Notices

Things I would never do while actively drinking

Old 03-20-2011, 03:44 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thanks fandy...I had patio furnikture and plants. Its a miracle the plants survived! The grass was about a foot bhigh between the flagstones...let alone the lawn. I would only go on the patio to smoke and drink after dark so the neighbolrs couldn't see.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:23 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

today I hauled about 50 large round river rocks to my car and then from the car, carried them to the rear side of the house (I have an end-unit townhouse). I got enough exercise to feel it in my arms....but I was NOT huffing and puffing like i had run a marathon....

i also spent a good 2 hours with my mother and we "talked" about the garden and flowers....she wants to see the flowers and doesn't relate that it is too early in the season, but she sure perked up at the mention of flowers and planting. My mother always had beautiful gardens all around the big two family house i grew up in. (we still pay to keep them going and look nice, just the stuff that comes up every year).

my mother suffers from advancing alzheimer's and is in a nursing home, she is going downhill rapidly, (she's 91+) but i will still try to get her over to the house if she is strong enough for a couple of hours once the weather gets nice.....in the old days she would spend HOURS "playing" in my gardens...i would buy the flowers and she would plant them "the right way".

I can't think of a better tribute to her than to keep my house gardens and back deck looking well tended with lots of flowers. (and Jersey tomatoes in pots).
Old 03-21-2011, 02:43 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Abnormally normal

Fandy, I'm telling you...I can see you out there on your deck, sipping on a cup of coffee surrounded by your garden! The more you describe it, the more vivid the mental pics get! Lol...

But on a more serious note...
your post brought tears to my eyes.
I'm sorry for the state your mom is in. I'll keep you both in my thoughts and prayers.
What an awesome way to pay tribute to your mother.
And 91 yrs old?! Wow...
Now that's a life lived.

Again, great post...
For a while now, I've been feeling somewhat, in limbo.
Just going through the motions.
But the idea of looking foward to little projects that I'm going to enjoy and finish, for myself, puts a more permanent mental stamp on my sobriety.

I'd love to see pictures of your deck when your done.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:57 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by artsoul View Post
So many mornings lost to this disease......
NO KIDDING!! One of my mantras is- I never want to miss another sunrise.
I orange, pink and teal blue colors inspire and also remind me that I have such a huge jump on my day.

Yay for mornings!
Old 03-21-2011, 04:14 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

one of the things I am looking most forward to is grilling a nice steak for dinner and eating outside in the evening...(or just cooking without messing up the kitchen and making it smell like steak for 3 days).

the next 3 days are cold and rainy here but i am getting geared up for the new spring season...i will enjoy bringing in the new pots, dirt and mulch...(.my garden guy is great, he is actually someone with a degree, but currently out of work, so he does this stuff on the side).

i have hope about making my sobriety permanent and this helps tremendously.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:41 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm getting a little over excited I think As i'm not working right now, I am house cleaning - however, combined with not working, throw in not drinking (24 days!) and not smoking (2 months) and I have become a whirling dervish. This morning I have already sorted out three boxfuls of old books and videos, tidied three cupboards changed sheets, done a washing load and out another on, and am half way round the kitchen with sprays and cloths!

My family daren't come home at times lately
Old 03-21-2011, 07:19 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

But it is a really good feeling to have a clean house and clear out the clutter.

(if you are bored, come to my house~ i have lots of messy drawers)!