Notices

Sweets???

Old 03-18-2011, 09:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sweets???

Today is my one month anniversity!!! So far so good.

I have to ask with no alcohol for 4 weeks, why am I putting on weight? I thought I would drop a few pounds! Wine has a lot of calories in it. I know I am not eating more than I was before I quit drinking. I have noticed however that I am craving sweets more. Even though I had sweets before I quit too. Is that typical in early recovery.

What do you all think?
Nikkipoo
Old 03-18-2011, 09:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've probably had more chocolate in the past 25 days then all of last year so I'd say you are right about sweets.

I just love Twix bars,
Old 03-18-2011, 09:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I LOVE sweets. I am early in recovery AGAIN.

I eat tons of chocolate and ice cream but I exercise and haven't gained, weight, have actually lost weight.

My faves are nestle ice cream cones and mini heath bars. And gummy life savers.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

As you see it's pretty common...I certainly rediscovered my sweet tooth....
most of us recognize, sooner or later, that's it's not perhaps the best diet and move on from it tho

congratulations on your month
D

Last edited by Dee74; 03-18-2011 at 10:25 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh and forgot to say CONGRATS on a month with out booze!!!
Old 03-18-2011, 09:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on one month!!

As someone who struggles with, erm, what I'll call "generalized addiction" (I'm sure someone around here has a better term), I find that sweets are just as addictive as anything else. I have been addicted to sugar for years and years - it's probably my first substance addiction.

Is it serious? Probably not.

Will I ever stop eating sugar entirely? Um, heck no! (though I have and plan to continue reducing my intake)

Will I die or lose my job or blow off family/friends or crash a car from eating too many Twix bars? Certainly not. But the same is true for cigarettes (aside from the dying part, cigarettes will do that)... and yet nobody questions their addictive nature. I recommend that, having now endured the first "hard part" that you evaluate your commitment to being sober. If you are confident in the support you have and your resolve is strong, I suggest considering conquering sugar addiction as your next accomplishment.

Try asking yourself these questions:

*When do I eat sugar?
For me, the cravings are most intense when I am longing for pot or a drink.

* Why do I eat sugar?
I eat it because I am used to it; it's habitual. It makes me feel good, especially when I'm stressed. It reminds me of childhood and innocence. I have gone through phases of not eating sugar, but always come back to it when something stresses me out OR I feel really good, as a reward. However, lately I have been considering other rewards that I will feel good about afterwards, like playing tennis or finding a gourmet recipe and (at least trying) to cook it.

*What triggers the desire to eat sugar?
For myself, it comes strongest in those moments of stress. Recognizing that the urge to grab a candy bar is similar to the urge to grab a drink may help you translate the lessons you have learned while becoming sober.

*What replacements are there for sugar?
I love me an over-dressed salad with way too much olive oil and garlic. I know not everyone is so lucky to have such cravings, but I bet there is some sort of comfort food which, at first, may not help your weight but will at least help you reduce the cravings for it... in the same way that your sugar consumption may not be great for you, but it's sure helpful in reducing those urges to drink/do drugs initially!

*Am I hungry when I eat sugar?
If I'm not hungry, and I crave sugar, I've been learning to recognize that I am going to it for the same "immediate comfort" offered by alcohol and drugs.

From my experience, sugar is a much better "crutch" for getting through tough urges than say someone who trades vicodin for heroin or excessive cigarette smoking for alcohol-related stress. However, once you feel strongly about your resolution to remain sober and the stress has relaxed a bit, you may want to consider sugar as a new addiction to overcome. There are many means of support for this - cooking shows, meditation practices, vegan/vegetarianism, and exercise are a few among the many. Get creative!

Oh, and don't get me wrong - I'm totally not recommending quitting sugar completely, in the same way that one quits drinking/drugs!! Unless, of course, this seems wisest to you. However, I recommend thinking about it in the same way, which may help you come to a better balance with your consumption. It doesn't have to be a bad thing, just another challenge and, like quitting any addiction, you can be comforted by the thought that you are doing something healthy for your future and independence from ALL habitual urges.

Wish you best of luck!
Old 03-18-2011, 09:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Big Congratulations to you Nikkipoo! One month is fabulous ! Guess our bodies are getting adjusted. I drank so much wine I just knew I'd be practically invisible when I stopped. lol All those empty calories gone. Nope, I think we crave the sugar we used to get from the wine. IDK Maybe try some walking, or exercise to burn off the sweets. Keep up the good work!
Old 03-18-2011, 10:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
On my way....

Congrats on the month!! Not sure about the sweet tooth, except I had a friend in recovery and he always told me about how he craved sugar....my assumption was that alcohol is full of carbs and maybe that is why? I honestly don't know.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yep wine is chock full of sugar and I never, ever eat sweets except when
I am sober. I find eating sweets will quell my cravings (which haven't been bad at all this time - and I don't know why, but hey it's ok!)

I have lost a little weight and a lot of bloat. While the pounds haven't come
off how I envisioned, I don't look all lumpy and puffy anymore, so I am happy about that. I think my metabolism is still adjusting though and I know I need to up my exercise.

I'll have 60 days tomorrow and all and all I'm really pleased with both my appearance and how I feel.

Want to congratulate you on your 30 days Nikkipoo. That is awesome.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Nikki, Congratulations on your first month!!!
When I was drinking, I consumed no sugar at all. I just didn't have a taste for it. I have consumed more sugar in the past month than I have in the past five years put together, without exaggeration. I'm at about 37 days now. Gaining weight for sure!

As several people have suggested...EXERCISE! Definitely on my "to do" list. I have also put together a menu plan with healthy stuff and buying groceries today.

You are definitely not alone!
Old 03-19-2011, 07:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
6/20/08

A HUGE congrats on your sober time!

I think most people think if they quit drinking they're gonna lose weight. In my case (and it looks like others on this thread), that doesn't always happen.

The sugar monster got me too in early sobriety. That's okay. I'd rather wrestle a sugar monster than a beer bottle.

Welcome to SR, btw!
Old 03-19-2011, 08:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yep wine is chock full of sugar and I never, ever eat sweets except when
I am sober. I find eating sweets will quell my cravings
Me too! I am not a sweet eater at all. But since I quit drinking wine, I have to keep a very secret stash of really good salted dark chocolate. I dig it out every night during my normal "happy hour". My family knows they might lose a finger if they dip into my little box of chocolates.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you so much! And congrats on your 60!
Old 03-21-2011, 08:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

for all of you who responded Thank You so much. I havent been online since I posted this Friday night.
I do exercise but not as much as I need too. In addition to the drinking, I have been recovering from a total knee replacement. Because of your comments, I need to step back and really look at my diet, especially the sugars and simple carbs. It's going to hard to plan a dinner now as my spouse is a meat and potatoes/rice/noodles kind of guy. Portion control is also key. I have proven with my drinking that I have a hard time denying myself.
What I don't have is a good Vitamin B complex. I take a multi and it has Vitamin B6 (5mg) 250% of the daily recommended amount, but that's all of the B's that the tablet has. I am not sure if this is the vitamin that is depleted when you are an alcoholic or not. Can anybody recommend one? Can you take too much Vitamin B?
Old 03-21-2011, 08:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hugger, looks like we are close together in our recovery battle with you being just a week ahead of me. Do you mind sharing part of your menu plan?
Old 03-21-2011, 08:48 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I have not had any craving for sweets in the beginning. I was in rehab last April.

However, in the last two months, for some reason, I must have an ice cream cone. I hide them in the freezer and NO BODY is allowed to touch them.

Recently though, at work, I've been eating blueberries or mangos or a banana instead.

I've been eating so many blueberries , I'm turning blue.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:56 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I have my meals planned out including snacks. I bought lots of fruits and fruit juices to help with the sweets cravings. In general, low fat dairy, some lean meats and tons of fruits and veggies.

Here's what I'm preparing for dinner tonight. Pork loin roast in the crock-pot. Broccoli, cauliflower and carrots in a low fat cheese sauce. and mashed potatoes and gravy. Mr. Hugs will eat a large portion of roast and potatoes and a small small portion of veggies. I will eat a small portion of roast a very large portion of veggies and no potatoes.

Basically, my main course is his side dish.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:06 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

congrats on 30 days!

In 4 months sober and 3 doctor check-ups, I gained 8 pounds right away, then lost 16. It really began coming off after about 2.5 months.

congrats again!!!
Zube
Old 03-24-2011, 08:30 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Kiki,I love blueberries and all other berries too. It's funny that most of the red wines I liked had hints of various berries in them
Old 03-24-2011, 08:35 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Oh man, I started killing the sweets when I stopped drinking. I had always gravitated toward saltier foods, including snacks like chips and pretzels. But once I gave up the booze, I started eating candy bars, ice cream, cookies...Totally out of the norm for me. Good thing I got a bike (since I lost my license)...riding a few miles every day certainly helps when you eat like a dumpster!