Notices

2nd day, can I do this?

Old 03-16-2011, 06:51 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
On my way....

I made it back from my puppy's class! I'm here and I've almost made it past the worst of my "witching hours"....normally if I don't start drinking by 10/11 I consider it "too late" because I wouldn't have enough time to get a good enough buzz.

Thanks everyone for all your kind words and advice.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:06 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi Rachel and welcome!

My dogs have been a big help to me in recovery

When I was trying to get sober I hated the people who said "if I can do it so can you" now I'm one of them you can do it!
Old 03-16-2011, 07:28 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
On my way....

I'm hanging on to your every word for dear life.....because it is my life in danger. I want to be like you....it's just hard to envision it right now.

My dogs are my kids, especially **my** dog, the Golden Retriever.....she's gotten so many hugs and tears cried on her today.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:32 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Welcome from Day 5. Take one day at a time honey It's all about you. If you want it hard enough it can happen. This is where I come when my craving calls. It reminds me that I can do it. So, welcome and good luck! PS-Take care of that pup! Mine is 5 months old today.....German Shepherd. Pups always give unconditional love! ....and lots of giggles
Old 03-16-2011, 08:39 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
On my way....

I love dogs, and German Shepherds are so beautiful....my pup is one month behind yours.

Which is another good reason to stay sober, so I can spend more quality time with her.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:39 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Welcome, SR has helped me get 5 months of sobriety. Another great book: Moments of Clarity by Christopher Kennedy Lawson.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:05 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Dah

Rachel-
I can relate completely to the feeling of just being sick of it all. Sick of waking up hungover and managing the day, sick of doing things I would regret the next day. When I was young I was a "life of the party" type drunk, but over the past few years alcohol began to have different effects on me... When I was in a good mood (and around others) I too would put myself in bad positions where things might go too far, and to a great degree its only a function of luck that they didn't. When I was not in a good mood I turned into a fight provoking drunk (where did that guy come from?) I never actually ended up in a bar fight or physical fight at a party but I'm sure I did my best to make myself look like a jackass to others.
Drinking used to turn me into the person I wanted to be, a less shy, more fun version of myself. Somewhere along the line it turned me into the person I NEVER wanted to be. And I was sick of it!

There are countless examples of things I DON'T MISS about drinking, and I was SICK of all of them!
For me, just how completely sick I was of the whole thing is what got me through the first few weeks, after that I began to see just how great life can be without alcohol and developed increased confidence in my ability to continue sober.

Here's one thing I HAVEN'T GOTTEN SICK OF- Waking up without a hangover!

Welcome! You will find (if you haven't already) that this is a very supportive environment for newcomers!
Old 03-16-2011, 09:17 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
On my way....

Yes, Dah, this is the best place I could've landed yesterday morning. I did a random search about rehab centers, etc....and somehow, by the grace of God, I landed here....and I've stayed the whole time except when I took the dog to class and when I managed 4 hours of sleep last night.

I also noticed yesterday when I tried to join.....that I joined here around two years ago!! I can almost guarantee it was on a morning after a bender and I was feeling the usual remorse and such. I wish I would've stayed then....can't do anything about that now, but move forward.

Everyone here has been really great, thanks for allowing me to be a bit of a postaholic (better than the other -oholic thing right? ) I'm not normally this talkative unless I've been drinking, but I feel like I'm at home here, with people who know me, even though you don't.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:34 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hope you are having a good 3rd sober day Rachel....if the weather permits, take the golden for a good long walk...i always consider this my own "meditation time"...with lots of time outs for chasing geese and squirrels.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:24 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hi Rachel...don't worry about posting a lot...check out how many posts I have...lol...the majority where in the first four months...I've since gotten slightly more reasonable. As someone who does not do AA posting o. SR was a lifeline for me in early sobriety. Also...I can't do "chat" from my phone so that was probably also a contributing factor.

There is a dog lovers section if you wanted to share photos of your puppy...nothing cuter than a golden puppy
Old 03-17-2011, 10:58 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rachel1980 View Post
I also noticed yesterday when I tried to join.....that I joined here around two years ago!!.
It wasn't your time yet -now it is.
We get a second chance because time wasn't ready for the first one.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:15 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family, you and your critters. Please do visit the gratitude forum, especially the 'animals we love' grats. And in the user created social groups forum there's a thread for dog lovers and one for cat lovers too. We'd love to see a pic of your critters.

And yes, you can do this. I've been doing this one day at a time for the last fifteen months and my life gets better every day.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:17 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
On my way....

Originally Posted by least View Post
Welcome to the family, you and your critters. Please do visit the gratitude forum, especially the 'animals we love' grats. And in the user created social groups forum there's a thread for dog lovers and one for cat lovers too. We'd love to see a pic of your critters.

And yes, you can do this. I've been doing this one day at a time for the last fifteen months and my life gets better every day.

Hi least! I beat you to the punch, I posted a pic of my best friend Riley on the grats for animals.....I couldn't help but to show her off! I'm going to check out the social groups....there's so much to this site I wasn't aware of!