Notices

day 1

Old 03-12-2011, 04:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day 1

I put down my last drink an hour ago.. and my last smoke. I'm pretty scared right now. It took me a long time to get here, but I'm finally here. I want this!
Old 03-12-2011, 04:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations and welcome...although quitting BOTH smoking and drinking at the same time is a daunting task.

What are your plans for staying sober?
Old 03-12-2011, 05:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Welcome, and thanks for joining us! This site is an amazing place, with lots of wonderful people who have tons of experience and support to share with you.

I found this site on the day 11+ months ago that I knew I could no longer have a relationship with alcohol, and I've been here and alcohol-free ever since. Lots more has gone into my recovery, but I try to come to SR.com every single day.

I'm what folks in my AA meetings call a "real alcoholic." I would do almost anything to get a drink; lie, cheat, steal...it didn't matter, so long as I had my booze. I even drank in the car on the way home from work so I could get a nice buzz going before I got home; somehow I thought I was tricking my fiancee into thinking I was only drinking the 3-4 beers she saw me drink, and not the 2 in the car. I was a mess.

And I believe this with all my heart and soul: If I can stop drinking for an extended period of time, ANYONE can do it. I am dead serious about that. I loved the booze so much, and I was such a party guy, that if I can be sitting here with almost a year of recovery under my belt, there's absolutely no reason someone else can't do it. I'm living proof that even the worst alcoholic can get better.

Again, thanks for being here. I hope you have an awesome weekend, and please hang around for a while.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome...

Hope your de tox goes smoothly....
Please call your doctor if you run into any problems.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi se78...and welcome. Glad you found us because you're gonna need us. Hehehe. I know I did. Sober 40+ days now and I'm back at this site a gajillion times a day. Read around a bit...think about what you really want. But the first step is admitting you have a problem...good for you!
Old 03-12-2011, 11:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you found us!
Old 03-12-2011, 11:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everybody for the welcome and the encouragement. I know this isn't going to be easy, but I'm glad I've found this resource for help. Thank You!
Old 03-12-2011, 11:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome se78! Glad you joined us!!!
Old 03-12-2011, 12:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That's great Se78 Welcome to Sr. I hope you will keep posting and let us know of your progress. That is a lot to take on at once! Wishing you the best.

Have you a plan?
Old 03-12-2011, 12:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

A warm welcome se78!!!
Old 03-12-2011, 12:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
orangutan

Hi se78 I hope you hang around there are some great people here and loads of good advice.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome / Step 1

You have taken the first step. I did what you have done last Monday. Today is day 5 for me, and I have to agree with everyone, I have spent alot of time in here and it has helped me tremendously. Someone to talk to 24/7 is comforting.

Don't be scared, be determined.

Congratulations..

Thinkn
Old 03-12-2011, 02:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Day 1 is a tough day...so much guilt and anguish...but Day 2 is much better....keep coming here to get the support you will need.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard se78

D
Old 03-12-2011, 03:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome and congrats on deciding you want a better life. I remember how scary it was, too. I wanted to quit, but couldn't imagine a life without alcohol.

I took it one day at a time - the first few days I just focused on staying sober and nursing myself as though I had a bad flu. I drank lots of water, took B Vitamins, ate whatever I wanted, and read 3 billion posts here on SR! Every day I got a little bit stronger/more confident......

If you want it, you really CAN do it. You've already taken the first step.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi SE78,

Welcome to this site. I also quit smoking and drinking on the same day. For me, they just both went together. Some things that really helped me was drinking tons of water, eating healthy and a daily trip to the gym. The exercise really helped me to get rid of some of the anxiety. In the beginning, I spent a lot of time on SR. The support has been fantastic.

I've been sober for 2 1/2 months and feel fabulous and don't even look like the same person.

One day at a time ... you CAN do this.