SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   A whole new day (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/222133-whole-new-day.html)

sismel2011 03-12-2011 10:59 AM

A whole new day

Hi, my name is mel and for the first time ever I am joining a group such as this. I do not know how I am going to do this but here I go. I have only been sober since sunday. I pray every night on the way home to not stop by store. I used to drink just to sleep weather happy or sad, I just wanted to be numb to sleep. Has anyone else felt that way?

ANGELINA243 03-12-2011 11:13 AM

I understand exactly how you feel. I used to have those feelings too. This is a good first step toward finding recovery. Reaching out can be very tough. It was hard for me at first, but once I did I did feel a sense of relief. This website (as well as AA and a few other programs) have helped me so much. I realize that I am no longer alone. Others are here to help.

Welcome Mel! :wave: Glad you are here. You will find much support. We do recover. :hug:

Anna 03-12-2011 11:18 AM

Hi and Welcome,

Yes, we do understand how really hard this is.

SR is a good place to come for support and inspiration.

CarolD 03-12-2011 11:18 AM

Welcome...:wave:

Glad you are here...many of us are winnning over alcohol
yes! so can you....:yup:

LexieCat 03-12-2011 11:29 AM

Welcome!

I drank to numb out, a whole lot. Do you have a plan for STAYING sober? I really love AA. It's helped me a great deal.

least 03-12-2011 11:31 AM

Welcome to the best recovery site everywhere.:)

MsCooterBrown 03-12-2011 11:52 AM

Hi Mel!! Welcome.

Hevyn 03-12-2011 12:00 PM

Welcome to a great place, mel - you'll find lots of people here just like you, with the same thoughts. That was the best thing for me - knowing I was no longer alone, and never had to be again. At all hours of day or night, there's someone here who will understand what you're going through.

I used alcohol for sleep, but also to not feel nervous or anxious, to numb the pain of life in general. It was the most terrible and destructive "solution" I could have ever found. I hope you can get to the bottom of your sleep problems. Congratulations on wanting a better and healthier life.

EmeraldRose 03-12-2011 12:07 PM

welcome mel!! :slider3:

Stimmed 03-12-2011 12:18 PM

Hi Sismel welcome to SR, lots of nice folk here ready to help, and cheer you up even! :-)

GodsHolyWill 03-12-2011 01:00 PM

Hi Mel! A warm welcome to SR!!! :wave: You've come to a great place and I'm so glad you found us!!! My last drink was on Tuesday the 8th, so you have more experience with sobriety than me! :) We can do this! I'm keeping you in my prayers!!

Dee74 03-12-2011 03:31 PM

Welcome mel -
yeah I remember feeling like I needed to be numb to sleep.

I actually sleep much better now than I did then - and I don't wake up wide awake at 3am anymore :)

You're not alone - you'll find a lot of support here :)

D

artsoul 03-12-2011 03:42 PM

Welcome to the forum! Drinking helped me get to sleep, but in the end, it disrupted it and of course created all kind of other problems. Like Hevyn said, alcohol is about the worse solution (for any problem) we can choose.

I've addressed my insomnia with my psychiatrist and am now taking something that is non-addictive. I know it's hard to give up our crutch, but if you read the posts around here, so many of us are grateful we did.:ghug3

tallcactus 03-13-2011 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by Hevyn (Post 2895759)
I used alcohol for sleep, but also to not feel nervous or anxious, to numb the pain of life in general.

Same here, it sure wasn't fun anymore.
Welcome Mel.
Conrats on your sober time so far. Come here often and keep us posted on your progress. You can win, you can!

Belier 03-13-2011 01:50 AM

Hi and Welcome, I used to do the same thing. Every day over and over, I made a choice late last year, that I was becoming more unhappy about drinking then being happy when I drank. BEST decision of life to stop - I am on around 70 days and life for me is just getting started. if you want this it takes some effort, strange thoughts, dreams, but it and and you are so worth it.

sismel2011 03-13-2011 12:14 PM

wow, thanks everyone!

I was doing great till yesterday. A close friend at work was fired and then my oldest son and his wife split up. I used those things to excuse getting beer last night. I am miserable today but made myself get up and go to church. I don't even like beer!

So starting over today... now I have figured out how to get back here, I will poke around and see what mischief I can get into here instead of heading to store. hope that is ok :)

Dee74 03-13-2011 02:04 PM

I found coming here and reading and posting instead of going to the store was a great help sismel - good plan! :)

D

sismel2011 03-13-2011 05:17 PM

Thanks dee, finally the alcohol is out of my system and I am no longer nausious... anyone for pizza & diet coke? lol

sismel2011 03-13-2011 06:36 PM

Just had another argument with my daughter-in-law... or rather her yelling and me just listening while she blasts away. So am moving out of shared house by April 1. I know I messed up by drinking, so deserve some of the blast. I just think I will be much happier when I no longer am dealing with her hormones.

Dee74 03-13-2011 06:52 PM

A new place sounds cool Mel.
Just stay sober and maybe try and keep a low profile at your shared house til then? :)

D