- having to plan around liquor store hours of operation
- being unreasonably angry with my family
- being forgetful and thick-headed at work
- spending $500-$700 a month (!) on booze
- taking our the recycling and hiding the bottles
Old 03-21-2011, 01:47 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by perfectlyFlawed View Post
I know exactly what you mean about checking other people's FaceBook and feeling Jealous.
I've done this too! So sad...

I don't miss:

- The constant battle in my head - will I drink tonight or won't I? - and the feeling of disappointment in myself if I do get booze in, and the niggling, uneasy feeling that I'm missing out if I don't.
- The rotation of off-licenses so they won't know how much I buy
- The dilemma of how to sneak the bottles into the house, and how to dispose of them afterwards
- Trying to avoid talking to anyone, sitting in my room by myself, so they won't hear my slurred voice and smell the alcohol
- The depression and anxiety the day after drinking, when every situation in life seems a million times worse than before
- The anger at myself because I KNOW I could achieve so much more with my life if I didn't fritter the days away with this awful habit!

Great thread, thanks for starting it!
Old 03-21-2011, 01:57 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Obviously headaches, the thirst, "trash can breath", the not knowing what was said, the shaky breakfasts with the greasiest food I could stand, the hair of the dog, the remorse, having to leave the restaurant while having lunch with my family to go lay down in the car, the stale smoke smell, worrying if my kids understand what's going on, the "beer trots" lol... just to name a few.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:07 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I won't miss the time and energy I put into my drinking years. When in reality could have had some really productive energetic years. So much lost...so much spent both in time and money.
But that is all behind me (us) now...I prefer to concentrate on the years ahead. It's just so much better sober -all the time.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:12 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I don't miss

Turning up at my parents half-drunk and seeing that look in their eyes.
Having to spread my off-licenses out
Getting refused for booze in supermarkets and pubs (i look a lot younger than I actually am and don't carry id on principle)
Being the most drunk person out of a group of friends and causing trouble
The constant apologies
Blacking out on a wednesday and being 3 hours late for work the next day
The self pity
The drunken phonecalls to the samaritans
Being a complete mess and literally pissing my life away.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:26 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by March7 View Post
I will not miss spending my ENTIRE Sunday alone on my couch with the shades pulled down eating pizza and barely having the coordination to get up to use the bathroom. I will not miss that moment late Sunday afternoon when I FINALLY feel human again only to be disgusted and anxious that I wasted the whole day, knowing I have to work in the morning and knowing I won't be even the tiniest bit productive on Monday.
I used to say almost the exact thing to myself, but I would think"Back on planet earth". Horrible...let's all leave that in the past.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:28 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

The stomach aches and the Pepto.
Hurrying to tuck the kids in at night, so I could have my "me time".
Having to plan which night I could or couldn't, based on what was going on that week...and then being annoyed if I couldn't.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:51 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

This has been really helpful - thanks. I am going to use this thread as a reminder of why sober is better.

Another thing I won't miss - SHARTS!
Old 03-21-2011, 07:03 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I won't miss:

Always running out of cash because I spent it on alcohol.

Running to the store, doing errands so I could buy alcohol.

Hiding alcohol in my house.

Having my husband find the bottles by accident, or because I left them out while drunk.

Not sitting close to my husband and keeping a distance because he has the nose of hunting dog and might smell alcohol.

Occ being a fool in public.

Disappointing my husband and kids. Disappointing myself.

Wondering what the Hell is wrong with me when I have such a good life.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:30 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I won't miss:

-the heartburn/stomach issues/etc....
- planning my hangover/ensuring I have a day off or can call in sick
- the major anxiety/depression after drinking
- sabotoging my workouts with beer and chicken wings
- being a lazy/do the minimum guy at work...so much more focused now!
- only doing activities if there was alcohol available
- reviewing my credit card bill and shaking my head at all of the nights out and $$$ spent on beer
- having to miss half of any sporting event by focusing on maintaining a full beer or going to the bathroom
- being an annoying loud obnoxious drunk (well, hopefully not most of the time)
- floating through life and not really living
- my drinking buddies.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:01 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Wow man - this is a great thread. I can relate to so many of these...I thought of one more:
Waking up at 4am with heart palpitations and this weird humming/buzzing sensation in my body that would go on for around 30 seconds, suddenly stop (dead silence) and then start up again. That was scary.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:14 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Won't miss all the arguing about my denial of being an alcoholic.. The pain I've caused my family. Drunk driving just to get one or two more drinks
Old 03-21-2011, 09:52 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

What I don't miss?

Hating myself. Living a double (sometimes triple) life. Not kissing my kids when they were asleep because I didn't want them to smell the whiskey on breath. Find ATM receipts in my pocket for withdrawls I don't remember making. Felling completely alone in this world. Feeling that I was never "a part of". Seeing others have so much fun and all I could do was think about when I could drink. Calling in sick at 3am to work.

Worried about getting pulled over ALL THE TIME - not only while drinking but the next morning on my way to work. The lying it made me do just to cover up who I really was. The emotional yo-yo that was me. Sleeping with my face turned away from my wife so she couldn't smell my breath. Hiding bottles. The drugs I used to take just to be able to drink like I wanted to. The tremendous anxiety that I was always living with.

And last, and definitely last on my list - the hangovers. The hangovers at the time seemed like the worst part, but now that I have been sober a while the pail in compareison to the misery that alcohol caused me. It was a self imposed prison sentence.

Not today. Hopefully not every again. I wish you the best!!
Old 03-21-2011, 10:15 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

The handcuffs, fingerprinting and mugshot.
Court appearance...ugh...
Old 04-06-2011, 07:01 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Bump - for new comers.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:18 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I won't miss carpet tongue and dehydration. The washing and showering and suspecting I'm sweating out alcohol sweat an hour or two afterwards.

Putting my empty bottles in the regular garbage because if I saw them in the recycling I'd be even more disgusted with myself and I wouldn't want my daughter to see all those bottles. It's not as if she didn't know anyway.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:23 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

The wasted time spent sitting on a bar stool.
The amount of money wasted.
The guilt feeling the next day thinking how much better I can do in my life.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:55 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

Literally running to either my garage or upstairs closet stashes to slam a couple beers when my wife gets up to simply use the restroom.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:57 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I won't miss waking up in the morning wondering if my husband and I are fighting or what nasty things I might have said to him the night before.
I won't miss being so hung over that I can't hear my son yelling for me.
I won't miss wondering if today is the day that my body is finally going to give out.
I won't miss looking in the mirror and seeing red blotches and a puffy face.
I won't miss the battle of good vs evil: to drink or not (I would spend all day everyday stressed out over this one)
I won't miss saying no to going out to dinner with my husband or friends because I have to be drunk before I eat.
I won't miss worrying that someday my son will have to tell people "My mom drank herself to death."
Old 04-06-2011, 08:08 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saphira View Post
I won't miss waking up in the morning wondering if my husband and I are fighting or what nasty things I might have said to him the night before.
I won't miss being so hung over that I can't hear my son yelling for me.
I won't miss wondering if today is the day that my body is finally going to give out.
I won't miss looking in the mirror and seeing red blotches and a puffy face.
I won't miss the battle of good vs evil: to drink or not (I would spend all day everyday stressed out over this one)
I won't miss saying no to going out to dinner with my husband or friends because I have to be drunk before I eat.
I won't miss worrying that someday my son will have to tell people "My mom drank herself to death."
I agree with every single one of these.