Notices

alone, hopeless, and terrified.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:39 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Just wanted to add something:

I found that taking things "one day at a time" helps keep me from being overwhelmed. I use it for everything, not just sobriety.

We can only do so much in a day, and when I have a big problem like the one you're describing, I break it down into manageable parts - like making a phone call..... and maybe that's all I do for that day. It helps me feel like I'm moving ahead and I'm not trying to do it all in one day.......

Everyone here is cheering you on - you can get through this......something good is going to come from it, I just have a feeling.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:07 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
RIP Maria

Hey Jake:

There is also a show out there on HBO I was trying to think of to give you a hint on Guido! It's the Soprano's!

Have a nice day / evening! Which ever you are on!!!!!!!!! It's 82 degrees here and warming up fast. My Italian husband is outside sweating bullets. Thank goodness for running water and soap!! He'll need it!

TOD
Old 03-20-2011, 03:06 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I would just like to thank everyone again for the huge support you all expressed. It is a big relief to know that I can come here to communicate my thoughts when I need to, and hear feedback from people that are genuinely kind. I wish all of you continued success on your path of recovery and hope everyone here is blessed with peace and joy today.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:05 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

The U.S. Secret Service use to fall under the Department of Treasury (now they are under Homeland Security), but they still investigate federal financial crimes. The FBI deals more with homicides, kidnappings, etc. You should contact the Secret Service in the Orlando Field Office and tell the "on call agent" your story. The Secret Service works with IRS Federal Agents for these exact type of crimes. They love nothing better than catching scumbags like this guy. I'm sure he has done it to other people and is currently looking for more victims to scam.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:29 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I think you should pursue it with the IRS, FBI or states attorney.
I once got into a tangled web with people who I thought were my friends. We invested in a company together and they ended up 'smoothing' money around and laundering with out of country money that they weren't paying taxes on at my expenses. All the accounts had my name on it and I was the only one allowed to sign checks. They would ask for blank (signed) checks to pay bills and ended up writing checks back to themselves.
I watched the account daily and once I saw they made a deposit I took my initial investment money and ran. They threatened me terribly with imbezzlement, the law, laywers and I feared I'd be doing life in the clinker. As luck would have it (or call it fate) I had the FBI knocking on my door and they wanted to ask questions. Since I was cooperating I didn't have to go to the grand jury (yikes!) and I still don't know what happened to the 'friends'. I don't care.
But in your case, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Keep calling, keep complaining...make them listen and make them suggest what you SHOULD do. There HAS to be something you can do. That Madoff guy comes to mind. Maybe you'll realize you weren't the only victim. If he did it once, he either did it (or) will do it again. There is no perfect crime.
Check those bank records. Investigate who he actually spoke with at the bank -find witness's. Did you have emails? Save them. Receipts from sending him the money?
Go to the IRS and sit down and talk with them. Tell them what happened.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:31 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

wow, that is really good information to know. thank you soberween, I know little about the secret service, but if I had to guess I would have never thought they would be people to contact. Just out of curiosity do you know of a story somewhat like mine where they pursued someone?