Notices

The 'Alcoholic Mind' - Fact or Fiction?

Old 03-11-2011, 09:12 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

If anyone is interested in a good read that help me understand why I have that alcoholic voice read "The Craving Brain" by Ronald Ruden. It gave me a good understanding of what I was dealing with.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:54 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for sharing your experiences and what you do to quiet the "addict mind"! I am also appreciative of the books 'The Happiness Trap' recommended by recycle and 'The Craving Brain' recommended by Supercrew! I think Amazon.com is going to hear from me again really soon! I love to read and anything that can help me understand and not listen to the sneaky "little voice" will be great! Thank you all!!!
Old 03-12-2011, 06:14 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Yes, there is an alcoholic mind. It is driven by the spiritual malady.

It can be fixed, though. That's what a spiritual awakening is. We get clarity that we did not have before, and the desire to drink is lifted. That's what AA promises-- not a daily grind against urges.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:18 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

I think it's those extra dopamine receptors my brain created in my limbic system, the ones made to frolic in the consistent alcohol baths. As my brain goes back to a normal number of receptors because of sobriety, they try every trick in the book to cajole, coerce, and create cravings so strong the rest of my brain goes along with having "just one more drink" despite all the negative experiences of the past.

Even when my brain balances itself back to normal (he he he, that's funny!) that voice will still be there, weaker but still there, because the limbic system is an ancient part of the brain designed to remember and reward us for the things that gives it pleasure.

I gave that voice the persona of a Komodo Dragon (since the limbic system is often called our lizard brain) because they can kill a Water Buffalo with one bite. It can take over a week for the Water Buffalo to die from blood poisoning because of the virulent bacteria in the Dragon's mouth...just like one single drink can begin a slow agonizing death through alcoholism.

So for me it's not a spiritual malady, just the natural physiology of the brain as it was designed through evolution. There are many paths to sobriety, and that's the one working for me

Murray