Notices

The 'Alcoholic Mind' - Fact or Fiction?

Old 03-11-2011, 12:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The 'Alcoholic Mind' - Fact or Fiction?

Hi! I had a new thought today. I think it's really real when people talk about the 'alcoholic mind'. I mean, last night I didn't want to drink at all and felt like my normal and grateful sober self, but this morning the thought to drink just popped in my mind and it wiped away from my memory all the torture that went before and led up to this point. It felt like a switch flipped and suddenly the only thought allowed to get into my mind were those about how and when I could drink again. Reasoning was not invited to the party. I stepped back for a second and made a new thought get into my mind, and it was, "This is just the 'alcoholic mind' speaking. It's powerful but I don't have to do what it says and eventually this alcoholic mind suggestion will pass away and I will be back to my normal grateful sober self." I just have to ride it out. Did any of you find that something like this work for you, or do you have any opinions on the 'alcoholic mind'? Have a great and sober day!
Old 03-11-2011, 12:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, absolutely, I do believe there is an 'addict voice'.

For me, learning that I could hear it and let it go. It didn't control me.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Editor

Fact in my opinion or I would have been sober for 25 years now.Give or take a few
I hear it when I think that I have all my ducks in a row so to speak. Thats not true. I hear it when I least expect it. It sneaks up and tries to trick me. Its a sneaky little bugger.
"Pssst hey you. Yea you. Man a Cold beer on the deck over looking the water sounds good to me. Remember all the fun times we have had. Come on. You only live once. One wont hurt. Whats the big deal?"
I know the voice oh too well. I'm going to beat that slime ball.
Just my opinion of course
Dave
Old 03-11-2011, 01:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

I totally understand.

I view alcoholism as a disease and I know not everybody does, but to me, it explains a lot of why I would continue to do things I regretted over and over and over when I was active.

Also, I've been sober for over 15 months and I'm probably crazier than I've ever been. I removed the alcohol, but now I'm stuck with me and "me" was my main problem to begin with

I'm grateful for the program of AA as I needed a design for living without alcohol.

Kjell~
Old 03-11-2011, 01:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

yes - you should check out rational recovery's AVRT tool. that's what it's all about and is the basis of my own recovery.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can relate too. It really does feel like a separate voice that sneaks in from out of nowhere, trying to convince me to drink.

In a different thread, someone mentioned the Veruca Salt character from Willy Wonka, and for me that's a perfect description. The voice telling me to drink is just like a spoiled child, obsessing and wanting it now now now.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah. I'll always be an alcoholic. Knowing that there is an addict part of my mind that would do anything to get its fix really helped me. Basically recovery is like an armoured suit and the alcoholic mind is not there but I'm always aware that I'm an alcoholic. Gratitude is a mightily powerful tool to silence the alcoholic mind. Basically then if I stopped actively working my recovery 'one day at a time' then it wouldn't be long before the old alkie voice grew louder and louder. "Cunning, baffling and powerful" sums it all up very well for me. Knowing this is essential for my continued recovery.

Peace
Old 03-11-2011, 02:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by GodsHolyWill View Post
... Did any of you find that something like this work for you, or do you have any opinions on the 'alcoholic mind'?
IMO the "Alcoholic Mind" is simply a double-dose of Delusional Thinking. All humans suffer from Delusional Thinking. Alcoholics suffer from the Delusion that they are above Delusional Thinking.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yeah, the addict mind, that's real in my life.

There I am, bipiddy-bopping along, cheerfully minding my own business when *wham* out of nowhere I'll have what seems in the moment a perfectly reasonable urge to drink or use, and worst of all, I can see myself having ohsomuch fun doing it!

I hate that bitch. She's such a liar!
Old 03-11-2011, 03:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

It definitely felt like my addiction had a mind of its own..... Often towards the end of the afternoon, "the thought" would come and I couldn't reach for my car keys fast enough as though I was being compelled by someone with a remote control.

Until I got sober, I didn't realize there was another (sane) mind buried under the mess. I really couldn't distinguish until I'd had a few weeks of sobriety.

Great post, GHW - you described it well!
Old 03-11-2011, 03:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I completely understand what you mean by the 'alcoholic mind'. I'm going on 90 days sober but the first month especially my body would go thru a rollercoaster of being giddy that I'm not drinking to suddenly have the feeling that 'I have to have a glass of wine now!' Someone on SR gave the great advice to ride the wave and it's worked. Thanks.

I refer to the book 'understanding the alcoholic mind' often. It describes my experience as being an alcoholic to a tee.

Have a safe and sober Friday night everyone.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Yes, absolutely, I do believe there is an 'addict voice'.

For me, learning that I could hear it and let it go. It didn't control me.
Addictive voice (AV) recognition (Google: AVRT In A Nutshell) is a part of my treatment plan. The deal for me is having a greater recovery voice to counter the AV and eventually ignore as it fades with sober time.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I think my disease talks to me...........I play the tape the end and remember what it took away.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I've had that voice...I passed the bar I used to work at and saw cars already at 4pm and thought "ahhh, how nice it would be to enjoy a beer with a jack back".
But I had no intention of persuing the thought -it was a fleeting second in time...I'm the boss of me now.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you so much everyone for your great comments and for sharing your experiences! I can see that I'm not alone here! Thank you also for the advice about AVRT. I'll have to look into that! NEOMARXIST said(and others on other threads have also mentioned gratitude), "Gratitude is a mightily powerful tool to silence the alcoholic mind." I 100% believe that! I had a wonderful experience today!!!!!!!!!!!!! For me, it was praise! I started praising God for just about anything I could think of and then all of a sudden the 'alcoholic mind' left me and I felt back to my normal self! This is a true story! I am now so grateful that I didn't give in to that voice. You can bet I'll be trying that again!
Old 03-11-2011, 05:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yes, I do have an inner dialog with the disease - and my cohorts report the same.

Even scarier, and I have talked to hundreds of alcoholics/addicts in both group therapy and "in the rooms" who have reported the same sort of "pain amplification" from the disease. Amplification of both physical and emotional pain, with the only relief (kindly offered by the disease) being using and/or drinking.

Bizarre, when you get sober and start "hearing" it echo in your mind.

I know people who literally have had their bodies shattered in automobile accidents, etc. (we are an accident prone lot) who get by on a naproxyn or iboprofin every now and then. My mood disorders were a mess, but now I am fine. Not only not depressed, but happy.

The good news is, you really only have one brain, and can only think of one thing at a time. I think of something that makes me smile or brings me comfort when I hear the disease talking. I keep it simple, handy and ready for when the need arises. I pray to my higher power to take "it" away, and it happens. It is my opinion that it is how prayer works, meditation works, AVRT works, and so on.

In the meantime, I am free to work on myself in order to better the quality of my life.

A breathtaking thing when you consider where I was a little over two months ago. Over my head in that pitiful and incomprehensible demoralization. No more, I need never live that way again.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Not only do I have an alcoholic nemesis. But often I think he is smarter then me. He always knows the right times to try to trick me, and he always knows teh right things to say. I hate to admit that he has definitely won most of the arguments we have had. But I am winning this time. 16 days and counting. More arguments in this time then I can count.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Great topic, GHW! It was a big help to me to recognize the addict voice—he's a sneaky little liar. Luckily, he can't hurt me unless I listen to him.

And gratitude? I agree that's super potent stuff. The voice must hate it, because he gets real quiet whenever I'm feeling grateful.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:24 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wander2 View Post
Not only do I have an alcoholic nemesis. But often I think he is smarter then me. He always knows the right times to try to trick me, and he always knows teh right things to say. I hate to admit that he has definitely won most of the arguments we have had. But I am winning this time. 16 days and counting. More arguments in this time then I can count.
Key is never to argue, discuss, or bargain with the little voice. You must be like a true believer, fundamentally opposed to giving in to drinking/using, *regardless* of reason.

Abstinence must be an article of faith. Just tell the voice "I never drink" and it will settle down.

- JBC
Old 03-11-2011, 08:55 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

GHW creating a separation from what your mind is telling you what to do and you intention is also called defusion. The Happiness Trap provides a good explanation of this and some techniques to enhance the effect. Realizaing I did not have to believe everything I thought was a big step for me.