Notices

Recovery and (lack of) spirituality

Old 03-18-2011, 07:13 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by Sugah
What I do get from my HP is the knowledge that I have a Purpose (yes, with a capital P), and if I didn't, if we all didn't, life really wouldn't be worth much (and that's not a very comforting thought),...
I see things along the same lines. IMO 'Purpose' gives my life meaning. And the Purpose is to be fully alive in the joys and sorrows of life...and I do all this as a nonbeliever.

Originally Posted by elfgirl
I'm not knocking spirituality, and I (truly) think it is wonderful that so many people have that connection. In many ways I want to believe, I want to have faith that there's something more to all this-- but I don't. I just don't any more.
You seem really clear to me. As there is absolutely nothing wrong to feel that way....nothing wrong at all.

As a non-theist I found that it is possible to have a connection to the wonder, the marvel, the awe of being the same stuff that is the universe. Sure there are greater energy sources out there than me, but everything, on a practical level, is at its essence the same: particles and waves. I can draw great strength and comfort in that.

I don't know what the difficulty is with allowing one person in recovery to have a system of beliefs or lack there of, from another person in recovery. I feel I can support someone in their recovery without having to challenge or convert or I don't know what them to my way of seeing the universe. I would think addiction recovery is challenging enough without bringing up God, no God, somewere in between into the mix.

Then I'm brought back to reality, The world with its strife, conflicts, religious wars, political wars, ethnic cleansing...on and on...why would recovery be any different with the different recovery ideologies and whatnot.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:03 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Originally Posted by Murray4x5 View Post
I hope we both, by whatever path works, remain sober for the rest of our lives.
Well said Murray and we can help each other here.

One of the many GREAT things about SR.

Later!

Kjell~