Notices

loneliness

Old 03-14-2011, 01:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

loneliness

i find myself wanting to use owing to this feeling - not sure what to do since im not sure i can handle myself in internet chat either
Old 03-14-2011, 01:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

:ghug3
Old 03-14-2011, 01:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I hope you don't use! You're doing so good! Loneliness is hard, but we're here for you! It's great that you came here rather than use. I don't like internet chat either! i feel so uncomfortable in them!
Old 03-14-2011, 01:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

maybe i should read a book on lonliness - there is something about recovery that makes me want to tell everyone just what new improvements im having - - then when there is nobody to share it with.............................................. ..........................zeeeem.....down
Old 03-14-2011, 01:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

We at SR would love to hear about your improvements! What improvements have you been making? I'm sure there are some! You made it this far!
Old 03-14-2011, 01:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've never done chat so I'm not sure what you mean by having a hard time handeling it. I understand loneliness...my family is not on board with my sobriety...I live alone with my two dogs...all my friends are married with a couple of kids....etc etc.

I drank because I was lonely and could not stand my own company. When I got sober I had to address that. Through hard work and therapy I am now happy when I am alone. I still hope some day to meet someone and have a family but I am finally comfortable in my own skin.

What are you doing other than SR and not drinking?
Old 03-14-2011, 01:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Loneliness can be a sign of depression, and depression can be treated with meds. All sorts of people feel lonely, even if they have a family. It is important to feel comfortable being yourself without social interaction, but it is not uncommon for people to feel lonely if nobody is around - humans are social creatures by nature.

Perhaps you should find a hobby that involves being around people without having to be their "friends"?
If you enjoy sports - join a league for fun.
If you enjoy knitting - find a group to knit with
Book clubs,
AA,

all sorts of groups out there - a good place to find them is at Do something, Learn something, Share something, Change something - Meetup
I own a Boston Terrier, and joined a BT group for fun - there are all sorts of people I have met through my dog. just a thought.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

i have had a lust addiction which i have now broken also thats a major step, actually im only 5 weeks 5 days on that one. i now meditate. i get on better with my mum my sister and my friend j[couldnt say full name here]. i feel less paranoid although i still am quite.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That's a lot! Good for you!!! You can have a great life if you keep it up!
Old 03-14-2011, 02:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

thanks everyone with your help i was touched and managed to get into the shower to get clean it was warm and aswell as being clean i was able to have a think.

i think my pride has been eating me up i will look after myself and socialize when i feel able to do so and where i feel able
Old 03-14-2011, 02:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was always very lonely...even in a crowd...I think a lot of that was fear - I was afraid of putting myself out there, of losing control of situations, and being hurt.

Since getting sober and working hard on myself, I've grown a lot in self confidence, I've become comfortable with who I am, I'm happy in my own company and in the company of others....and I'm never lonely anymore

D
Old 03-14-2011, 02:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kevinlednylon View Post
managed to get into the shower to get clean it was warm and aswell as being clean i was able to have a think.
Yay for the magic shower!

Last edited by TotallyOverIt; 03-14-2011 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Deleted part of quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A work in progress

AA helps with loneliness, too.

Just sayin'...