Buy 06-26-2015 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by loro (Post 5440964)
I haven't been on my account in a long time and just found this post. FYI I haven't drank since before my first meeting, over 4 years now! :)

Really, Wow!
That's fantastic

How'd you do it loro????

Dee74 06-26-2015 07:42 PM

That's really awesome news Loro - congrats!
D

Lola23 06-26-2015 07:44 PM

Wow!! That is amazing. I just read your post and didn't realize it was from 4 yrs ago until I got to your note. I was going to post that I had a very similar awesome experience when I first walked into my first meeting 5 weeks ago.

Great to hear that it's been going well for you!!

rachelle77 06-26-2015 09:31 PM

I too didn't realize the original post was from years ago. Was such a great surprise to read that you've now had 4 years of sobriety! Huge congratulations on 4 years!

Venecia 06-26-2015 09:46 PM

How wonderful!

Thank you, Loro, for this inspiring update.

tomsteve 06-27-2015 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by loro (Post 5440964)

Congrats!!!
Sooo, fill us in.. What did ya have to do to get here? How's your life today?

sugarbear1 06-27-2015 05:35 AM

most of those other people also suffered from social anxiety!!!

Congratulations on 4 years of sobriety!!!!

IOAA2 06-27-2015 05:55 AM

Hi and thank you for your great update.

Good things happen when we work for them and let them happen.

BE WELL

site1Q84 06-27-2015 05:56 AM

Amazing loro! Congratulations!! So glad you decided to check in so we can celebrate with you