i feel like going to my old 'local'---not to drink

Old 03-20-2011, 08:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

i feel like going to my old 'local'---not to drink

but just to see what its like [sober] - ive not been in atleast 3 months now

what would you recommend.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I used to go down to the Mexican resturaunt on Sundays to get beer I couldn't get at stores. I became a regular customer on Sundays, my wife loves the food but in the end she hated to go because she knew my "only one" would end up 6 or 10, I've made quite a few drinking friends there.

I havnt been back since sober, we still go to Mexican resturaunts just different ones.

personally I would recommend not going to a place that you went just to drink, but maybe you have other reasons you went, I just don't need that sort of temptation in my life.

I'm only 28 days sober though, its to early for me to be in that situation, I was 14 days sober once and at a bar in a resturaunt I seen "good times" and joined in before the night was over.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I wouldn't. What would be the point?

I'm not quite buying that it's "idle curiosity"--it sounds to me like you are dancing close to the edge just for the sake of dancing close to the edge.

Suppose it looks like people are having lots of "fun"--might that start playing on your mind?

I think the best advice is to avoid drinking places and occasions unless you have a VERY good reason for being there.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

hmmmm................ I think only you know if you're solid enough in your recovery. Still, those nasty urges can pop up on any of us.

I didn't have a "regular spot" (drank mostly alone), but I imagine there would be all kinds of memories that would come up...... I've heard some people say that they were fine when they were in a precarious situation, but ended up drinking a week or two later.

I guess my question is: how often do you get cravings now? What are you going there for? What do you intend to do while you're there?

Just some things to think about...............
Old 03-20-2011, 08:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wouldn't do that either.

I really don't get it.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I did. I was 58 days sober. I could not even get in the door. It was summer time, the door was open.

The closer I got to the doorway the more it STANK. The smell was awful. The stale beer, the stale cigarette smoke, the stale booze, the unwashed bodies, it was HORRIBLE!!

To this day, almost 30 years later, I cannot walk into a Bar Bar the smell is just too over powering.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 03-20-2011, 10:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

well i didnt go-this time - i decided it was too much for me to risk - this time - thanks again to everyone @ fwiw i had a lie down, im doing alot of that so it seems. maybes is becaus im not well or maybes idk but oft times i do find that a lie down is just what the doctor ordered.

going for a lie down ha-i must be old[at 32 2]

i live in a small town see, not fortunate enough to have lots of places to goto on a sunday so that was part of my motivation to go - it seemed like 'something to do' when i was tired of being at home tv and the internet.

seems like taking a nap and a lie down gave me new perspective as it happened. although i take on board all of your remarks-well avoiding pubs forever seems a bit unreasonable. never drink again sure but never step foot in a pub that seems a little wacky. surely you folks test the water or you all think this is a 'danger kicks' thing - might be nice to show off the new me in public dontcha think a new sober focuses me instead of the mess i was before.

like i say its a small town-who knows i could even 'do a bill' and convert other drunks in there blegh
Old 03-20-2011, 10:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

From what I understand, Pubs are an important part of the UK's social culture, even more so than in the US...

I avoid bars, but I have gone as part of a group of real friends... non alkie friends... I am OK with it now and then, but I'd rather DO something with them, and I am fortunate, I can.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I love the smell of a bar but I don't go because I'm not going to drink. I'm guessing you want to test yourself but why when you don't want to drink in the first place. If I was you, I would find a new place to hang out.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

well actionpack im going to watch coronation street now [uk soap] yeagh (im a bloke also) so yeagh off to watch tv now.

rock on sr kev thanks [yet again] and ty anna
Old 03-20-2011, 11:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm glad you didn't go like mark I have been a couple times as part of a group of people who are not alkies....it has been fine for me...but if I wasn't 100% solid I wouldn't go.

The other day I was going to go to the liquor store to pick up some non-alcoholic drink mix I like...but I wasn't feeling well...terarible headache...so I decided not to go. I would only go if I felt 150%
Old 03-20-2011, 12:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have no problem going to bars, pubs, or even places and events where drinking is the main focus, as long as it's not my focus. If I have a reason to go other than drinking I can weather it. If there is no purpose for me to be there then I'm just wasting my time going. If you are just going to the bar to go to the bar, then I don't thing it's a good idea. I personally don't want to hang around a bunch of drinkers if that is my only reason for going.

So let me rephrase a saying I hear from many AAer's. If you are going to the barbershop to buy hairgel or aftershave, or you are going for a hotshave, good, but if you are just hanging out there you have a good chance of getting a haircut.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I did it after longer in sobriety and it is a really, really bad idea indeed...didn't drink but wow it doesn't take long for the old behaviour to show again!
Old 03-20-2011, 01:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kevinlednylon View Post
but just to see what its like [sober] - ive not been in atleast 3 months now

what would you recommend.
If you want to see if your drinking cues are still active, hop on YouTube and pull up a video review of your favorite drink of all time.

For my part, I can go to eat in places that serve alcohol or dine with people who are drinking wine or beer without any problem, but watching YouTube video reviews of my personal favorite single malt scotch tend to make the neurons light up.

YMMV
Old 03-20-2011, 01:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Kevin

Pubs are an important part of Australian social life too...but it's still been years since I've been in one.

What will it be like? it will the same as always...and unless you're very sure that you're not the same as always, you're opening yourself to trouble in my opinion.

Do you think you've done enough work to change yourself Kevin? Do you think you can handle any situation involving alcohol yet?

If you want to meet people, there's something you've been putting off for a while now....

D