Notices

Sweets???

Old 03-24-2011, 08:40 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hugger,
Thanks for sharing. I love to cook, but I am not much of a plan in advance kind of person. I didnt decide on last nights dinner until 5 PM.
My husband is a meat / potatoes guy too. I love veggies and enjoy fresh fruit. But I am just not in the habit of grabbing a banana or an apple. I love pork tenderloin too. Last night I prepared a stir fry w lean beef and veggies and stir fried another pan full of various other veggies along with brown rice. My husband didnt touch the veggie dish. Instead, he toasted 4 pieces of white bread and buttered them to go along with the beef stir fry. I too ate more veggies than the meat. I think I could easily go vegetarian and keep dairy in my diet. You have given me some ideas as to changing my diet. Thanks.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:45 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Zube, I hope I can say that in another 3 months! Congrats on your 4 months. That is huge! Tomorrow is 5 weeks for me and my 3rd doctor appt. I think he will be pleased and continue with the meds he's prescribed. Haven't been to AA yet. Tonight I think I will try a ladies group that is closed, but I'm really nervous about going at all.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:03 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Nikki, I was a vegetarian for many years. I kept dairy and eggs in my diet. Some of my veggie dishes were appreciated even by my meat loving friends. I'm moving back towards a veggie diet now but am keeping fish on the menu this time. I'll PM you some of my favorite recipes if you like.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:14 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

My drinking pattern was a bottle and a half to two bottles of red wine every night between 9:00 and midnight. During my drinking years I had no interest in sugar at all. For the first few weeks after quitting drinking I was pounding back licorice (the real black stuff, not those red twizzly things with the synthetic flavour that some people wrongly call 'licorice') like it was life saving medicine. Anyway, as I've settled into a more relaxed sobriety I found the sugar cravings are no longer there.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:25 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nikkipoo View Post
Kiki,I love blueberries and all other berries too. It's funny that most of the red wines I liked had hints of various berries in them
Old 03-24-2011, 09:26 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JoeStrummer View Post
My drinking pattern was a bottle and a half to two bottles of red wine every night between 9:00 and midnight. During my drinking years I had no interest in sugar at all. For the first few weeks after quitting drinking I was pounding back licorice (the real black stuff, not those red twizzly things with the synthetic flavour that some people wrongly call 'licorice') like it was life saving medicine. Anyway, as I've settled into a more relaxed sobriety I found the sugar cravings are no longer there.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:41 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

With my doctors permission ...I followed an eating plan
for hypoglycemia....for about 6 months in early sobreity.

..I found it in "Under The Influence:..by Milam & Ketcham

I consider this is why my cravings ..mood swings and general
health improved rather quickly.

Well done on your 30 days
Old 03-24-2011, 04:19 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thanks Hugger! I would love that.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:42 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Some alcohol has lots of empty (worthless, as opposed to high-fiber) carbs in it, and some (such as vodka) has NO carbs, but TONS of calories from sugar alcohols. All alcohol is pretty high in calories. When we cut it out, it's normal to crave more sugars than before ... we used to get our "fix" from the alcohol. Fruit is a GREAT choice! I would be a little cautious of fruit juices, as they are also high in sugar and have most of the fiber (which provides satiety) removed. If you have a choice between an orange or a glass of orange juice, go for the orange and a big glass of ice water.

(weight loss management is my career)

BTW, for those of you who I haven't met, I am on day 17.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:54 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nikkipoo View Post
Hugger,
Thanks for sharing. I love to cook, but I am not much of a plan in advance kind of person. I didnt decide on last nights dinner until 5 PM.

I too ate more veggies than the meat. I think I could easily go vegetarian and keep dairy in my diet. You have given me some ideas as to changing my diet. Thanks.

Nikki, sounds like you're headed in the right direction

How's that recovery from the knee replacement going ? i had one in late Nov. and it's not the easiest thing in the world !?! (((understatement)))

I don't plan meals and always just eat a ton of food. For me, the trick to it all is to nix any and all so called "food" that list sugar, sucrose, corn syrup, etc. etc as an ingredient. Keep plenty ( another understatement) PLENTY of fruit around .......<<<this usually requires getting to the market more often>>

Fruit has vitamins, minerals, and the best natural ; ---easily digestible-- carbs in the world. So do your veggies; ....brown rice is GREAT !
...along with just about anything that grows out the ground !?!

Just finally recognizing most things sold in a bag/box/bottle/ wrapper are loaded (to some extent) with cheap carb "extenders" ---ie. "sugar" ....void of any nutrients, vitamins (some folks believe that crap actually"leaches" nutrients from our bodies !!! )

Anyway, like with alcohol, ....I guess most of us may have to learn for ourselves,
...hopefully, not the hard way.

Congrats on your sober time; !!!!!!!!!!! ...without that, whatever I ended up putting in my body didn't really matter a whole lot as I slugged down more and more sugar based toxic liquids (alcohol)
Old 03-27-2011, 06:57 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PeanutButterCup View Post
Some alcohol has lots of empty (worthless, as opposed to high-fiber) carbs in it, and some (such as vodka) has NO carbs, but TONS of calories from sugar alcohols. All alcohol is pretty high in calories. When we cut it out, it's normal to crave more sugars than before ... we used to get our "fix" from the alcohol. Fruit is a GREAT choice! I would be a little cautious of fruit juices, as they are also high in sugar and have most of the fiber (which provides satiety) removed. If you have a choice between an orange or a glass of orange juice, go for the orange and a big glass of ice water.

(weight loss management is my career)

BTW, for those of you who I haven't met, I am on day 17.

^^ PBC ^^ This is right on the money !
btw, ...congrats on your 17 days PBC !!!!!!!