Notices

My AA apprehensions - much ado about nothing

Old 03-10-2011, 04:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My AA apprehensions - much ado about nothing

WOW! I just attended my first AA meeting and it was WICKED! I went to a different group's meeting on Monday (not AA) and was pretty disappointed. I also didn't have very high expectations...

So I arrive (10 mins late, my bad, I know) to everyone listening intently to some guy talking. I later found out it was his 8th anniversary and he was giving a talk - there was a spread with cake and candles and everything! So I am quickly shuffled off to a side room and given a bit of a spiel about AA and what it means. I've voiced my apprehensions about the Judeo-Christian aspects of AA elsewhere on this forum and how I was planning on translating into my own way of thinking. Now Americans, PLEASE DO NOT TAKE OFFENSE AT THIS. It actually happened this evening, so don't kill the messenger! I am in France after all, and GWB did briefly make the White House people change the name to Freedom fries... During the explanation of what AA is about, I mentioned I had looked at the 12 steps on Wikipedia. The woman promptly replied (in French of course) "Don't worry about all the talk of God. AA was started by Americans so it's understandable. All you have to think about is a Higher Power, whatever that means to you". :-). No "translation" needed at this group!

I was then seated directly to the right of the guy doing his talk (here's me thinking I could just sit at the back!), and his talk continued. I felt completely humbled at the hell he'd lived through (10 or so hospitalisations, a couple of years on the street, and so on...). Then after he finished people started talking about the day's topic "Now, I'm happy". At the very end of the "official" part, the guy who gave the talk asked me if I wanted to say anything. "Next week?" I ventured. No worries.

Everyone was just soooo friendly. No one was pushy, everyone just wanted to make me feel comfortable. What a bunch of fine people! I ended up talking with another couple of youngin's (my age or less :-)) for about 30 minutes afterwards but ended up at least exchanging a few words with about half the 20-odd people there.

There was a 25-odd yr old guy at his third meeting (6ths sober) that I was talking to who made the comment "It must just be my addictive personality or something, maybe it's in the genes, but this morning I woke up and I couldn't stop thinking about getting to tonight's meeting!". Needless to say, I think I'm hooked ;-). I got a whole bunch of numbers and lots of people telling me to call them, day or night, if I needed to.

I know, this early elation is going to fade as my recovery progresses but I am really stoked to find that there are people around me that are as cool as the people on this forum! A bunch of addicts just like me, trying to get by one day at a time.

It's been a funny old day, with ups and downs, but I'm going to bed happy tonight.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That sounds pretty much like all the AA meetings I have been to in America. Glad you liked it.

By the way GWB did not order the freedom fries thing, 2 congressmen did it.

Freedom fries - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 03-10-2011, 04:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

I'm an AA'er and I think this is great.

Keep going and if you work the steps, get ready for the ride of your life!

Kjell~
Old 03-10-2011, 04:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you are happy with the meetings!
Old 03-10-2011, 05:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations!

I've found nothing but welcome and support in AA. I'm glad your experience was good too. It's exhilarating to feel "fellowship", isn't it?
Old 03-10-2011, 05:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Strive to be alive!

Originally Posted by ChikkaB View Post
It's exhilarating to feel "fellowship", isn't it?
This is exactly what grabbed me. I remember posting about the spring in my step after my first meeting. That real sense of belonging. I'm so pleased for you. Like Kjell says, work the steps. Work the steps and you're well on your way Good for you!
Old 03-10-2011, 06:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Yay!!!

Another satisfied customer. Over x million alcoholics served.

Want (freedom) fries with that?
Old 03-10-2011, 06:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm thrilled you did go....well done.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Not sure where you are in France, but if you're in Paris I can recommend any of the english speaking meetings at the American Church. I attended two and was impressed with the group there.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cabledude View Post
Not sure where you are in France, but if you're in Paris I can recommend any of the english speaking meetings at the American Church. I attended two and was impressed with the group there.
Thanks for that. My French is actually pretty good (usually takes a few minutes before I get the "hey, you've got a bit of an accent, where are you from"), and I'm miles away from Paris anyway. One of the things I really need to do is give France a proper chance. I started drinking again after 4 years of abstinence the DAY I arrived in France 7 yrs ago. There is soooooo much more to France than just alcohol, and the last 5 years have been spent pretty much working and getting drunk... I want to REMEMBER the great things and great times!
Old 03-11-2011, 01:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I also attend meetings in another language (Swedish); what I have found is that the message is still there, whatever language you are speaking.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I go each week to a German meeting, but the language is still a barrier for me. So, when possible I hit whatever English meetings or conventions in Europe that I happen upon. Looking forward to the Netherlands convention soon.

Really envy people who can just go around the corner.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
is really trying!

Delighted it was so positive, I'm more than a little envious...Wanted to say thanks toto for PM, but I'm too much of a 'newb' to be allowed to reply!! Didn't want you to think I was being rude. When your next meeting?
Peaceful, sober w/e to all
Old 03-11-2011, 04:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cabledude View Post
I go each week to a German meeting, but the language is still a barrier for me. So, when possible I hit whatever English meetings or conventions in Europe that I happen upon. Looking forward to the Netherlands convention soon.

Really envy people who can just go around the corner.
Yeah the Alano club I go to has like 30 meetings a week, anytime from 630am to midnight.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm so happy for you.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good for you TB even by posting this you are encoraging others to give it a try- it doesnt work for everyone, but for those it does it gives amazing gifts and a whole new life, so glad you enjoyed it!
Old 03-11-2011, 06:52 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Glad you had such a positive experience.
That'll make going back easier! =)