Notices

am i an alcoholic

Old 03-15-2011, 04:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

am i an alcoholic

hi everyone,

quick intro so everyone knows where we are -

im 24, have been dirnking since i was about 15. for the last 5 months ive only had a dirnk 4 times, and each time got hammered.

my problem has always been that i cnt stop. for a few years my life consisted of driving straight from work on a demo site to the pub, getting slaughtered, and repeating the next day. recvering on the weekend and starting again on the monday.

I cant just have 1 drink. the times when i would only have 4 cans in the fridge, i would purposely not dirnk them until i KNEW i could get more, because just having a couple was like torture.

even now, if i have the best intentions in the world to only have 1 dirnk, only half a lager, it all goes wrong after i get the taste for it. the last 4 occasions have proved that.

i make no presumptions about other people, but i had always assumed an alcoholic was someone who literally needed a drink because they were physically addicted to it. so am i classed as an alcoholic even tho i can go without a drink without suffering withdrawal?

Many thanks for your time and any replies.

Regards,

Tom
Old 03-15-2011, 04:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

We cannot tell you if you are an alcoholic. That is something you must determine on your own. I will say that it isn't a matter of how much or how often you drink. It matters how alcohol affects you. If it has caused problems in your life, then that's something you should look at. A person doesn't have to drink every day or even once a week to be alcoholic. Binge drinkers can go days, weeks, sometimes even months without drinking, but when they do drink, they almost always drink more than they intend to. They can't just have one or two drinks and then walk away not wanting more.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Tom

There's a lot of members here who'll tell you their problems were more mental than physical.

I couldn't stop either, and when I was anticipating a drink I couldn't stop thinking about it.
Gradually I drank more and more and more, until I drank all day every day.

If it helps, forget the A word for now.

Is your drinking causing you problems? then it makes sense to quit....you've come to the right place - you'll find a lot of support and ideas here

D
Old 03-15-2011, 04:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

For now...please put aside the word alcoholic.

Try this instead....If drinking is causeing you concerns and problems
if you feel it's important to keep a supply...

then what if anything are you planning to do to improve your future?

Welcome to SR...
Old 03-15-2011, 04:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good advice here, Tryder!

If alcohol is causing you problems, you have found a place where you can get support and information.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

wow thanks for the quick replies!

i am proud of myself for going 5 months without *really* drinking. I am repeating my fist year of uni, studying chemistry. I took an access course a couple of years ago and here i am. beats labouring all my life

I think i am, or was, what you would call a binge drinker. Im not too hung up on the term alcoholic - but it was last august/september i really got thinking about my drinking, n the more i read on sites liek these, the more i realised ( think deep down i knew but was ignoring it hoping it owuld go away) that actually i did have a problem. I guess i thought brandishing myself an alcoholic was a little extreme? and besides, ive seen enough tv to make me think that once u admit ur an alcoholic, u cant dirnk again. but i never promised myself i wouldnt. safety net i suppose?
Old 03-15-2011, 04:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Not drinking again is not a chore for me - it means I can be the man I want to be and live the life I want to live

Good to have you with us tryder

D
Old 03-15-2011, 05:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tryder View Post
hi everyone,

quick intro so everyone knows where we are -

im 24, have been dirnking since i was about 15. for the last 5 months ive only had a dirnk 4 times, and each time got hammered.

my problem has always been that i cnt stop. for a few years my life consisted of driving straight from work on a demo site to the pub, getting slaughtered, and repeating the next day. recvering on the weekend and starting again on the monday.

I cant just have 1 drink. the times when i would only have 4 cans in the fridge, i would purposely not dirnk them until i KNEW i could get more, because just having a couple was like torture.

even now, if i have the best intentions in the world to only have 1 dirnk, only half a lager, it all goes wrong after i get the taste for it. the last 4 occasions have proved that.
Well...like other people have stated....only YOU can tell yourself if you are an alcoholic. We ...in recovery...can tell you what WE thought of ourselves in relation to your situation. ALot of people will tell others..."Im not an alcoholic....I only drink on SOMETIMES.....or I only drink on the weekends...." Drinking every single day...isnt the ONLY determination. Its a MYTH that one is an alcoholic only if they drink daily. You absolutely CAN be alcoholic if you only drink in such a way. What determines this is what HAPPENS when we drink. If I am unable to foresee what will happen WHEN I drink....or how MUCH I will drink WHEN I drink....then ...well....chances are...I am an alcoholic. Hey...Listen...there is NO SHAME is this. Just because we cannot drink as others do...does not mean our lives are over. You WILL learn to have fun WITHOUT alcohol. It doesnt come the NEXT day or the NEXT week in most cases....but it DOES come. Hang in there. You WILL come to your realization soon enough. Until then...AND BEYOND THAT...we are HERE FOR YOU....!!!!
Old 03-15-2011, 05:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

its really to be sober now and not have a constant lingering hangover, and i can remmeber thigns! I always have blackouts wheni drink. im pretty sure i was/am an alcoholic. there wont ever be a day where i can drink sensibly will there? a part of me hates that, but a bigger part of me feels good knowing i wont have to put up with the effects of it anymore. the last 4 times ive had a drink is when ive needed a release. not sure how to get over that feeling without dirnking
Old 03-15-2011, 05:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't believe I can ever go back to drinking no.

I have 20 years experience that suggests that's not possible...and in fact probably the greatest part of my recovery was accepting that

There's lots of other things you can do for stress - I find exercise works really well, as does a funny movie or a book...the skys the limit really with what we can do apart from drinking...

D
Old 03-15-2011, 05:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Mr. Clean...
Welcome ...thanks for sharing and joining SR...
Old 03-15-2011, 05:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Mr Clean

D
Old 03-16-2011, 04:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

thanks everyone!! Good to be here
Old 03-16-2011, 06:47 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Tryder!
Old 03-16-2011, 06:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome Tryder and Mr. Clean.

I decided that defining myself as an "alcoholic" or not did not help me with being sober (it is however an important realization for many). If i used that definition I would argue with myself over it constantly...."You can't be an alcoholic you have a job, a car, two dogs, never had a DUI,...etc, etc." So I decided I didn't care. The way I define myself now is as a "non-drinker" I embrace it and it makes me happy.

As for dealing with things and need the release of getting drunk...what about exercise instead? Or meditation? Or painting? Boxing? I don't know what will work for you, but there are other ways to deal.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My patterns sound very similar to yours. I am an alcoholic.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

im over dirnking really. it was easier to stop than i imagined. the last 5 months have been the most sober time for me since i was 16. seriously, i hadnt gone more than a week without drinking or taking drugs, it just never happened. stopped the drugs a few years ago tho.

as for the release, its not that i immediately turn to drink anymore, i can contorl it pretty well i thknk. just get that feeling now n then that u need a blowout if anyone knows what i mean. and also, sometimes im feeling good, had a good day, lovely weather etc, and i get excited thinking about having a few drinks - the last time i drunk that is why, id had a great day at uni and just wanted to top it off with a 'good night' as it were.

i dread to think what damage dirnking has done to my brain tho :'( , im slower than i used to be thats for sure, tho prozac isnt helping that atm either.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

just get that feeling now n then that u need a blowout if anyone knows what i mean.
I remember thinking that way for years tryder.

Over time tho, I've realised I don't need have those blow outs.

If I manage my life right - learn to deal with stress in healthy ways, set up good boundaries, and keep the right balance - there's nothing to blow out, if you get me?

D