Notices

Attraction rather than promotion

Old 03-22-2011, 10:42 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 1_day@_a_time View Post
It's quite troubling to see literally hundreds if not thousands come here in the last 8 yrs suffer, struggle and relapse over and over. Then there are those that die too......sr people. (this also happens in the rooms of AA too I admit, mostly due to being stubborn and defiant)
Although troubling indeed, people do not relapse over and over, and die, in AA or anywhere else, "mostly due to being stubborn and defiant."

People die because they keep drinking. However, many other people live, and usually get better, by stubbornly and defiantly refusing to have any more booze.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:50 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Inafishbowl View Post
I hate the idea that someone might never come back because of a bad first impression...someone who otherwise would come to love AA.
"Don't talk about God or the Steps, you might scare away the newcomer." Anybody ever hear something along these lines? I have, and I believe it's one of the most dangerous concepts heard around the program.

It's true, talk about the specific and precise nature of the AA program may scare some people away. I know it scared me away at one time. Not to worry, though, because booze quickly brought me back to the level of desperation required to work the program and recover.

Thankfully, there was a program of recovery to come back to. Thankfully, there were some people less concerned about making me feel comfortable, and more concerned about actually carrying the message of how they recovered.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:56 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JohnBarleycorn View Post
Although troubling indeed, people do not relapse over and over, and die, in AA or anywhere else, "mostly due to being stubborn and defiant."

People die because they keep drinking. However, many other people live, and usually get better, by stubbornly and defiantly refusing to have any more booze.
??? - Huh?

I believe you misunderstood me, but do have a great day! : D
Old 03-22-2011, 11:05 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I think like with anything in life. It all boils down to HOW the message is delivered.
Some do just preach on and on in a direct, this is what you need to do or you will die kind of way.
But I feel when someone just suggests or guides and above all proves by example what worked FOR THEM it is received alot better.
Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:13 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Aysha View Post
I think like with anything in life. It all boils down to HOW the message is delivered.
exactly.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:19 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I look at it this way...AA (and other forms of recovery) is help. Period. You get out what you put in. If you are still drinking and have that 'not quite ready aura about you' I think that it will be harder to receive.

If I was miserable with my AA group here in town I would expand to another town and try again. If I was not happy with my rehab group I do have options.
People need to find what is workable for them. But I think that people that continually ridcule help in any form may not be ready to succumb to the good life. It does take many attempts to be positive with the thought of quitting...but if you are continually relapsing maybe getting the help to figure out what is the relapse process to lead you back to the bottle. By the time you get back into the bottle its too late again.

Listening to advice and taking advice are two different things.
Either one can be difficult.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:27 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Aysha View Post
I am mindful of what Chapter 7 - "Working With Others" says, but for what it's worth, I prefer "quick and dirty" - no nonsense.

Something like this:

I used AA to recover. It worked for me. If you are interested in recovering, and want to see how I did it with AA, read the "Big Book of AA" , "Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions" (12x12) and a few free pamphlets:
"This is AA" , "FAQ about AA" , "Is AA for you?" , and "Q&A on Sponsorship."
If you cannot afford a Big Book and 12x12, we can work something out, or you can borrow a copy, or read them free online at www.aa.org

If you have any questions or are interested after reading these materials, here is my number - feel free to call me.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:34 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JohnBarleycorn View Post
for what it's worth, I prefer "quick and dirty" - no nonsense.
It takes all kinds. Your way will certainly work with some. Notsomuch with others. But that's fine. It's what makes AA so special, IMO.