Notices

1st AA meeting

Old 03-19-2011, 01:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Post 1st AA meeting

I went to my first AA meeting (ever) today. I had tried to go last week, to a different one, but chickened out before I walked in. Since then I've been in an outpatient evening program 3 days a week, and I felt much more empowered to actually walk in. I also decided that a women's meeting would likely make me more comfortable.

So my first impression was that there were a LOT of cars in the parking lot. more than I expected. And the Alano club at which the meeting was held was a lot more... how can I say it... OBVIOUS than I expected. As in, there was a big sign (which was very helpful to me) . So I walked in, there were like 3 or 4 different rooms and a snack bar. I saw a lady standing there, I must have looked confused and she asked what I was looking for, I said AA (I knew there was an Al-Anon meeting at the same time). So then she realized I was NEW NEW and let me know there were a couple of different AA meetings (different types - I didn't really know the difference between 12 step, discussion, reflections, etc.). But she told me to sit at a table, told me to tell others it was my first time, got me a meeting schedule... and everyone was really nice.

So I was feeling ok and feeling pretty anonymous, and then my DEPARTMENT HEAD (big boss at work) walked in. I don't think she saw me, so I thought about leaving, but I knew I needed to focus on my recovery, she's there for the same reason as me, blah blah blah... and plus I'm trying to avoid the denial/secret/uncertainty cycle that has been going on. So I even told the group leader I was new and they gave me a chip and everything, and the ladies at my table were really helpful.

Anyway, I wanted to share my story because I'm new, I know others here are new, and EVEN IF YOUR BOSS (or, well, your boss's boss) WALKS IN it's worth it to go to AA, I think. I still don't know how it'll go, but I do know I'm sober on a Saturday afternoon for the first time in months and I don't feel that weird. And it didn't hurt me to go.

The big repeat message of the day? KEEP COMING BACK.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing this experience.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad it worked out for you.
Old 03-19-2011, 02:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by theatredork View Post

So I was feeling ok and feeling pretty anonymous, and then my DEPARTMENT HEAD (big boss at work) walked in.
Thanks for that...my big fear was that one of my staff would be there. But then I realised that it would just mean we were both sensible enough to be seeking help (and it hasn't happened yet).
Old 03-19-2011, 02:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

At my first one, someone I knew from my last job was there too. She came right over and spoke to me sayingshe wanted to let me know she was there so I would feel ok about it, that I was in exactly the right place and that it would all be fine! And it was, and it still is!
Old 03-19-2011, 03:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

TD,

Thanks for sharing that - you made my day. Hearing stories like yours really lifts my spirits. Absolutely keep coming back. One note - don't forget that you need to respect your boss' anonymity as much as she needs to respect yours.