Notices

My Update...

Old 03-10-2011, 06:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

Post My Update...

Hello SR!

Hope all are doing well and continuing to strive for sobriety and recovery. I know it's not easy and I have nothing but respect for those who undertake the journey and make genuine efforts to change their lives. As Dr. Drew Pinsky has astutely stated, "addiction is the disease of our time" and I know we here have all been touched by it.

I'm coming up on two and a half years since I quit drinking. What an amazing journey it's been and continues to be. I have returned to fitness and I have discovered spirituality. So many things have improved in my life. I changed in ways I could have never imagined when I started. My best friend continues to follow me into sobriety and he too is approaching two and a half years sober. Some of you may remember but a couple months ago I was diagnosed with HCV (HepC) and that was (is) very scary for me. Well, last month I had a biopsy and yesterday I got the news from my doctor and it literally could not have been any better.

According to my doctor and despite the likelihood that I have been infected for anywhere between 12 and 15 years; I have no cirrhosis, no fibrosis, no scarring, only mild inflammation, and no liver damage whatsoever! Also, the doctor told me I could safely put off treatment for a few years and may never need treatment at all if my disease continues this course. Hard to put into words how blessed and fortunate I feel right now. The best way I can put it is to say that it feels like I have just received a gift, and maybe I have.

Anyway, just wanted to share that news.

Again, I hope all are well. Sorry I don't post as much as I did in the past.

SR and it's members will always hold a special place in my heart and I could not have done it without the help, guidance, support and information I found here.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

After having a mascetomy in 2008 for breast cancer, then colon surgery for colon cancer 5 months later, gone through chemo, having to wear colostomy bag during chemo, then having my colon reattached, all this in the past two years,

3 months ago, I was told I have hep c. I totally freaked out. This week I went for blood test, then Friday I'm having liver biopsy. I was also told that I could of had this for many years and not even know about it. I'm hoping my biopsy results are as good as yours.

All my best to you.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Thanks for the update! I've thought of you a few times and wondered how you were doing. Glad you came back and let us know. Hope you'll stick around and help others. You would be a wonderful inspiration for someone who is where you once were.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great news! I have a couple of cousins that had HepC (haemophiliacs from transfusions), and one of them got rid of it with interferon (et al). The other is very happy and healthy though!
Old 03-10-2011, 09:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

It's still hard for me to believe that despite all the drinking & smoking (and other dumb ****, like pills) I was doing on a compromised/HCV infected liver, somehow I dodged a huge bullet and somehow have no liver damage, no liver dysfunction. I mean, how is that possible? Not some damage, not minor damage...NO damage! Wow, so grateful. Yesterday was a day of grace for sure.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

wow - that's awesome!!!! So glad you got this good news - I'm sure it's been terribly difficult to deal with. Glad you posted, too, because it's often the case that there are no symptoms with HepC and even cirrhosis......

More reasons to not drink...........(as if there aren't enough already!)
Old 03-10-2011, 06:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Wow! That really is good news. And really, an awesome reason to stay sober!

Thanks for checking back in.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's great news!

And, I think it should remind all of us that there is always hope.