Notices

Lies I have been telling myself

Old 03-20-2011, 01:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lies I have been telling myself

LIE: I can drink socially because I have done it before.
TRUTH: there have been several instances where in a professional situation I have been able to have a couple drinks and "call it a night" but I always go back up to my room and continue drinking. Also there have been many MORE instances where I end up the last one out, dying the next day at the 8am meeting.

LIE: being able to drink socially is a necessary part of being a successful businessperson
TRUTH: No. It's not. I would most likely be more successful without it. I don't play golf. That doesn't appear to hurt me and the same argument could be made for golf.

LIE: drinking is fun!
TRUTH: drinking stopped being "fun" a LONG time ago. I have just been too stubborn to admit it.

Those are just a few off the top of my head- anyone else have lies they have told themselves? Never mind the lies I have told others in regards to drinking. That's a whole new thread ugh.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Lie: I would be happy if I could just manage to drink like a normal person and stop after the second or third one.

Truth: I never wanted to just have two or three, that was when the frustration of not having enough was still very apparent. I always wanted to get severely hammered and getting cut off would infuriate me and make me very depressed.

I was just trying to think of one relevant to people I hear that say they are jealous of how people can drink a few and stop. I never understood that, I dont know about others but just a few drink never made me feel good, one or two dozen did.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

LIE: I'll just have a glass of wine with dinner....

TRUTH: there isn't enough wine in the world for me....
Old 03-20-2011, 01:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Moment of Conception

Lie: i felt on top of the world when i drank!

Truth: It wasn't even remotely real, i was 'not' on top of the world... but just in my own 'little one'.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Lie: I can stop drinking for extended periods of time without suffering withdrawal, so I am not an alcoholic.

Truth: Being able to stop whenever I want didn't change the fact that once I had a drink, it was a very short stumble back to blackout binge drinking. And probably wouldn't have been much longer before I'd be back to drinking every day.

Lie: If I have and follow rules about my drinking (only one, never two days in a row, never when I feel stressed out and think I 'need' one, etc) I won't get out of control.

Truth: Rules are made to be broken.

Lie: If my family doesn't think I have a problem, I don't have a problem.

Truth: For real, if *I* know I have a problem, why does it matter what my family thinks?

Lie: I can't celebrate without alcohol.

Truth: What good is celebration you can't remember?

I could probably go on forever, but thank you so much for this thread. It's exactly what I needed today, when I'm feeling really down about never drinking again.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Lie: I'm more fun, intelligent, and attractive when I drink.

Truth: I'm obnoxious, stupid, and far from attractive when I'm stumbling out the door.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Lie: I'll stop drinking by 9:00 and then I'll feel fine at work tomorrow...

Truth: I'll fall in bed at 3:00 am when I've managed to drink every drop of alcohol in the house and stumble into work hiding in my corner for a few hours until the alcohol fog lifts, and spend the rest of the day feeling like hell...
Old 03-20-2011, 04:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ah, but you are telling yourself the truth now so that's a step in the right direction!
We might be able to fool others but we can't fool ourselves. Good luck!
Old 03-20-2011, 04:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hehe, back when that TV show called "Lost" was on, I really enjoyed it. With alcohol, I could just about watch every episode 3-4 times as if it were a new episode as I couldn't remember a darn thing when I watched it the night before ;-)
Old 03-20-2011, 07:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

LOVE reading everyone's responses!

Lie: This time will be different - I won't get out of control.
Reality: Why quit when the bottle isn't empty?

Lie: I won't be happy if I can't drink. I'll be bored and have nothing to reward myself any more.
Reality: My reward turned out to be hangovers, anxiety and depression. My addiction squelched my soul - no happiness there......
Old 03-20-2011, 07:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BurningChrome View Post
With alcohol, I could just about watch every episode 3-4 times as if it were a new episode as I couldn't remember a darn thing when I watched it the night before ;-)
LOL That's what I say...if it weren't for flashbacks I'd have no memory at all.

Lie: We're good friends...we all go out drink and have fun.
Truth: Insisting you have 'just one more' when you say 'that's it'.
And where are they when you need them...??
Old 03-20-2011, 08:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Lie: Everyone else was just as drunk as I was last night.
Truth: No one else was as drunk as I was last night. And they also remember last night.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yep. ALL of these!!! I have told myself a version of each and every one of these lies over the years. I like to think of myself as an honest, trustworthy person. I believe the people around me feel like I am. Now it is time to stop lying to myself so I can learn and grow as a sober person.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Not waving, but drowning

Originally Posted by BurningChrome View Post
Hehe, back when that TV show called "Lost" was on, I really enjoyed it. With alcohol, I could just about watch every episode 3-4 times as if it were a new episode as I couldn't remember a darn thing when I watched it the night before ;-)
Oh no! I know exactly what you mean. How sad that I could never remember the thread of shows that had ongoing plot lines....
Old 03-20-2011, 09:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I love reading these responses!

LIE: Everyone says I drink too much because they hate me.
TRUTH: Everyone says I drink too much because I drink too much.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Lie: I drink so that I can cope with life.

Truth: drinking makes it impossible to cope.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:51 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
ste
unlearning

Originally Posted by Sara1956 View Post
Ah, but you are telling yourself the truth now so that's a step in the right direction!
We might be able to fool others but we can't fool ourselves. Good luck!
I beg to differ, I can fool myself.

Lie: I can do things drunk, that many can't do sober.

Truth: They could if they really wanted to, and I would do them better, and more easily if I was sober.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:01 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

My whole drinking career was founded on one major lie. That fun, normal people drink and lame, dull people don't drink. I would roll my eyes at any non-drinker imagining how booooooring their lives must be.

It honestly kept me drunk.

I even remember reading here and I think it was Carol talking about how she's had lots of celebrations with her AA friends where alcohol wasn't present. Like Christmas celebrations/parties etc. The very thought made me want to cry. What a life, I thought. Sitting around drinking soda.

But now that I'm free I see that was just alcohol talking. It's not true! It's not true that life is dull without alcohol!
Old 03-21-2011, 05:10 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
is really trying!

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for this thread!! It is EXACTLY what I needed to read today when I am wavering about not having a 'birthday drink' today (or ever again).

The best birthday present I can receive is continued sobriety, and only I can gift it to me, today & every day.

You are all amazing ,
Old 03-21-2011, 05:18 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I am sitting here on Monday morning reading all of these posts and it makes me smile and feel so great that I'm sober (50 days today!). I've told myself everyone of these lies and suffered from the guilt because I knew what the real truth was. Thanks March for starting this thread.