Notices

my little going sober thread

Old 03-13-2011, 01:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

my little going sober thread

Well i think im going to give not drinking a propper try after meeting old school freinds and being shocked at how happy they all were and how comparitively far i had fallen in just 6 years. The direct effects of this poison on your system are bad enough, but its the indirect effects too, such as the lack of motivation to care for ones health in all areas, the future or about anything in the slightest, except the next way to get wasted.

Since getting chucked out of uni after so long studying and living at home for a year im moving out to town. I am pretty worried about my lack of work experience and how im going to cope with depression about the needless abuse to my body i have done and my social anxiety. I hope i can find the self esteem to lead a sober more dignified life. If i dont grasp what i have left and accept that it wont be perfect i will be finished at a young age.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi dancook

I found that drinking really sapped my self confidence, my self respect and my motivation.

It didn't happen overnight, and it took some effort (I found service and volunteer work was helpful for example) but I definitely got a sense of purpose and well being back in recovery....

do it, man

D
Old 03-13-2011, 01:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sounds like you have given this alot of thought. I wish you well. I hope you continue to post on SR ...let us know how you are doing. Fresh start for you! Good deal.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Dan...after I stopped drinking self doubt was replaced by self worth...self esteem rose and my lack of motivation was replaced with 'what can I do next?'
I see your join date was in '09? Looks like you've been thinking about this for a while.
Step outside into sobriety and take a deep breath. You'll be surprised at the abundance of confidence you will aquire.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I shared on your other thread in Alcoholism soooo
Hi again ...
Old 03-13-2011, 03:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Dan;

yes, you are seeing what booze has taken already. You deserve to be as happy and successful as your friends.

For me, alcohol exacerbated my chronic depression, which made me want to drink more, which made me more depressed...it was a nasty circle.

sobriety will make you feel better both mentally and physically....please keep posting and use SR as a helpful tool...there is always someone here to talk to...and that means a lot if you are craving or feeling out of sort.

I look forward to talking to you.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EmeraldRose View Post
after I stopped drinking self doubt was replaced by self worth...self esteem rose and my lack of motivation was replaced with 'what can I do next?'

Step outside into sobriety and take a deep breath. You'll be surprised at the abundance of confidence you will aquire.
Thanks for those inspiring words.

Ive got a hard test coming up, im seeing my brother who likes a drink and works in a pub in reading during the week and then travelling on to London for a weekend... *takes deep breath* even got a text from the london lot saying "we got beers in the fridge" :0
Old 03-13-2011, 03:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
Hi Dan;

For me, alcohol exacerbated my chronic depression, which made me want to drink more, which made me more depressed...it was a nasty circle.

sobriety will make you feel better both mentally and physically....please keep posting and use SR as a helpful tool...there is always someone here to talk to...and that means a lot if you are craving or feeling out of sort.

I look forward to talking to you.
Yes, exactly. My mind is very out of sorts.

You seem like a freindly bunch here!
Old 03-13-2011, 03:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Maybe you want to postpone your trip for a bit? It is really a good idea to avoid hanging out in pubs and hanging around drinkers (while they're drinking) when you are newly sober.

If you feel you must go, I very much recommend that you let your brother know that you have quit drinking and that you'd appreciate his not encouraging you to drink while you are there. A little support from someone who knows what you are doing and why can help a lot.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dancook99 View Post
Thanks for those inspiring words.

*takes deep breath* even got a text from the london lot saying "we got beers in the fridge" :0
OH That's a great place for them to be...keep them there!!!
Can you make others plans and avoid them?
Head to Frankfort instead of London. That should keep you busy.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thing is my parents are chucking me out of the house by the end of the month for being a lazy sod. So this trip is to look and research houses. Ill tell him.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I got so drunk with the same people 2 weeks ago in London i got my wallet nicked.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

The best way to put the past behind you is to not make the same mistakes, Dan
I think it would be a great idea to focus on finding somewhere to live right now, mate.

D
Old 03-13-2011, 03:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Okay im going to bed thanks for the replies so far.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Glad you've decided to give up drinking. It really makes a huge difference in everything. I love living sober.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Prayers and hugs for your new attempt to get sober. You'll get lots of support here (and we know what it's like when our friends are all too eager to get us to "join in").

Just put yourself and your sobriety first, and the rest will fall into place in time.
Glad you posted.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:38 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

lots of lifestyle changes can be difficult. you mention that your parents have asked you to leave. maybe you want to sit down and talk to them, tell them that you realize you have a severe problem and are seeking help to change and be sober.

Family support (even from a distance) can be very helpful. you do not have to do everything all at once. getting sober is a huge effort and takes a lot of energy. try to have a plan in place for the substitutions of your free time....when your friends are out drinking and getting into the pubs...what are you gonna do? this is an important strategy.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Im now going tomorrow. Ill be sleeping on my brothers sofa and researching jobs and accomodation at the local libry.

I have no idea what im going to do when they go out to drink, i dont really want to be playing xbox every night!
Old 03-14-2011, 02:55 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's a lot more to do in life than xbox too Dan - you'll find stuff

D